Canada @ Rock Bottom

Moderator: Puja

newgalesurf

Re: Canada @ Rock Bottom

Post by newgalesurf »

I would think the coasts could support Pro Rugby. Just checked the MLR site, and there is a Toronto Arrows team listed. Is this new?
Puja

Post by Puja »

newgalesurf wrote:I would think the coasts could support Pro Rugby. Just checked the MLR site, and there is a Toronto Arrows team listed. Is this new?
Oh, I hadn't realised you didn't know. They joined in last season and reached the playoff in their first season - they're a pretty good bet to repeat the dose in the eastern conference this season. There's a few highlights of them on youtube if you want:

Puja
Backist Monk
newgalesurf

Post by newgalesurf »

Puja wrote:
newgalesurf wrote:I would think the coasts could support Pro Rugby. Just checked the MLR site, and there is a Toronto Arrows team listed. Is this new?
Oh, I hadn't realised you didn't know. They joined in last season and reached the playoff in their first season - they're a pretty good bet to repeat the dose in the eastern conference this season. There's a few highlights of them on youtube if you want:

Puja
Thanks for sharing this. Being in the prairies, this passed me by completely. Some good quality scores and play there. Hopefully a sign of things to come.

Will have to bear this in mind on future trips to the big city
Puja

Post by Puja »

newgalesurf wrote:
Puja wrote:

Puja
Thanks for sharing this. Being in the prairies, this passed me by completely. Some good quality scores and play there. Hopefully a sign of things to come.

Will have to bear this in mind on future trips to the big city
They are apparently on TSN2 next Sunday for their opening game if you want to watch on the tellybox:

Puja
Backist Monk
newgalesurf

Post by newgalesurf »

Awesome. Thanks for the tip. Will be a rugby weekend with 6N on DAZN too.

May be back in the GTA in April. May have to go see if schedules align
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Canada has just given the US the People’s Elbow:

Canada 34 v 21 USA.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mellsblue wrote:Canada has just given the US the People’s Elbow:

Canada 34 v 21 USA.
What the shit? I hadn't even checked the score cause I'd just assumed a USA victory was a given.

Fair play Canada. Still the second leg to go, but a 13 point headstart is more than handy.

Puja
Backist Monk
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

Well, that win v USA was but a mere blip. Canada lost the 2nd leg, meaning USA played Uruguay for the Americas 1 qualifying spot (taken by Uruguay).

But it gets worse.

Canada played Chile, fucking Chile, to stay in the running for the Americas 2 qualifying spot and the repechage.

They lost.

So that’s Canadian rugby right of the cliff. 30 years to go from RWC quarter finalist to failing to qualify at all.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Bloody hell. They had Ardron back for that game as well - Chile are no slouches, but that's still a hell of a result. Looks like Europe 3 will be going through the repechage untouched then.

Canada need to go all-in on MLR in my opinion. It's expensive to get a franchise, but it's not going to get any cheaper by waiting and a country the size of Canada cannot survive on on professional team alone, especially when that team is across the other side of the country to their high performance unit! Whether they need to borrow or find investors, they need a Vancouver team as an absolute bare minimum.

Puja
Backist Monk
morepork

Post by morepork »

Canada just does not dig rugby. They have hockey, then they have that Canadian football thing (like American football, but different, apparently), then they have people from Quebec getting into fights with people from the rest of the country. I'm not sure much is going to change that.
Mr Mwenda

Post by Mr Mwenda »

A few places with quite a lot of clubs if I recall? Surely no weirder than the us getting into rugger?
Mr Mwenda

Post by Mr Mwenda »

I mean surely there is potential to be greater than Chile? No disrespect to Chilean rugby intended.
morepork

Post by morepork »

I'm not sure rugger is a current priority anywhere to be frank.