Snap General Election called

Digby

Snap General Election called

Post by Digby »

May taking us to the polls this June. (edited - 8th June)

Can't see anything but a Tory win, and I can't see myself voting for anyone but the Lib Dems
Last edited by Digby on Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Digby

Re: Snap General Election called

Post by Digby »

May's premise for this is that Labour may vote against Brexit, the SNP have said they will, the Lib Dems will look to hold up government across the board to hinder Brexit, and only the Tories stand for a country that's coming together, and needs the backing of the country to rule over a divided Westminster
Stones of granite

Post by Stones of granite »

Digby wrote:May's premise for this is that Labour may vote against Brexit, the SNP have said they will, the Lib Dems will look to hold up government across the board to hinder Brexit, and only the Tories stand for a country that's coming together, and needs the backing of the country to rule over a divided Westminster
I don't think the SNP's position even registered in her calculations. This is about consolidating power at the point where Labour are the most dishevelled and disunited as they have ever been. And I never thought I would say that again after watching Kinnock fall on his arse in the surf.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Stones of granite wrote:
Digby wrote:May's premise for this is that Labour may vote against Brexit, the SNP have said they will, the Lib Dems will look to hold up government across the board to hinder Brexit, and only the Tories stand for a country that's coming together, and needs the backing of the country to rule over a divided Westminster
I don't think the SNP's position even registered in her calculations. This is about consolidating power at the point where Labour are the most dishevelled and disunited as they have ever been. And I never thought I would say that again after watching Kinnock fall on his arse in the surf.
It's what she said, whether she means what she says I don't know
Stones of granite

Digby wrote:
Stones of granite wrote:
It's what she said, whether she means what she says I don't know
She's a politician.....
Stones of granite

In any case, she already ruled out an early GE only a few weeks ago. I suppose, we were to believe she meant what she said then, and she has used rather a lot of energy instructing Nicola Sturgeon that "now is not the time".

My guess that is that opportunity to get her foot hard on Corbyn's throat was too good to miss.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Stones of granite wrote:In any case, she already ruled out an early GE only a few weeks ago. I suppose, we were to believe she meant what she said then, and she has used rather a lot of energy instructing Nicola Sturgeon that "now is not the time".

My guess that is that opportunity to get her foot hard on Corbyn's throat was too good to miss.
Other than it's possible Labour will come to their senses and end up with a much better leader post the election, and Corbyn will just be god awful for Labour for as long as he stays
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

I can see the Lib Dems doing very well out of this.
Zhivago

Post by Zhivago »

Mellsblue wrote:I can see the Lib Dems doing very well out of this.
They'll be having my vote

Все буде Україна!
Смерть ворогам!!

Edinburgh in Exile

Post by Edinburgh in Exile »

Aye, maybe they can say a rake of things, get a few seats off thew back of it and then heft it all out the window to form a coalition government with a party that at it's core is the philosophical opposite.

Not that I'm still carrying that around with me. Ha... I broke up with her god damn it.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Brexit is going to he horrendously difficult and i suspect the Govt would rather get a clear 5 year term with an increased majority. The Tories will lose a few seats to the LibDems but will make gains against Labour.

It makes perfect sense, particularly as Labour are in no position to properly contest the election.

Watching Corbyn trying to negotiate a GE with all the scrutiny that entails is going to be toe curlingly awful.
Stones of granite

Digby wrote:
Stones of granite wrote:In any case, she already ruled out an early GE only a few weeks ago. I suppose, we were to believe she meant what she said then, and she has used rather a lot of energy instructing Nicola Sturgeon that "now is not the time".

Other than it's possible Labour will come to their senses and end up with a much better leader post the election, and Corbyn will just be god awful for Labour for as long as he stays
It's a risk, although a fairly low one I think. Is there anyone remotely likely lurking in the background?
The risk of losing some ground to the Lib-Dems is higher, but that will be more than made up for by what they take from Labour.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Edinburgh in Exile wrote:
Aye, maybe they can say a rake of things, get a few seats off thew back of it and then heft it all out the window to form a coalition government with a party that at it's core is the philosophical opposite.

Not that I'm still carrying that around with me. Ha... I broke up with her god damn it.
I don't really see how they could form another coalition now, okay if the tories had a much more positive attitude to europe but that part of their party is in retreat.
SerjeantWildgoose

Post by SerjeantWildgoose »

To be fair it has effectively hoofed Unionism in whatever was left of its nads. This will give Sinn Fein the re-run of the election it has been looking for without having to risk portrayal as a party unwilling to do a deal.

Here we go folks! Sinn Fein the largest party in the Unionist Stormont Bastion? This is going to be fecking awesome!
Idle Feck
SerjeantWildgoose

I just thought that Sinn Fein would be as relevant an avenue for consideration as the Lib Dems.
Idle Feck
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

The options don't really fill me with any confidence. There's not one party I want to vote for.
SerjeantWildgoose

How about we form our own party - the Collective for Unionist and Nationalist Together? We couldn't be any worse than the CUNTs we currently have empowered over us!
Idle Feck
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

May needs to build her own mandate, and there is only one way to do that. Labour are a disaster, UKIP are in disarray so now is as good a time as any. Her biggest issue is her own right wing of the party which is increasingly dictating the tone of the debate and how much May agrees with them, her own party needs some discipline and focus.

This makes a lot of sense.
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

Sounds braw.
Digby

Post by Digby »

I would like May to explain why this decision wasn't taken a month back so it could've been wrapped up with the elections on the 4th May. It's not maybe much of a point but we're are paying now for two polling days rather than one, and what really has changed? About the only thing which might have changed is we're triggered article 50 and the EU has been unwilling to discuss a new trade deal until the divorce has been sorted, so is this a concern that EU talks will run much longer than David Davies and his hopes for concurrent talks on leaving and the new trade deal, and not not going into an election in 2020 saddled with delays and a deal emerging which may piss just about everyone off, and too not going into 2020 with the millstone of how much money we pay the EU in the divorce? This way May can campaign on getting Brexit done, and then agree to hand over a large sum of cash without a big election to follow.

Still though even if that last is true, what has changed since a month back that the snap election couldn't have been rolled up into the existing polling plans?
Adder

Post by Adder »

OptimisticJock wrote:The options don't really fill me with any confidence. There's not one party I want to vote for.
Did you not vote against Scottish independence and to leave the EU? Your choice seems like the easiest.
Stones of granite

Adder wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:The options don't really fill me with any confidence. There's not one party I want to vote for.
Did you not vote against Scottish independence and to leave the EU? Your choice seems like the easiest.
Only if you think those are the only two issues that matter.
Adder

Post by Adder »

Stones of granite wrote:
Adder wrote:
Only if you think those are the only two issues that matter.
Of course not, but they are the dominant issues of the moment and they affect all other social, economic and cultural aspects.
WiganShark

Post by WiganShark »

Ah well here's to more Tory rape and pillaging, now where have I put that jar of vaseline?
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Digby wrote:I would like May to explain why this decision wasn't taken a month back so it could've been wrapped up with the elections on the 4th May. It's not maybe much of a point but we're are paying now for two polling days rather than one, and what really has changed? About the only thing which might have changed is we're triggered article 50 and the EU has been unwilling to discuss a new trade deal until the divorce has been sorted, so is this a concern that EU talks will run much longer than David Davies and his hopes for concurrent talks on leaving and the new trade deal, and not not going into an election in 2020 saddled with delays and a deal emerging which may piss just about everyone off, and too not going into 2020 with the millstone of how much money we pay the EU in the divorce? This way May can campaign on getting Brexit done, and then agree to hand over a large sum of cash without a big election to follow.

Still though even if that last is true, what has changed since a month back that the snap election couldn't have been rolled up into the existing polling plans?
I suspect that the realisation has dawned that the EU will want to play hardball and the resultant negotiations won't end as happily as some suspected. Personally, I think I would have preferred a GE to be called prior to Article 50 being triggered as 2 years is short enough without buggering about with party politics more than normally. May inherited a poor situation and she ideally needs her own mandate, and preferably a larger majority so the right wing can't hold her to ransom too much. A GE might also help to settle the question over what sort of Brexit the public wanted, although I suspect it largely won't.