Snap General Election called

Son of Mathonwy

Re: Snap General Election called

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

I really hope Starmer is finely calculating his message to produce the greatest number of seats and then will run things in a more left-wing way, just like he promised the Labour members he'd be quite left wing to get elected leader, before breaking all those promises and moving much, much closer to the Tories in policy.

But seeing the Blairites he's gathered around himself, and watching him ditch popular positions like the bankers bonus cap and an immediate Gaza ceasefire make me fear the worst. This is looking like the New Labour strategy all over again ie basically Tory policy. Unfortunately, 2024 Tory policy is much more right wing than 1997 Tory policy, and so 2024 New Labour threatens to be much more right wing than the Blair variety, and in danger of being genuinely right of centre.
Son of Mathonwy

Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:38 pm I really hope Starmer is finely calculating his message to produce the greatest number of seats and then will run things in a more left-wing way, just like he promised the Labour members he'd be quite left wing to get elected leader, before breaking all those promises and moving much, much closer to the Tories in policy.

But seeing the Blairites he's gathered around himself, and watching him ditch popular positions like the bankers bonus cap and an immediate Gaza ceasefire make me fear the worst. This is looking like the New Labour strategy all over again ie basically Tory policy. Unfortunately, 2024 Tory policy is much more right wing than 1997 Tory policy, and so 2024 New Labour threatens to be much more right wing than the Blair variety, and in danger of being genuinely right of centre.
I suspect by being vague Starmer will allow himself some room to manoeuvre especially if he gets a decent majority. Promising to spend money though will ultimately result in the media messaging that Labour is back to tax and spend, which could be ruinous.

I suspect that many in the UK aren’t adverse to paying a little more tax, but as Theresa May noticed when you campaign on that issue it tends to hurt you quite a lot.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Tax and spend.That tired old play ground taunt. You'd think a few decades of tax breaks and selling off public infrastructure assets would have been the best counter to that taunt, but...
Puja

Post by Puja »

Sandydragon wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:19 pm
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:38 pm I really hope Starmer is finely calculating his message to produce the greatest number of seats and then will run things in a more left-wing way, just like he promised the Labour members he'd be quite left wing to get elected leader, before breaking all those promises and moving much, much closer to the Tories in policy.

I suspect by being vague Starmer will allow himself some room to manoeuvre especially if he gets a decent majority. Promising to spend money though will ultimately result in the media messaging that Labour is back to tax and spend, which could be ruinous.

I suspect that many in the UK aren’t adverse to paying a little more tax, but as Theresa May noticed when you campaign on that issue it tends to hurt you quite a lot.
Opinion polls since the u-turn are showing a reduced Labour lead, from 21-22 points to 17-18 points (with a couple going as low as 11-12 points). I think it's a horrendous mistake by Starmer - if he'd stuck to his guns, then he could claim investing in Britain's future (and hope is something that oppositions should be trying to kindle), and the Tories can't make their usual hay on "You can't trust Labour with the economy," because everyone remembers Liz Truss and is aware of the number of knives currently lined up at Sunak's back. However, "You can't trust Labour," appears to be sticking quite well, not least because it seems to be true.

Puja
Backist Monk
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Puja wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:25 pm

Opinion polls since the u-turn are showing a reduced Labour lead, from 21-22 points to 17-18 points (with a couple going as low as 11-12 points). I think it's a horrendous mistake by Starmer - if he'd stuck to his guns, then he could claim investing in Britain's future (and hope is something that oppositions should be trying to kindle), and the Tories can't make their usual hay on "You can't trust Labour with the economy," because everyone remembers Liz Truss and is aware of the number of knives currently lined up at Sunak's back. However, "You can't trust Labour," appears to be sticking quite well, not least because it seems to be true.

Puja
It was stupid of Labour to put a price tag on their green policy. Better to have had an aspiration rather than settle on a firm number so far out which could be affected by events.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Sandydragon wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:18 pm

Puja
It was stupid of Labour to put a price tag on their green policy. Better to have had an aspiration rather than settle on a firm number so far out which could be affected by events.
I mean, if they hadn't, the Conservatives would've made one for them. I still remember the last election where it was "Corbyn plans to tax you an extra £1.2 trillion to fund his spending plans" just repeated over and over and over again until it was taken as fact, when that figure was drawn from taking random policies that anyone, even a random Labour councillor, had said might be nice and pricing them up all as "Corbyn's spending splurge".

Back at the time, Starmer's £28bn sounded authoritative and full of leadership - "We have costed up what is needed to fix this problem and we are prepared to do something about it." Gods only know how Starmer has been persuaded that people will like him better by letting the Conservatives hound him into giving up on it.

Puja
Last edited by Puja on Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Backist Monk
Son of Mathonwy

Puja wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:29 pm

Puja
I mean, if they hadn't, the Conservatives would've made one for them. I still remember the last election where it was "Corbyn plans to tax you an extra £1.2 trillion to fund his spending plans" just repeated over and over and over again until it was taken as fact, when that figure was drawn from taking random policies that anyone, even a random Labour councillor, had said might be nice and pricing them up all as "Corbyn's spending splurge".

Back at the time, it sounded authoritative and full of leadership - "We have costed up what is needed to fix this problem and we are prepared to do something about it." Gods only know how Starmer has been persuaded that people will like him better by letting the Conservatives hound him into giving up on it.

Puja
I'd be surprised if anyone was that bothered with a mere 28BN, after what the Tories wasted on covid contracts and test and trace. Anyway, part of the point of this is that it's an economic stimulus, it would have driven growth, it would have more than paid for itself over time. That's the point to make.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:29 pmI'd be surprised if anyone was that bothered with a mere 28BN, after what the Tories wasted on covid contracts and test and trace.
Have you met the British Press?
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

So any freedom of movement Labour had is vanishing by the day now we are in recession. I suspect Starmer is more likely to raise taxes to protect public services than look to make efficiencies, or even to make big cuts to lower taxes. But saying that will be an open goal. Might as well protect his lead until he has to make policy announcements and demonstrate that they can be paid for.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:29 pm
Puja wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:29 pm

Back at the time, it sounded authoritative and full of leadership - "We have costed up what is needed to fix this problem and we are prepared to do something about it." Gods only know how Starmer has been persuaded that people will like him better by letting the Conservatives hound him into giving up on it.

Puja
I'd be surprised if anyone was that bothered with a mere 28BN, after what the Tories wasted on covid contracts and test and trace. Anyway, part of the point of this is that it's an economic stimulus, it would have driven growth, it would have more than paid for itself over time. That's the point to make.
Totally agree. Better IMO to have made a policy statement about using a Green Deal to drive growth and the numbers out of it.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Arguments over Gaza, antisemitism and £28bn don’t seem to have blunted the labour by-election machine. Two more huge wins, aided by some local distaste for Peter Bone in one. Projections for a 100 seat majority for Labour at the next election, although I’d expect a few stay away Conservative voters to return to the fold prior to that.

The main question now is how long will Sunak hold on hoping for something decisive? With us now officially in recession, it’s gonna take something huge to turn fortunes around now.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

I see that JRM(?) has said the low turnout (low but not abnormally so) is what caused the swing - which seems... optimistic, given the labour scandals in the lead-up to polling; and the fact that if both had had the 40% turnout threshold, and had every single one of those extra voters voted tory, they'd still have lost both seats.
Son of Mathonwy

Which Tyler wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:29 pm I see that JRM(?) has said the low turnout (low but not abnormally so) is what caused the swing - which seems... optimistic, given the labour scandals in the lead-up to polling; and the fact that if both had had the 40% turnout threshold, and had every single one of those extra voters voted tory, they'd still have lost both seats.
The general election won't be so bad for the Tories - higher turnout and a lot of those Reform UK votes will return to them. They'll still lose though.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Which Tyler wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:29 pm I see that JRM(?) has said the low turnout (low but not abnormally so) is what caused the swing - which seems... optimistic, given the labour scandals in the lead-up to polling; and the fact that if both had had the 40% turnout threshold, and had every single one of those extra voters voted tory, they'd still have lost both seats.
The narrative is that all the Tory voters either voted for Reform or stayed at home. If Sunak just cuts taxes, doubles down on the culture wars and ejects anyone who can't prove they have 15 generations of British heritage then the elections in the bag.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Ready4Rish! has denied that there's going to be a snap general election (taking us right back to 204 pages ago), but he might want to consider it because their position is getting worse by the day - not because of anything Labour are doing, but because Reform is starting to get into the public consciousness as a reasonable electoral option. FPtP is hostile to new parties because any vote outside of the favourites for a seat is a "wasted vote", but the snowball has started rolling and the more little Englanders who discover their mates are thinking about voting Reform, the more likely it is that they'll vote as well. Is it worth gambling on hoping for "better economic conditions" at the end of the summer?

There have been a poll or two in the last couple of days that see Reform at 14%. That could deliver such an electoral blow to the Conservatives that Ed Davey becomes the Leader of the Opposition, which would be highly amusing, not to mention the delight I'd see in Sunak, Badenoch, Hunt, Gove, Zahawi, Braverman, Mordaunt all lose their seats. Liz Truss would survive though, somehow.

Would also demonstrate how utterly clownshoes our electoral system is. I don't like Reform in the slightest, but there's no denying that it would be grotesquely unfair if they got 14% of the vote and 0 MPs, compared to Lib Dems getting 49 on 9%, and Green getting 2 from 7%, while Labour's 44% of the vote got them 80% of the MPs. That's not to mention the Tories getting more than double the Lib Dem's vote share to get fewer MPs.

Puja
Backist Monk
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Puja wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:07 am Ready4Rish! has denied that there's going to be a snap general election (taking us right back to 204 pages ago), but he might want to consider it because their position is getting worse by the day - not because of anything Labour are doing, but because Reform is starting to get into the public consciousness as a reasonable electoral option. FPtP is hostile to new parties because any vote outside of the favourites for a seat is a "wasted vote", but the snowball has started rolling and the more little Englanders who discover their mates are thinking about voting Reform, the more likely it is that they'll vote as well. Is it worth gambling on hoping for "better economic conditions" at the end of the summer?

There have been a poll or two in the last couple of days that see Reform at 14%. That could deliver such an electoral blow to the Conservatives that Ed Davey becomes the Leader of the Opposition, which would be highly amusing, not to mention the delight I'd see in Sunak, Badenoch, Hunt, Gove, Zahawi, Braverman, Mordaunt all lose their seats. Liz Truss would survive though, somehow.

Would also demonstrate how utterly clownshoes our electoral system is. I don't like Reform in the slightest, but there's no denying that it would be grotesquely unfair if they got 14% of the vote and 0 MPs, compared to Lib Dems getting 49 on 9%, and Green getting 2 from 7%, while Labour's 44% of the vote got them 80% of the MPs. That's not to mention the Tories getting more than double the Lib Dem's vote share to get fewer MPs.

Puja
The only argument in the Conservative party at the moment against an early election is that it's another 6 months or so of paychecks they can collect before the inevitable. I'm not suggesting that is a good thing for the country, but we are expecting the turkeys to vote for Christmas.

I was never a fan of PR, but after the last few years, including the coalition government, I think it has some real promise. The fairness bit is important but also it would force parties to cooperate as it would be less likely that one would have a majority on its own (not impossible but less likely). Both Labour and the Conservatives would lose their fringe MPs and could be more focused on what they actually represent rather than trying to appease everyone constantly. It is unfair that Reform/UKIP havent had the seats to reflect their polling (from an academic perspective - personally I couldnt give a toss about how badly they fare). The only down side is that it does open the door to the total crazies on either fringe, but equally the breakaway group during the brexit dramas might have had a better chance of being recognised as an electoral possibility than they were.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Absolutely - even people I disagree with deserve a say in the running of the country.
Added to which, compromise is almost always preferable to conflict.
If someone's got a good idea, then it's a good idea, whoever came up with it, and shouldn't be seen as "proposing policy for your opponents to steal and get credit for".
Depending on the type of PR, it also makes huge strides to combat the old "wasted vote" of someone living in a true-colour location.

ETA: The above was in response to Puja (though obviously, tending to agree with Sandy on a lot of it), damned "someone else has posted" message!
Puja

Post by Puja »

Sandydragon wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:55 amThe only down side is that it does open the door to the total crazies on either fringe, but equally the breakaway group during the brexit dramas might have had a better chance of being recognised as an electoral possibility than they were.
I think there's a reasonable chance that it might tone down the crazies somewhat. Right now, the Tories have an 80 78 64 52 seat majority, which was voted for by a lot of very sensible voters, but has been controlled by the bat-shit loony fringe for a chunk of the last 5 years, because that was who had wrested control of the party. Same with the fringe leading us from "Of course we're not going to leave the single market" to "Brexit means Brexit".

The "Big Tents" thing that we have going on right now means that anyone can claim that the will of the people was X and that they have an electoral mandate for it, despite that never really having been on the ballot paper.

I don't think I'd go full PR - I'd be in favour of the Kiwi MMP system, as that seems to strike a good balance between having a local MP while still driving a broadly proportionate result.

Puja
Backist Monk
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Puja wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:35 am
Sandydragon wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:55 amThe only down side is that it does open the door to the total crazies on either fringe, but equally the breakaway group during the brexit dramas might have had a better chance of being recognised as an electoral possibility than they were.
I think there's a reasonable chance that it might tone down the crazies somewhat. Right now, the Tories have an 80 78 64 52 seat majority, which was voted for by a lot of very sensible voters, but has been controlled by the bat-shit loony fringe for a chunk of the last 5 years, because that was who had wrested control of the party. Same with the fringe leading us from "Of course we're not going to leave the single market" to "Brexit means Brexit".

The "Big Tents" thing that we have going on right now means that anyone can claim that the will of the people was X and that they have an electoral mandate for it, despite that never really having been on the ballot paper.

I don't think I'd go full PR - I'd be in favour of the Kiwi MMP system, as that seems to strike a good balance between having a local MP while still driving a broadly proportionate result.

Puja
I'm not familiar with the Kiwi method, but I do agree that some local accountability is important, especially as local democracy is on its arse totally, and often the only recourse is to go to your MP (who tend to ignore most petitioners unless they are party donors).
Puja

Post by Puja »

Sandydragon wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:21 pm
Puja wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:35 am

Puja
I'm not familiar with the Kiwi method, but I do agree that some local accountability is important, especially as local democracy is on its arse totally, and often the only recourse is to go to your MP (who tend to ignore most petitioners unless they are party donors).
I was just reminded of the importance of having a local MP recently by a friend of mine who lives in Nottingham and had to go to Nadia Whittome about a repair on a lift in the housing they're living in (they are disabled and live on the fourth floor, so it was kinda important) - 6 months of trying with the building management sorted in 48 hours by her getting involved. I've always been impressed with her as an MP from the outside.

The Kiwi method is really cool*. You have X seats for an area, of which half are constituency MPs that are elected with FPtP as per normal. The other half are then filled up from the lists that the parties provide, in order to make the whole number of X seats proportionate.

So say you have 20% Con, 45% Lab, 12% Lib Dem, 14% Reform, 9% Green in the South West and let's fictionally say that there's 100 MPs allocated to that area. So 50 of them are FPtP, which might mean 33 Labour MPs, 12 Lib Dem, 4 Cons, 1 Green. The other 50 would then be handed out so that we get the 20/44/9/14/7 split, so that's 16 Cons, 12 Lab, 0 Lib Dem, 14 Reform, 8 Green.

Puja

*Okay, so I'm a nerd, but it's still clever.
Backist Monk
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Whilst not diminishing the impact of the local MP there, the local council should be sorting that out, and be able to manage queries and requests. Sadly they rarely can in my experience.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Sandydragon wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:42 pm Whilst not diminishing the impact of the local MP there, the local council should be sorting that out, and be able to manage queries and requests. Sadly they rarely can in my experience.
I think the key issue is that it was Nottingham and the council there have been driven bust.

Puja
Backist Monk
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Puja wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:27 pm
Sandydragon wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:42 pm Whilst not diminishing the impact of the local MP there, the local council should be sorting that out, and be able to manage queries and requests. Sadly they rarely can in my experience.
I think the key issue is that it was Nottingham and the council there have been driven bust.

Puja
Not exactly a unique situation at the moment, and even where councils are technically solvent, their lack of authority is very self-evident.