Lions Attrition - update.

Moderators: Puja, Misc Forum Mod

Donny osmond

Re: RE: Re: Lions Attrition - update.

Post by Donny osmond »

Mikey Brown wrote:I guess you can't realistically give that many guys a proper chance. Sort of understand Gatland on this one, but how bittersweet for any of the players. They're just making up the numbers.
This, but the prob is there aren't supposed to be players who feel like they're just making up the numbers, that goes against everything the lions are supposed to stand for. Maybe its the way it has to be tho?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
kk67

Re: Lions Attrition - update.

Post by kk67 »

Let's wait until after the 1st test.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

kk67 wrote:Let's wait until after the 1st test.
I think that is missing the point. Who knows, they may win as the best of british isles and Ireland should always have at least an outside chance. However, the Lions is meant to be more than that. It is meant to be an honour and a sign of having really made it. Fair enough if you need emergency cover, but if it is pre planned you get the best available players
Digby

Post by Digby »

Cameo wrote:
kk67 wrote:Let's wait until after the 1st test.
I think that is missing the point. Who knows, they may win as the best of british isles and Ireland should always have at least an outside chance. However, the Lions is meant to be more than that. It is meant to be an honour and a sign of having really made it. Fair enough if you need emergency cover, but if it is pre planned you get the best available players
I'm pretty sure the players would like the best players. After all, if you're on your last chance to force a spot in a test 23 would you rather play with an Allen or a Launchbury?
bitts

Post by bitts »

Digby wrote:Kristian Dacey, Tomas Francis, Cory Hill and Gareth Davies added to the squad, so if it is the same financial deal that's another £280k to the WRU?

And it's being reported that Allan Dell and Finn Russell will be joining them.
Thomas Francis must be the luckiest rugby player ever. Average Prem player who only plays 6N because Wales have no tight heads, now he's a lion cos Gatland is laughably biased.

Outrageous not to call up Launchberry.

I'm also irritated that Gatland has made me feel sorry for Hartley.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

bitts wrote:
Digby wrote:Kristian Dacey, Tomas Francis, Cory Hill and Gareth Davies added to the squad, so if it is the same financial deal that's another £280k to the WRU?

Thomas Francis must be the luckiest rugby player ever. Average Prem player who only plays 6N because Wales have no tight heads, now he's a lion cos Gatland is laughably biased.

Even on his own geographical terms (which are wrong), Corey Hill doesnt make sense. Jonny Gray is in Australia
Peat

Post by Peat »

Cameo wrote:
bitts wrote:

Even on his own geographical terms (which are wrong), Corey Hill doesnt make sense. Jonny Gray is in Australia
Brown over Dacey and Nel over Francis would probably have been good calls too, although not quite as clear cut as Gray over Hill. There's an argument for keeping everything local.

The argument for selecting a bunch of Welsh players who'd never have a sniff of it otherwise when there's superior players around...
ALunpg

Post by ALunpg »

The selection of the 4 Welsh players confuses me as well, with none of them even first choice in Wales.
There are many other players in all the other 3 countries sqauds that will be justifiably extremely pi#@ed off with this announcement
This is embarrassing to the players in the Lions sqaud and to every player that has stood up as a Lions player and to Lions rugby supporters of every country.
However my belief that it is not the players fault..and blaming them or even denigrating them is not right either.
This was obviously planned earlier ..that is why the Welsh Sqaud has so many players for 2 matches and the whole thing reeks.
Gatland has brought a whole shed load of shame on Welsh Rugby and more importantly impacted the Lions reputation .
Ex prop Ex coach still a Welshman and enjoying retirement
Digby

Post by Digby »

The WRU could avoid some shame in this by quickly moving to confirm they'll not receive Lions payments for these latest additions courtesy of their employee, or at the very least those monies will go to a suitable charity.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Donny osmond wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:I guess you can't realistically give that many guys a proper chance. Sort of understand Gatland on this one, but how bittersweet for any of the players. They're just making up the numbers.
This, but the prob is there aren't supposed to be players who feel like they're just making up the numbers, that goes against everything the lions are supposed to stand for. Maybe its the way it has to be tho?

I agree with you, but then I don't. The players Gatland thought had the best chance of making the test team have had an opportunity to impress. Now that the test side is taking shape, it will almost certainly be consistent over the 3 tests, barring injury or an amazing midweek game forcing a selection. Allowing the test team to focus on the tests now rather than be battered midweek makes sense.

It is not how the Lions used to be, but then all things need to adapt to survive and knackered players in a test don't do the Lions any favours either
ALunpg

Post by ALunpg »

Digby wrote:The WRU could avoid some shame in this by quickly moving to confirm they'll not receive Lions payments for these latest additions courtesy of their employee, or at the very least those monies will go to a suitable charity.
Good idea..donate it to injured players .
Eugene Wrayburn

Post by Eugene Wrayburn »

Sandydragon wrote:
Donny osmond wrote:

I agree with you, but then I don't. The players Gatland thought had the best chance of making the test team have had an opportunity to impress. Now that the test side is taking shape, it will almost certainly be consistent over the 3 tests, barring injury or an amazing midweek game forcing a selection. Allowing the test team to focus on the tests now rather than be battered midweek makes sense.

It is not how the Lions used to be, but then all things need to adapt to survive and knackered players in a test don't do the Lions any favours either
Yeah because you never get injuries in a Lions series. And when those happen, what then?

There is literally no justification for Corey Hill.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

NS. Gone but not forgotten.
Eugene Wrayburn

Digby wrote:The WRU could avoid some shame in this by quickly moving to confirm they'll not receive Lions payments for these latest additions courtesy of their employee, or at the very least those monies will go to a suitable charity.
Beause otherwise it looks pretty much indistinguishable from corruption.

Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I guess if 2 first choice players in one position go down (perfectly possible) and there are superior players that have been drafted in late it may be embarrassing for Gatland. This way he won't have to acknowledge anything was wrong with the squad.
Eugene Wrayburn

Mikey Brown wrote:I guess if 2 first choice players in one position go down (perfectly possible) and there are superior players that have been drafted in late it may be embarrassing for Gatland. This way he won't have to acknowledge anything was wrong with the squad.
But might have to send the likes of Tomas Francis and Corey Hill out to face the ABs.

Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Eugene Wrayburn wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:I guess if 2 first choice players in one position go down (perfectly possible) and there are superior players that have been drafted in late it may be embarrassing for Gatland. This way he won't have to acknowledge anything was wrong with the squad.
But might have to send the likes of Tomas Francis and Corey Hill out to face the ABs.
He has both been very conservative and very ill advised, simply to pack the bench for the next match imo; there is enough time for better players to get acclimatised whilst riding the pine.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Digby wrote: a suitable charity.
Justice4Launchbury would be a suitable one.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Eugene Wrayburn wrote:
I thought 2013 look pretty iffy in that regard, and this would be much worse if there are payments resulting from the decisions made. That's not all on Gats mind, the Lions invite such possibility in hiring a coach with such a conflict of interests
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Mr.G has said he is confident Farrell will be fit for the first test, adding that sitting out this Sat. was largely a precaution.
As predicted the bench for the Chief's game is crammed with the newbies and interestingly Joseph won't figure but Williams starts.
ALunpg

Post by ALunpg »

Galfon wrote:Mr.G has said he is confident Farrell will be fit for the first test, adding that sitting out this Sat. was largely a precaution.
As predicted the bench for the Chief's game is crammed with the newbies and interestingly Joseph won't figure but Williams starts.
Hopefully a good chance then that Joseph will be in the 23 for Sat...give them a different look on the bench ..with Watson to 15 if Halfpenny gets crocked. Joseph to cover centre and wing..he has the pace and the footwork.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Digby wrote:
Eugene Wrayburn wrote:
I thought 2013 look pretty iffy in that regard, and this would be much worse if there are payments resulting from the decisions made. That's not all on Gats mind, the Lions invite such possibility in hiring a coach with such a conflict of interests
Exactly. Unless a national coach in the lions role refuses to pick any players from his own national side, this will always be a potential accusation.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Galfon wrote:Mr.G has said he is confident Farrell will be fit for the first test, adding that sitting out this Sat. was largely a precaution.
Just a shame Tipuric is starting, it I think we all knew that the chances of him making the test team were slim.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Sandydragon wrote:
Just a shame Tipuric is starting, it I think we all knew that the chances of him making the test team were slim.
he's decided he won't beat the AB's without an 8 man suffocation up front and massive defence. I can't say I disagree awfully- any sort of loose game, and imo we'd be bifurcated.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Banquo wrote:
Sandydragon wrote:
he's decided he won't beat the AB's without an 8 man suffocation up front and massive defence. I can't say I disagree awfully- any sort of loose game, and imo we'd be bifurcated.
Forwards and backs?
Drifters and blitzers?
Welsh and the rest?
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Digby wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Sandydragon wrote: Just a shame Tipuric is starting, it I think we all knew that the chances of him making the test team were slim.
Forwards and backs?
Drifters and blitzers?
Welsh and the rest?
metaphoric.