America's Cup

jared_7

Re: America's Cup

Post by jared_7 »

As I spoke Burling got the better of Outteridge, with Artemis having to tack twice, and in the wrong place, on the second leg to the kiwis one.

Once the Kiwi boat is in front it tends to be one way sailing, the wind has dropped as well which is making the Kiwi boat faster
morepork

Post by morepork »

Being kept in it by Swedish breakdowns.
jared_7

Post by jared_7 »

Artemis ready to go and the wind speed has lifted back to what it was for the first race.
jared_7

Post by jared_7 »

Almost a huge fuck up at the end!! What the hell happened?!
morepork

Post by morepork »

Man that was close. Lost hydraulics possibly.
jared_7

Post by jared_7 »

I know absolutely nothing about sailing, but can these boats not turn just a little bit? i.e.; do they have to always do hard tacks and zig zag up the course? The reason why I ask is NZ was 300-400m ahead coming towards the last mark, rather than performing 2 hard tacks could they not have just veer a little to get across to where they need to be, I know it won't be the right sailing lines but the biggest risk (as we saw with Artemis in the first race as well) seems to be entirely in the tacking?

Anyway, up until the last 10 seconds that was a good professional performance from NZ.
morepork

Post by morepork »

They had to gybe at least once to remain on the course and keep up speed. All the foils, sails, etc need constant pressure from hydraulics that are powered by the grinders. It looked like the NZ boat ran out of pressure due to the many previous tacks. Those tacks kept the boat on a broad reach which is faster than running.
J Dory

Post by J Dory »

I believe tnz decided to concede the starts today because Artemis were faster on the first reach, but tnz had the speed advantage upwind. The finish in that third race was something else.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
jared_7

Post by jared_7 »

J Dory wrote:I believe tnz decided to concede the starts today because Artemis were faster on the first reach, but tnz had the speed advantage upwind. The finish in that third race was something else.

Not sure what the advantage would be of conceding starts, unless its all some amazingly devious ruse to "hold stuff back" for Oracle.
Spy

Post by Spy »

We did fine on 2/3 starts today. Just got mowed down on the reach to the first mark, as Artemis were very fast there.
J Dory

Post by J Dory »

jared_7 wrote:
J Dory wrote:I believe tnz decided to concede the starts today because Artemis were faster on the first reach, but tnz had the speed advantage upwind. The finish in that third race was something else.

Not sure what the advantage would be of conceding starts, unless its all some amazingly devious ruse to "hold stuff back" for Oracle.
Burling was saying in the post match press conference that they new Artemis had their number on the first reach, so didn't get aggressive, rather tried to keep it close so they could fight on the first upwind leg.
J Dory

Post by J Dory »

Kiwis get it done. Schweeeeeet.
jared_7

Post by jared_7 »

Wow, that was some performance from the Kiwis. Tactics spot on and a faster boat. Burling took both starts today after losing 6/6 previously.
J Dory

Post by J Dory »

TNZ look fast in lighter winds. Will be interesting to see how we stack up against Oracle.
jared_7

Post by jared_7 »

Sorry for the dual Civilian links but they really are on fire today:

http://www.thecivilian.co.nz/could-this ... ody-cares/
jared_7

Post by jared_7 »

Anyone up for this?
jared_7

Post by jared_7 »

Great win, burling forcing Spithill into a starting penalty and never looked back. Haha but boy, Burling really likes attempting to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory on the closing leg! Luckily It wasn't as close as the Artemis one.

Overall Kiwi boat still looks fast in these lighter breezes, although it's hard to draw conclusions yet with Oracle clearly well behind from the penalty.
jared_7

Post by jared_7 »

Kiwis get out to a 700m lead only for Oracle to claw it back to neck and neck in a fantastic 5th leg. And then, side by side, Oracle fuck the jibe and lose 500m in a single manoeuvre.

In the words of Bill Lawry "it's all happening here!"
canta_brian

Re: RE: Re: America's Cup

Post by canta_brian »

jared_7 wrote:Kiwis get out to a 700m lead only for Oracle to claw it back to neck and neck in a fantastic 5th leg. And then, side by side, Oracle fuck the jibe and lose 500m in a single manoeuvre.

How did Oracle fuck that jibe so badly?
jared_7

Re: RE: Re: America's Cup

Post by jared_7 »

canta_brian wrote:
jared_7 wrote:Kiwis get out to a 700m lead only for Oracle to claw it back to neck and neck in a fantastic 5th leg. And then, side by side, Oracle fuck the jibe and lose 500m in a single manoeuvre.

How did Oracle fuck that jibe so badly?
Yeah, should have had much more hydraulic pressure left as well after coming straight through the previous mark, while NZ had to tack twice.

So what I don't get is why Oracle don't have a second boat if they legislated for that right?
canta_brian

Post by canta_brian »

I kind of assume with Oracle that somewhere buried in their rules will be the use of a cannon to sink etnz if they look like loosing,so who knows?
jared_7

Post by jared_7 »

Dang, that is some serious performance from New Zealand. The 6 day break couldn't come soon enough for Oracle, one of their Crew on the UK coverage is saying the NZ boat is much quicker than what they faced in the LV series.
J Dory

Post by J Dory »

Kiwi youf off to a good start today. It's live on u-tube if anyone's interested.

morepork

Post by morepork »

4-0. Absolutely clinical.
jared_7

Post by jared_7 »

Well Oracle now have the faster boat, in these conditions at least. Have dropped heaps of weight and tinkered with a bunch of stuff.

But the same result. Spithill penalised on two occasions and coming off their foils twice when tacking, mistakes cost them.

NZs biggest winning margin yet.

Expect the next race to be tight though, with a faster boat surely Oracle will race a faultless display at some stage.