Moderators: Puja, Misc Forum Mod

Mr Mwenda

Re: v Crusaders

Post by Mr Mwenda »

Tah, chaps.
zer0

Post by zer0 »

Timbo wrote:Looked to me like the Crusaders are used to physically bullying teams and against that particular Lions team they ran into a side that wasn't going allow that. In fact, second half Lions really battered the Crusaders in defence.

That's largely how it goes. In tough games their pack grinds down the opposition with the offloads appearing when the opposition tires. Their backs have mostly been better this year than they have for a while, but the pack is certainly their cornerstone. Especially at the set piece.
Timbo wrote:Maybe the Lions might actually struggle more with some of the other franchises that play in a different way.
The other four franchises tend towards having more talented running backs, and are more comfortable with offloading in general, but don't have packs as strong and/or consistent as the Crusaders. See the Blues, for example. Mostly knocked around in the forwards but still bullsh*tted their way to the win via x-factor (for want of a better word). The Highlanders will be without Aaron and Ben Smith, but will play in a manner more akin to the Blues than Crusaders. Same goes for the Chiefs and Hurricanes.

Will be interesting to see if it's down to style or if the Blues were more lucky to get the Lions early up with their full squad.
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Great defensive effort - good omen for tests in terms of walkoverfest potential.
Hopefully, BIL will also be remembered for some useful attacking and try-scoring prowess too.
ALunpg

Post by ALunpg »

Stom wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:
Mr Mwenda wrote:Yo. Missed this match. Reading the updates here, is it fair to summarise as cru poor, lions better leaving a fair few points begging? There several injuries? Hogg and jd2? So the game finished with sexton and farrell? Did sexton look a bit back to his old self?
Sounds about right really. Sexton better but not 100%

Stander' performances are slightly conc RBI g when we've been banking on his carrying so heavily in Vunipola's absence. I think Obrien looked a bit like his old set though.
Stander is looking like a dirt tracker...
Stander started the 6N well but performance dropped as the matches went on. Certainly not the the top of his game,he has been worked out by a few teams.
I thought O' Mahoney put his hand up...he is a good line out option and just so nuggety in the loose.
The back line that they ended up with had a good look.about them ..and playing Teo at 13 is very interesting and may be something but Joseph is a quality player.
Watson was top at 15 ...best performance in that slot yet.
O'Brien back in harness was a big tick as was North's defence .
A good starting point but lots to work on.
Ex prop Ex coach still a Welshman and enjoying retirement
Spy

Post by Spy »

Much better performance by the Lions, and a win is good for the tour as a whole. Really well-organised defence, and fast defensive line speed. Looked just about offside sometimes, but got away with it so well-played.

Woeful from the Crusaders. Poor hands, aimless kicking, rattled by the organised and solid Lions D. Hardly fired a shot. IIRC they didn't try any kind of creative short kicking through that fast flat defensive line until the 79th minute. Mo'unga was dreadful.

Credit to the Lions for the pressure they put on the Crusaders. Boo to the Cru for coping so poorly.
Bloggs

Post by Bloggs »

I'd like to see Lawes start a game at 6. Think he could be a viable option for the first test there
dk4

Post by dk4 »

Lions responded as was expected.
Both teams had opportunities to get tries.
Cru bench not as good as first 5.
Still plenty games ahead.

Lions will be battle ready for the 1st test while NZ not so much.
Lions on other hand will loose players as well.
MrK

Post by MrK »

My take after this game on the ever evolving test team.

McGrath, George, Furlong - Id be happy with Mako btw, George did enough for me to show hes not just an impact sub
Kruis, Itoje - I actually thought AWJ did okay today but Id keep Kruis and Itoje together
Warburton, Tipric, Faletau - OBrien did okay while he was on - OMahoney was a nuisance - Ive seen nothing YET to say this formation can be bettered*

Murray, Farrell - as nailed on as any position can be
Teo, Jospeh
L Williams, Daly, Watson -Id go Williams over North and Watson put in the best of the 15 performances so far.

Owens, Mako, Sinkler, Lawes(as he provides better options than AWJ), OBrien, Webb, Sexton, Payne

* Given that Warburton will probably be selected.
skidger

Post by skidger »

I would have gone with Warburton,Tipuric and Billy. Now with Billy injured i would replace him with Faletau with Stander on the bench. All the backs bar 9 and 10 seem to be up for grabs.
jngf

Post by jngf »

Typically I miss seeing one match where the Lions best their opponents. :) Sounds like a significant improvement and that both Tipuric and O'Brien have in their very different styles a better case than Warburton for the test 7 shirt.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I'd really like to see Seymour get another chance. He actually suits Gatball somewhat and I haven't seen anything impressive from any of the the other wingers. Might be the best option to compete in the air and contain whatever strike winger NZ pick.
Digby

Post by Digby »

skidger wrote:I would have gone with Warburton,Tipuric and Billy. Now with Billy injured i would replace him with Faletau with Stander on the bench. All the backs bar 9 and 10 seem to be up for grabs.
And still he'd want to pick POM with a view to the lineout, and Haskell/Moriarty to get some dominant tackles to have NZ under resourced at the breakdown, or even better not have NZ looking to run off the ball carrier (though that'd be a lot of nerves to introduce over 3 games)
morepork

Post by morepork »

Well, that was pretty limp from the Crusaders.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Best performing backrow players thus far are Faletau, Tipuric and SOB. POM was pretty decent today to be fair. Nothing flash, just effective.

Warburton needs to have an epic game and soon to make the team.
skidger

Post by skidger »

Sandydragon wrote:Best performing backrow players thus far are Faletau, Tipuric and SOB. POM was pretty decent today to be fair. Nothing flash, just effective.

Not so sure he does. As Gatland's captain i think he pretty much only needs to be able to stand up to make the team. Pretty sure it is Warburton,Faletau and one other.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Aye. Warburton absolutely doesn't deserve his place unless he plays really well from here out. But he will start the tests no question.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Sandydragon wrote:Best performing backrow players thus far are Faletau, Tipuric and SOB. POM was pretty decent today to be fair. Nothing flash, just effective.

Based on the first three games that would be my four backrow for the test squad. However, we all know Warburton will be in there if fit enough to take the field.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Mellsblue wrote:

Based on the first three games that would be my four backrow for the test squad. However, we all know Warburton will be in there if fit enough to take the field.
Still think depending on how one approached the game you'd want a bigger tackler to help shut down a game designed keep the ball alive. And it's not like Gatland thinks collisions are an evil to be avoided in the game
canta_brian

Re: RE: Re: v Crusaders

Post by canta_brian »

morepork wrote:Well, that was pretty limp from the Crusaders.
Yep. We couldn't catch a cold.
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

No harm see a NZ team getting owned and they were, lions messed up in the 22 should have won handy, crusaders only attacks were off 3 murray passes to nobody that got picked up.

Warbs shouldn't be near the team on form, cant afford any passengers at test level. Previously dubious about watson at 15 but could be best option. Zebo/TOH be hetter than 1/2p

Sexton and SOB only one big tackle away from injury forget about them
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Hogg was unfortunate to get injured, but was he looking like a test starter before Murray elbowed him? Watson did his chances no harm that's for sure.
cashead

Post by cashead »

He never really got a chance to make any claim for the 15 jersey.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
Doorzetbornandbred

Post by Doorzetbornandbred »

The referee was appalling
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

And so we see Gatland's plan, not that comes as any surprise. This is what he'd like Wales to do but we're not quite big enough to dominate like this.

But as with Wales, I don't see it working against the ABs. They'll score tries. If we don't, we won't get enough points on the board to win. As we in Wales have wondered for the last decade, what does Howley actually do??
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Son of Mathonwy wrote:And so we see Gatland's plan, not that comes as any surprise. This is what he'd like Wales to do but we're not quite big enough to dominate like this.

But as with Wales, I don't see it working against the ABs. They'll score tries. If we don't, we won't get enough points on the board to win. As we in Wales have wondered for the last decade, what does Howley actually do??

Meanwhile Scotland & England played some very positive rugby at the weekend. The tour was doomed the minute Gatland was selected.