v Maori

Moderators: Puja, Misc Forum Mod

WaspInWales

Re: v Maori

Post by WaspInWales »

Maori doing lots of holding off the ball.
skidger

Post by skidger »

Stom wrote:Better...

But the Maori can't deal with any high balls! It's crazy.

Davies has been much improved, that's for sure. Though I'd still like a better handler at 13...
He has nailed the 13 spot today.
Stom

Post by Stom »

McKenzie at 10 was a mistake for the Maori in terms of the game...

POM has been excellent again. I really like him as a player.
Stom

Post by Stom »

skidger wrote:

Davies has been much improved, that's for sure. Though I'd still like a better handler at 13...
I wouldn't say that...(although he had before the series even started). He is even more like Mike Brown than Mike Brown...Can't pass, won't pass.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Poor from the Lions. Wasted.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Stom wrote:
skidger wrote:

I wouldn't say that...(although he had before the series even started). He is even more like Mike Brown than Mike Brown...Can't pass, won't pass.
Give it a rest Stom, you're becoming even more boring. We get it you don't like JD.
jared_7

Post by jared_7 »

This has been a great Lions performance, and a great marker for the All Blacks. They could be 40 points up if the Maori were punished earlier for repeated infringing and the Lions finishing was a bit better. I think for a side of their nature people are undervaluing how well they are getting into doing the basics well.

This really is the worst Maori side I have seen, though.
Stom

Post by Stom »

bruce wrote:
Stom wrote:
skidger wrote:
Give it a rest Stom, you're becoming even more boring. We get it you don't like JD.
Hey, look, he's been very good today. He's run good lines, he's made good tackles and he's put in some good kicks. He's had a good game, and deserves to start next week. But his handling ability and vision are nowhere near good enough. You surely cannot deny that.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Oh, and the last 5 have shown one thing: Webb needs to be the test 21... Laidlaw is absolutely shunt.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Excellent from Te'o.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Too many changes now. I would have liked to see continued momentum and put a cricket score on the MAB.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Stom wrote:Oh, and the last 5 have shown one thing: Webb needs to be the test 21... Laidlaw is absolutely shunt.
Can I revise this. What the flying F was that pass? That should have been at least a scoring opportunity. From an international 9. And we thought Ben Youngs was bad.

In other news, Ken Owens has really shown off his handling skills in his cameo.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Stom wrote:
Stom wrote:Oh, and the last 5 have shown one thing: Webb needs to be the test 21... Laidlaw is absolutely shunt.
Can I revise this. What the flying F was that pass? That should have been at least a scoring opportunity. From an international 9. And we thought Ben Youngs was bad.

And then he drops one :p
cashead

Post by cashead »

Samoa played better against the ABs than the Maori ABs did tonight against the Lions.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Stom wrote:

Owens is normally very good in that respect. Webb would offer a lot more off the bench.
jared_7

Post by jared_7 »

Barnes is appalling.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Stom wrote:

Not just bad passes, but so fwcking slow too.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

jared_7 wrote:Barnes is appalling.
On that we're in agreement - along with 99.9% of the rugby watching public.

There must be a 0.1% somewhere out there who likes him? surely? at least his boss must think he's worth it.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Good second half. Could've been great had they put the Maori to the sword properly, but much better all round.

Sexton and Murray were good. 12, 13 - good. Pack very good. Halfpenny kicked very well...solid even, just not world class, certainly no Farrell anyway.

Maori were crap. Expected much better from them, just like the Crusaders.

Will need a lot more to beat the ABs, unless they fall apart too.
Stom

Post by Stom »

WaspInWales wrote:
Stom wrote:

The slowness was my original problem. The Lions went from making a metric fecktonne of metres 1 out after quick service from Murray and forward/Te'o carries, to going backwards with glacial service and a set defense. That cannot happen against NZ, as we'd be picked off and destroyed.

On that match, I have to say I was not impressed with any Maori except NMS. They were poor, we were decent.

I thought our pack went very well, although their pack didn't turn up. But while Sexton is looking better, he's still not looking great...which isn't a good look for us. Te'o is so powerful and clever. Surely now George and Te'o will be England's 2 and 12...they have to be after these displays.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Decent scoreline. Plenty of positives if not the attacking rugby style we would like to see (and I suspect won't). However, considering that the Lions last time out lost that fixture, I think the team will be happy enough with that performance and result.
canta_brian

Re: RE: Re: v Maori

Post by canta_brian »

WaspInWales wrote:Good second half. Could've been great had they put the Maori to the sword properly, but much better all round.

Sexton and Murray were good. 12, 13 - good. Pack very good. Halfpenny kicked very well...solid even, just not world class, certainly no Farrell anyway.

Maori were crap. Expected much better from them, just like the Crusaders.

Will need a lot more to beat the ABs, unless they fall apart too.
Maori and sanders bad? Possibly, but I wonder if this version of the lions match day team is actually ptettygood at shutting teams down.

Still, both oppositions need to learn to catch a bomb. That would have made a huge difference in both games.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Stom wrote:
WaspInWales wrote:
Stom wrote:

The slowness was my original problem. The Lions went from making a metric fecktonne of metres 1 out after quick service from Murray and forward/Te'o carries, to going backwards with glacial service and a set defense. That cannot happen against NZ, as we'd be picked off and destroyed.

On that match, I have to say I was not impressed with any Maori except NMS. They were poor, we were decent.

I thought our pack went very well, although their pack didn't turn up. But while Sexton is looking better, he's still not looking great...which isn't a good look for us. Te'o is so powerful and clever. Surely now George and Te'o will be England's 2 and 12...they have to be after these displays.
Ha. This is what we've putting up with for years attempting to get this Scotland team moving (and look what happened this morning without him) and is frankly exactly how I feel about Youngs, just trade goakicking for the occasional linebreak.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Have any of the wingers done anything good yet?
Stom

Post by Stom »

Mikey Brown wrote:Have any of the wingers done anything good yet?
How? With the gameplan and the centres inside them, they don't really stand a chance...