v AB'S - First Test

Moderators: Puja, Misc Forum Mod

Eugene Wrayburn

Re: v AB'S - First Test

Post by Eugene Wrayburn »

Much better team won by not as much as I feared, but the score reflected the game. We kicked too much ball away and didn't chase it well enough. I can't think when I've seen the ABs ahead by significant margins on territory and posession. That partly reflects that we slowed their normal rate of scoring, but we barely looked like troubling them consistently from phase play. Couple of great bits of counter-attacking. Crappy levels of support for most breaks as is all too common in the NH.

that's probably as good as it gets for us. Rieko will get even better. Read will get even better. SBW will get better. Losing Ben Smith and Crotty disrupted the ABs shape in this game but even if they don't return the ABs have more than adequate replacements for them.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

NS. Gone but not forgotten.
cashead

Post by cashead »

Banquo wrote:Has Bin Smuff had problems with concussion before?
He's had more than his share of them.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
cashead

Post by cashead »

Matt Ha wrote:I feel Russel should come onto the bench. He brings an attacking swagger to a game (check highlights of Scotland's test against Italy and Wallabies) that others can't, and replacing Farrell with Sexton, or visa versa, always seems to be pretty much swapping like with like.
I'd say Gatland should go big or go home and start Russell in the next test. Sexton's been shit, Biggar's been shit, and the best 10 that had started until this point, Farrell, was well below the standard that he'd set for himself.

I don't rate Marler as a scrummager, so I'd put McGrath in at 1 (Vunipola on the bench), probably go with Owens or Best at 2 (I'd lean towards Owens at the moment. Best is a fine player, and adds a lot particularly at the breakdown, but when it comes to lineouts, he couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat), and maybe give Furlong another chance at 3 with Sinckler on the bench again.

If Lawes is fit to play, I'd put him in the second row with Itoje, with Kruis on the bench - Kruis should have built up enough good will on this tour to give him the benefit of the doubt that his poor performance in test 1 was a blip.

Back row - to be honest, O'Mahony would've been the 6 I'd picked if I were in Gatland's shoes. Doing a double openside may work once with the All Blacks, maybe, before they get ripped apart by the ABs backrow in subsequent fixtures (see: the Wallabies and Hoopcock - worked once, has never worked again). I don't think Faletau should be dropped either, when he was by far the most effective of the loose forwards, and O'Brien worked all night and got some key turnovers. I'd perhaps bring Tipuric on to the bench in place of Warburton, who added fuck-all, or maybe Stander - although his lack of pace has been exposed a few times on tour, most notably against the Blues.

Halfbacks - Murray, if fit and Webb if not. Both played well. I suppose Laidlaw would be the next cab off the rank.

First-five - As I said, Russell to start, Farrell at 22.

Midfield - Te'o and Davies, whom despite the antipathy towards him from some (I'm looking in your direction, Eugene). Why Joseph was nowhere near the test team, I don't know, so I'd put him on the bench.

Back three - Generally played OK, and Liam Williams didn't do anything stupid so I'd retain them. No idea what Halfpenny added, so I'd swap him out with Seymour or Payne.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

dk4 wrote:So whats the info for AB injuries?
-B Smith HIA?
-Kaino concussion?
-Crotty hamstring?
Gaffer's words..
'Smith failed a concussion test "so he'll go through all the protocols and we'll see how he is," Hansen said.'
"Ryan Crotty has pulled his hammy, so we already had Jack Goodhue in as a replacement to help him out with his ribs.
"Jack will be staying with us, and we will try to get Ryan ready maybe  for the last test if we're lucky."
( it's Smith's third case of concussion this season )
Don't know about Kaino - thought he was carrying a shoulder injury anyhoo.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

cashead wrote:
Banquo wrote:Has Bin Smuff had problems with concussion before?
He's had more than his share of them.
bu55er. Great player. Is it a growing issue with you- he and Coles is a fair proportion of top players (I know Beudan's eldest bro had to quit too)
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

cashead wrote:
Matt Ha wrote:I feel Russel should come onto the bench. He brings an attacking swagger to a game (check highlights of Scotland's test against Italy and Wallabies) that others can't, and replacing Farrell with Sexton, or visa versa, always seems to be pretty much swapping like with like.
I'd say Gatland should go big or go home and start Russell in the next test. Sexton's been shit, Biggar's been shit, and the best 10 that had started until this point, Farrell, was well below the standard that he'd set for himself.

I don't rate Marler as a scrummager, so I'd put McGrath in at 1 (Vunipola on the bench), probably go with Owens or Best at 2 (I'd lean towards Owens at the moment. Best is a fine player, and adds a lot particularly at the breakdown, but when it comes to lineouts, he couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat), and maybe give Furlong another chance at 3 with Sinckler on the bench again.

If Lawes is fit to play, I'd put him in the second row with Itoje, with Kruis on the bench - Kruis should have built up enough good will on this tour to give him the benefit of the doubt that his poor performance in test 1 was a blip.

Back row - to be honest, O'Mahony would've been the 6 I'd picked if I were in Gatland's shoes. Doing a double openside may work once with the All Blacks, maybe, before they get ripped apart by the ABs backrow in subsequent fixtures (see: the Wallabies and Hoopcock - worked once, has never worked again). I don't think Faletau should be dropped either, when he was by far the most effective of the loose forwards, and O'Brien worked all night and got some key turnovers. I'd perhaps bring Tipuric on to the bench in place of Warburton, who added fuck-all, or maybe Stander - although his lack of pace has been exposed a few times on tour, most notably against the Blues.

Halfbacks - Murray, if fit and Webb if not. Both played well. I suppose Laidlaw would be the next cab off the rank.

First-five - As I said, Russell to start, Farrell at 22.

Midfield - Te'o and Davies, whom despite the antipathy towards him from some (I'm looking in your direction, Eugene). Why Joseph was nowhere near the test team, I don't know, so I'd put him on the bench.

Back three - Generally played OK, and Liam Williams didn't do anything stupid so I'd retain them. No idea what Halfpenny added, so I'd swap him out with Seymour or Payne.
Thought George went ok- great darts- what did you see?
cashead

Post by cashead »

Banquo wrote:Thought George went ok- great darts- what did you see?
Offered a fair amount in the lineouts, sure. I'll grant that one. And while he wasn't lazy or anything, he was comprehensively outplayed elsewhere by Taylor, and gave up a few turnovers when the Lions could ill afford them.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

cashead wrote:
Banquo wrote:Thought George went ok- great darts- what did you see?
Offered a fair amount in the lineouts, sure. I'll grant that one. And while he wasn't lazy or anything, he was comprehensively outplayed elsewhere by Taylor, and gave up a few turnovers when the Lions could ill afford them.
By comprehensively outplayed you mean Taylor scored a good try and carried 3 times for 18 yards (inc the try), to Georges 7 carries for only 5 and one turnover (which was actually no support for a mini break round a ruck). On the other hand, George did make 20 tackles, missing 2, to Taylors 4, missing one. Just saying- though can't tell from the stats about impact on the breakdown.

(Codie will be getting a fair amount of coaching I suspect , this week).
Last edited by Banquo on Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Eugene Wrayburn wrote:Much better team won by not as much as I feared, but the score reflected the game. We kicked too much ball away and didn't chase it well enough. I can't think when I've seen the ABs ahead by significant margins on territory and posession. That partly reflects that we slowed their normal rate of scoring, but we barely looked like troubling them consistently from phase play. Couple of great bits of counter-attacking. Crappy levels of support for most breaks as is all too common in the NH.

that's probably as good as it gets for us. Rieko will get even better. Read will get even better. SBW will get better. Losing Ben Smith and Crotty disrupted the ABs shape in this game but even if they don't return the ABs have more than adequate replacements for them.
agreed on the kicking- had a bit of joy, but eventually it was just gifts.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

I don't think huge changes to the team is an answer for anything tbh. These are the best players in the best combinations the Lions have, give or take a couple.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Digby wrote:The Lions tried to fight fire with fire, but in the end we were left to watch their performance fade to black, sad but true.
Afraid that is slightly the Lions trying to rewrite history. Yes, they counter attacked which was good to see but in general play I think the plan was as we all expected
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Cameo wrote:
Digby wrote:The Lions tried to fight fire with fire, but in the end we were left to watch their performance fade to black, sad but true.
Afraid that is slightly the Lions trying to rewrite history. Yes, they counter attacked which was good to see but in general play I think the plan was as we all expected
Metallica song titles.....
Digby

Post by Digby »

Cameo wrote:
fine, fine, they were broken, beat and scarred
dk4

Post by dk4 »

Difficult to replace Crotty and Ben S.
The last one they should give him the summer(winter) off to make sure he recovers.

For Kaino, i think he was smashed in the head or shoulder by a NZ prop in one of the Lions breaks.
Eugene Wrayburn

Post by Eugene Wrayburn »

dk4 wrote:Difficult to replace Crotty and Ben S.
The last one they should give him the summer(winter) off to make sure he recovers.

For Kaino, i think he was smashed in the head or shoulder by a NZ prop in one of the Lions breaks.
ALB and NMS or Savea (to wing and Dagg to full back) or Jordie or Damien McKenzie. That's really not tricky.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

NS. Gone but not forgotten.
zer0

Post by zer0 »

I'd wager that the Accountant will be covered by either Milner-Skudder to the wing and Dagg to fullback or Cruden to first five and Barrett to fullback. I doubt we'll see J.Savea or Naholo in the same back three as Ioane as they'd, collectively, be too insecure under the high ball. Especially if it's windy in Wellington. Which it always is.
kk67

Post by kk67 »

Banquo wrote:oops...sanjay....
Yup.
kk67

Post by kk67 »

morepork wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Doorzetbornandbred wrote:
On a seek and destroy mission tonight.
Nothing else matters

One

has No Remorse.
It was close murder.
cashead

Post by cashead »

Damo McKenzie's been called in as injury cover for the ABs.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
jared_7

Post by jared_7 »

Lol, Gatland never learns

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/ar ... d=11881837

Just talk to officials in private, man. I can't help but feel he is doing his best impression of the Mourinho-being-under-siege-from-the-entie-world-will-make-my-players-perform coaching style.
Doorzetbornandbred

Post by Doorzetbornandbred »

jared_7 wrote:Lol, Gatland never learns

Just talk to officials in private, man. I can't help but feel he is doing his best impression of the Mourinho-being-under-siege-from-the-entie-world-will-make-my-players-perform coaching style.
He's a bloody muppet.
dk4

Post by dk4 »

Gatland should stop these comments. He has a good team and he should let them play the game _which they do very well_.
Can't wait for the next 2 games.

Wish i was in NZ...
Digby

Post by Digby »

Doorzetbornandbred wrote:
jared_7 wrote:Lol, Gatland never learns

He's a bloody muppet.
Not a puppet master? Edit - now I think on that it should be master of puppets

In his defence there was at least one play where Kaino took out Murray's standing leg, and never mind the ball (which had gone anyway) that's never nice to see.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

Lizard wrote:Hang on a minute - does this mean Julian Savea is released for the Hurricanes?
Yes it does!
Stom

Post by Stom »

First half in, and my thoughts mainly run like this...

You can pick out individually poor performances - Furlong, both locks, SOB and Farrell were all poor, imo - but that's not really fair, as it is the system and structure failing the players.

I don't know how many times we failed to hit a ruck with speed and precision. Absolutely embarrassing. The pick of B&I should be able to do better than that. Decision making was consistently poor, which suggests it was not an individual thing but a team orders/tactical decision.

And now onto the one humongous gulf between the two teams. Support.

When a Kiwi makes a half break, we has minimum 1 passing option at all times, sometimes 3 or 4, even. At every half break. Often he will choose to pass or offload, and thus quickly move the ball and commit defenders. We know this is what they do anyway. But if he does not make the pass, when he hits the deck he will have immediate ruck support, clearing out cleanly and quickly, and allowing the SH - who is in support always - to immediately launch another attack.

When a Lions player made a half break - often Te'o - he would look up and see one risky offload option. So he would make the right decision and take the ball into contact. But then it takes a good second for the ball to be secured, and another second for the SH to be in place to play it, and another second for the "attack" to be in position to receive the ball.

So while NZ can move the point of attack with incredible speed, stretching a pack across the pitch thinner and thinner, the Lions are slow, coming up against a set defence and often losing the ball at the breakdown due to slow support anyway.

So, sorry, but on 40 minutes when we managed to stick to within 5 points of NZ, I am instantly predicting a big 3-0. Not even close. And if Gatland thinks he has a chance of coaching NZ, he has another thing coming.