v AB'S - First Test

Moderators: Puja, Misc Forum Mod

Digby

Re: v AB'S - First Test

Post by Digby »

Digby wrote:Time to pop to the shops, something interesting seems likely to happen as a consequence
or not
Lord Llandaff

Post by Lord Llandaff »

Sexton to start with Faz and Foxy outside. Back 3 to remain. I'm not sure what benefit Halfpenny brings to the bench, given that Daly and Watson can both play FB if required.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Mush wrote:Lions ball retention let them down. The first 10 minutes they run through good phases and mixed up the distribution. After that they looked panicky with the little amount of ball they had. A bit of composure would have made s ignificant difference, i feel.
Composure let us down. Watson's near miss for example (and he was nt the only one to get carried away) but he tried to throw the miracle pass when he would have been better hanging onto it post tack and taking the ruck.

Back to the drawing board, but I don't think there are too many changes that are viable, just cutting out the error rate would be a start.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

That was a great performance from the Lions. The first try (ruined for me by Sky Pacific playing the halftime ad break 2 minutes early - I shit you not) was brilliant and garnered a round of applause (on replay) from the room of about 2 dozen kiwis I was watching with.

We were genuinely nearly just a bit worried at half time.
skidger

Post by skidger »

Lizard wrote:That was a great performance from the Lions. The first try (ruined for me by Sky Pacific playing the halftime ad break 2 minutes early - I shit you not) was brilliant and garnered a round of applause (on replay) from the room of about 2 dozen kiwis I was watching with.

Ha! Are there is the difference between New Zealand rugby and the rest of us. Easily a tier above and apart from starting Itoje i am not sure what the Lions can do. Well maybe finish off some nearly moments.
jngf

Post by jngf »

Farrell is not an instinctive 10 - unless that instinct is to kick it in the air rather than release backs.

Faletau had a very quiet game in contrast to the high standards he set earlier (though I'm hoping he has a bigger impact in the second test as he's our best 8). Watson looked lost in second half and I question if he and Daly are sufficiently quick or powerful as out and out finishers. Kruis grafts hard but isn't that powerful in the loose. AWJ is simply on one Lions tour too many at this stage in his career. I do worry tough about Itoje believing his own hype - he didn't seem to have that much impact to me when he came on and looks a bit immobile/too heavy?
Last edited by jngf on Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:32 am, edited 4 times in total.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

skidger wrote:
Lizard wrote:That was a great performance from the Lions. The first try (ruined for me by Sky Pacific playing the halftime ad break 2 minutes early - I shit you not) was brilliant and garnered a round of applause (on replay) from the room of about 2 dozen kiwis I was watching with.

Ha! Are there is the difference between New Zealand rugby and the rest of us. Easily a tier above and apart from starting Itoje i am not sure what the Lions can do. Well maybe finish off some nearly moments.
The Lions just need a Barrett or two, and a winger who can chase down R. Ioane.

Did you see that bit where he outpaced both your wings at once? Did you? I did.

(sorry, I've been drinking fruit cocktails involving creme de menthe)

Post by Banquo »

zer0 wrote:
Banquo wrote:ah I see, was being dim!
TBF "traded in for a Ferrari" would've been clearer, I think.
fair play :)
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Lord Llandaff wrote:Sexton to start with Faz and Foxy outside. Back 3 to remain. I'm not sure what benefit Halfpenny brings to the bench, given that Daly and Watson can both play FB if required.
Faz is no 12 at this level imo.
skidger

Post by skidger »

Banquo wrote:
Lord Llandaff wrote:Sexton to start with Faz and Foxy outside. Back 3 to remain. I'm not sure what benefit Halfpenny brings to the bench, given that Daly and Watson can both play FB if required.
What level would he look good at 12? There should be a ban on any international coach picking him at 12.
skidger

Post by skidger »

Lizard wrote:
skidger wrote:

We don't have any apart from possibly George Ford. B) We dont have any.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

I thought the lions were okay but NZ were very impressive and might have run away with it without the injuries in their backs. They just seemed to make yards on every carry. I think that was probably good angles more than poor tackling. Retallick was my man of a match.

For the Lions, it is still a questions of supporting breaks and finishing tries. I dont think I would have started from here but I would bring Tipuric in and Itoje. I'd also bring Joseph or maybe North onto the bench for Halfpenny. Dont think itl be enough though
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

skidger wrote:
Lizard wrote:
skidger wrote:

We don't have any apart from possibly George Ford. B) We dont have any.
To be fair I think Finn Russell is closer in style to Barrett than Ford. Not that I dont rate ford
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

skidger wrote:
Banquo wrote:
What level would he look good at 12? There should be a ban on any international coach picking him at 12.
He's fine at club level. Pains me to say even that!
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Lions could definitely still make a game of it next week. For all the NZ brilliance they scored from a quick tap when the Lions switched off, a scrum advantage when the Lions switched off and a high ball that went through Liam Williams' hands.

For me, Lions must get their line out drive going. I don't know if the AB's were doing anything dodgy sacking it repeatedly, but they need to sort it. Keep being aggressive in defence. I felt that the AB's showed some slick skills on the adv line early and after that the Lions were too quick to stand off and drift. And it was noticeable to me that they looked a bit shell shocked on a few occasions after NZ had scored. They must believe they can beat them, or everything else is pointless. And breakdown, got to get better - Warburton in on the flank and Itoje for AWJ would help.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

The NZ tries might not have been from phase play but I think on another day they could have got a couple more that way. Agree Lions have a chance though, as they should
skidger

Post by skidger »

These are great ratings for the Lions.....

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugb ... s-13233286
Doorzetbornandbred

Post by Doorzetbornandbred »

AB's just did what they always do and attacked what was perceived to be the Lions strength and nullified it. Rowntree needs to sort his shit out with the scrum "hokey cokey" scrummaging wont get us anywhere. Next 2 weeks are going to be hard going for the Lions, the AB's will get better yet.
old-n-slo-2nd-row

Post by old-n-slo-2nd-row »

Williams played well until his knock, should have been off and that try from the high ball wouldn't have happened. Davis missed a number of tackles, including two in the build up to the first try. Scrum only came under pressure after the subs, as did the functioning of the lineout. I don't think AWJ offered anything. Kruis was nowhere near his best.
Spy

Post by Spy »

Haven't felt a buzz like that around Eden Park since the 2011 RWC, although I guess tonight was a more festive occasion. Less grimly serious than WC knockouts. A LOT of Lions fans, and all good humoured stuff.

I thought Read was outstanding in his first game back, and Retallick was just immense. I was surprised at how easily we broke the Lions defence down. We played a lot of rugby close to the ruck and got a lot of mileage with offloads in that area. Very smart tactics.

Pleased to see SBW really charging hard onto the ball. He did a good job. Scrum went well. Lineout not so much.

Stunning try for the Lions. Genuine standing ovation material. Generally though, their predicted game plan of smothering defence, set piece dominance and lineout drives didn't really happen for them tonight. It's looked effective against some good NZ teams, but the All Blacks beat the defensive system and counter mauled quite well.

Good game. Thoroughly enjoyable occasion.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Timbo wrote:Lions could definitely still make a game of it next week. For all the NZ brilliance they scored from a quick tap when the Lions switched off, a scrum advantage when the Lions switched off and a high ball that went through Liam Williams' hands.

For me, Lions must get their line out drive going. I don't know if the AB's were doing anything dodgy sacking it repeatedly, but they need to sort it. Keep being aggressive in defence. I felt that the AB's showed some slick skills on the adv line early and after that the Lions were too quick to stand off and drift. And it was noticeable to me that they looked a bit shell shocked on a few occasions after NZ had scored. They must believe they can beat them, or everything else is pointless. And breakdown, got to get better - Warburton in on the flank and Itoje for AWJ would help.
Breakdown is the key (speed up ours, slow down theirs), plus ceding the tackle line too easily and not stopping offloads. Plus soft turnovers and overdoing the box kicks.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

skidger wrote:These are great ratings for the Lions.....

ouch. Bit harsh on George, whose throwing was top notch.
old-n-slo-2nd-row

Post by old-n-slo-2nd-row »

What a joke!
Big D

Re: RE: Re: v AB'S - First Test

Post by Big D »

Banquo wrote:

I thought George had a decent game. Plenty of tackles made too.
Banquo

Re: RE: Re: v AB'S - First Test

Post by Banquo »

Big D wrote:
Banquo wrote:

I thought George had a decent game. Plenty of tackles made too.
me too, solid first international start :)