v AB'S - First Test

Moderators: Puja, Misc Forum Mod

Galfon

v AB'S - First Test

Post by Galfon »

POM skipper.Warbs on bench.SOB gets a start.

Backs: Liam Williams (Wales); Anthony Watson (England), Jonathan Davies (Wales), Ben Te'o (England), Elliot Daly (England); Owen Farrell (England), Conor Murray (Ireland).

Forwards:  Maka Vunipola (England), Jamie George (England), Tadhg Furlong (Ireland); Alun Wyn Jones (Wales), George Kruis (England); Peter O'Mahony (capt, Ireland), Sean O'Brien (Ireland), Taulupe Faletau (Wales)
Last edited by Galfon on Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ALunpg

Re: v AB'S - First Test

Post by ALunpg »

Good selections...gone on what he has seen on tour.
Ex prop Ex coach still a Welshman and enjoying retirement
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Replacements:
16. Ken Owens (W) 17.Jack McGrath (I) 18.Kyle Sinckler (E)
19.Maro Itoje (E) 20. Sam Warburton (W)
21.Rhys Webb (W) 22. Jonathan Sexton (I)
23. Leigh Halfpenny (W)
Last edited by Galfon on Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buggaluggs

Post by Buggaluggs »

Itoje gave a few penalties away which probably counted against. Not sure ½p makes sense as a 'closer'. Still, pretty strong looking side.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Liam Williams over Halfpenny, I did not see that coming.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Very happy with that...although would've preferred to see JJ start ahead of Foxy. Not the team I expected Gats to go with...but it's a good one.
ALunpg

Post by ALunpg »

Sandydragon wrote:Liam Williams over Halfpenny, I did not see that coming.
Neither did I ..but he deserves his chance..Gatland said he wanted more attack from 1/2p .and Liam produced the goods on Tuesday
Dropping North was right ..Daly and Watson have been a step better.
I am however trying to work out why select Halfpenny on the bench ... surely Watson or Daly could cover 15 and sexton the kicking if Farrell is out. Better to have put Nowell or Joseph on the bench ..must be some logic I can't yet fathom.
Ex prop Ex coach still a Welshman and enjoying retirement
Epaminondas Pules

Post by Epaminondas Pules »

Just don't like the midfield. Neither is much of a passer. My only real complaint. Hard to see an alternative mind, but it's not creative at all.
Doorzetbornandbred

Post by Doorzetbornandbred »

AB's by 18+
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

That's a decent team I think. Has picked backs more on form than I thought he would
I R Geech

Post by I R Geech »

Epaminondas Pules wrote:Just don't like the midfield. Neither is much of a passer. My only real complaint. Hard to see an alternative mind, but it's not creative at all.
Agreed. Faz had better have his best kicking boots on.
Buggaluggs

Post by Buggaluggs »

Perhaps the thought is to protect a slim lead with 15-20 mins to go by bringing on defensive players. Bold move it pays off I s'pose.
p/d

Post by p/d »

ALunpg wrote:
Neither did I ..but he deserves his chance..Gatland said he wanted more attack from 1/2p .and Liam produced the goods on Tuesday
I am however trying to work out why select Halfpenny on the bench ... surely Watson or Daly could cover 15 and sexton the kicking if Farrell is out. Better to have put Nowell or Joseph on the bench ..must be some logic I can't yet fathom.
Williams at FB is a great shout. Looks every bit an FB and a bloody good one at that.

Common sense prevailed over North
Puja

Post by Puja »

Alun Wyn Jones is baffling, especially considering that the rest of the team appears to be picked on form. Not a clue how he's ahead of Itoje, Lawes or Henderson, although you could probably make a case for him being ahead of Cory Hill.

Aside from that, it looks like a good team. Well done Gatland.

Puja
Backist Monk
skidger

Post by skidger »

Puja wrote:Alun Wyn Jones is baffling, especially considering that the rest of the team appears to be picked on form. Not a clue how he's ahead of Itoje, Lawes or Henderson, although you could probably make a case for him being ahead of Cory Hill.

Puja
Experience. I can see why he has done it is as the front five have very little Lions experience and a few not much test experience. So he has chosen a wily old veteran for this game with Itoje to come on with 30 mins to go. I was just hoping North would not be included so will happily take the rest.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Epaminondas Pules wrote:Just don't like the midfield. Neither is much of a passer. My only real complaint. Hard to see an alternative mind, but it's not creative at all.
I'd have played JJ, or at least benched him. Don't see the point of 1/2p on the bench, with three players starting who can play 15.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

ALunpg wrote:
exactly this
Buggaluggs

Post by Buggaluggs »

Perhaps Gats is planning a rearguard defensive stand to protect a 2 point lead for the last 20 mins. ½p is a good tackler.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Buggaluggs wrote:Perhaps Gats is planning a rearguard defensive stand to protect a 2 point lead for the last 20 mins. ½p is a good tackler.
its a theory! Think its more loyalty tho.
p/d

Post by p/d »

skidger wrote:
Puja wrote:Alun Wyn Jones is baffling, especially considering that the rest of the team appears to be picked on form. Not a clue how he's ahead of Itoje, Lawes or Henderson, although you could probably make a case for him being ahead of Cory Hill.

Puja
Experience. I can see why he has done it is as the front five have very little Lions experience and a few not much test experience. So he has chosen a wily old veteran for this game with Itoje to come on with 30 mins to go. I was just hoping North would not be included so will happily take the rest.
Which begs the question why he isn't captain.......not that it matters a jot 'cause Owen will be gobbing off to the ref following kicking out on the full, getting penalised for a swinging arm and mocking JD2 over his headgear
Lizard

v AB'S - First Test

Post by Lizard »

All Blacks:

1. Joe Moody (25)
2. Codie Taylor (16)
3. Owen Franks (91)
4. Brodie Retallick (61)
5. Samuel Whitelock (85)
6. Jerome Kaino (78)
7. Sam Cane (41)
8. Kieran Read (97)
9. Aaron Smith (59)
10. Beauden Barrett (50)
11. Rieko Ioane (2)
12. Sonny Bill Williams (34)
13. Ryan Crotty (26)
14. Israel Dagg (62)
15. Ben Smith (61)

Reserves: 16. Nathan Harris (5) 17. Wyatt Crockett (59) 18. Charlie Faumuina (47) 19. Scott Barrett (5) 20. Ardie Savea (13) 21. TJ Perenara (30) 22. Aaron Cruden (47) / Lima Sopoaga (7) 23. Anton Lienert-Brown (10)

Ioane a bit of a bolter over J Savea and Naholo. Otherwise, pretty orthodox stuff. ALB can feel a bit hard done by, perhaps.
skidger

Post by skidger »

p/d wrote:
skidger wrote:

Puja
Which begs the question why he isn't captain.......not that it matters a jot 'cause Owen will be gobbing off to the ref following kicking out on the full, getting penalised for a swinging arm and mocking JD2 over his headgear
If he had more hair then i believe he would have been made captain.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Lizard wrote:All Blacks:

1. Joe Moody (25)
2. Codie Taylor (16)
3. Owen Franks (91)
4. Brodie Retallick (61)
5. Samuel Whitelock (85)
6. Jerome Kaino (78)
7. Sam Cane (41)
8. Kieran Read (97)
9. Aaron Smith (59)
10. Beauden Barrett (50)
11. Rieko Ioane (2)
12. Sonny Bill Williams (34)
13. Ryan Crotty (26)
14. Israel Dagg (62)
15. Ben Smith (61)

Reserves: 16. Nathan Harris (5) 17. Wyatt Crockett (59) 18. Charlie Faumuina (47) 19. Scott Barrett (5) 20. Ardie Savea (13) 21. TJ Perenara (30) 22. Aaron Cruden (47) / Lima Sopoaga (7) 23. Anton Lienert-Brown (10)

Ioane a bit of a bolter over J Savea and Naholo. Otherwise, pretty orthodox stuff. ALB can feel a bit hard done by, perhaps.
I like ALB too, i guess they wanted Crotty's more direct running, to run off SBW.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

I think it's Hansen's usual loyalty in giving a former incumbent first shot once he's fit and back in the squad. Given the likely approach of the Lions' midfield, defensive considerations probably played a part,too.

Either way, not a bad problem to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post by Banquo »

Lizard wrote:I think it's Hansen's usual loyalty in giving a former incumbent first shot once he's fit and back in the squad. Given the likely approach of the Lions' midfield, defensive considerations probably played a part,too.

Either way, not a bad problem to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I guess, but ALB is no defensive slouch. I guess he and SBW are both kind of playmakers, though very different. Wasn't ALB incumbing before SBW?