Team v Hurricanes

Moderators: Puja, Misc Forum Mod

Banquo

Re: Team v Hurricanes

Post by Banquo »

Numbers wrote:
Puja wrote:
Lizard wrote:Gats is saying it's because of all the fuss kicked up about devaluing the jersey.
Ironically, it's devaluing the jersey even more by having the six be pariahs who aren't allowed to play, but will still go down in history as touring.

Bet Scotland are thrilled about losing Finn Russell shortly before the loss to Fiji for what appears to be literally no reason at all.

Puja

So he calls in 6 players as they are close at hand and unlikely to have any jetlag issues, then he is derided by the English media for devaluing the Lions jersey, he responds by not playing those players in an effort to appease the media, he is then derided for not playing those players.

Really?
Muppet call in the first place, compounded muppetry for then being swayed by the 'English Media'. Not sure why you'd want to defend it.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Sandydragon wrote:
Matt Ha wrote:
Puja wrote:
Ironically, it's devaluing the jersey even more by having the six be pariahs who aren't allowed to play, but will still go down in history as touring.

Bet Scotland are thrilled about losing Finn Russell shortly before the loss to Fiji for what appears to be literally no reason at all.

Puja
A bit insulting to Russell in a way. Regarded by many as one of Europe's finest fly halves he gets just four minutes of game time--that is one big 'FuXX you' from Gatland that is going to turn even more Scots against the Lions. But then again Finn did say 'yes' and made a hefty sum of cash to do pheck all.
And the national coaches were told (allegedly) exactly what Gatland was planning.

I really can't wait for a coach from another home nation to take over this circus. I used to enjoy the lions, now it seems that even rugby fans fail to buy into whats its supposed to be about.
what do you mean? Picking on poor old Warren?
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Banquo wrote:
Numbers wrote:
Puja wrote:

Puja

So he calls in 6 players as they are close at hand and unlikely to have any jetlag issues, then he is derided by the English media for devaluing the Lions jersey, he responds by not playing those players in an effort to appease the media, he is then derided for not playing those players.

Really?
Muppet call in the first place, compounded muppetry for then being swayed by the 'English Media'. Not sure why you'd want to defend it.
Explain why it was a muppet call?

I don't like witch hunts.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Banquo wrote:
Sandydragon wrote:
Matt Ha wrote:
A bit insulting to Russell in a way. Regarded by many as one of Europe's finest fly halves he gets just four minutes of game time--that is one big 'FuXX you' from Gatland that is going to turn even more Scots against the Lions. But then again Finn did say 'yes' and made a hefty sum of cash to do pheck all.
And the national coaches were told (allegedly) exactly what Gatland was planning.

I really can't wait for a coach from another home nation to take over this circus. I used to enjoy the lions, now it seems that even rugby fans fail to buy into whats its supposed to be about.
Are you 5 years old?
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Numbers wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Numbers wrote:

Really?

Because he could have easily picked replacements who were next in line for the squad- acclimitisation pretty much a non issue, especially as he didn't even use them. And the proof of muppetry is in the eating.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Numbers wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Sandydragon wrote: And the national coaches were told (allegedly) exactly what Gatland was planning.

Are you 5 years old?
No 55. I was asking a simple question.......what is it we aren't buying into. It seems you guys are unhappy that Gatland is being criticised.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Banquo wrote:
Numbers wrote:
Banquo wrote:

Because he could have easily picked replacements who were next in line for the squad- acclimitisation pretty much a non issue, especially as he didn't even use them. And the proof of muppetry is in the eating.
Absolute nonsense.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Banquo wrote:
Numbers wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Are you 5 years old?
No 55. I was asking a simple question.......what is it we aren't buying into. It seems you guys are unhappy that Gatland is being criticised.
You may or may not have noticed but the team is performing better than anyone thought it would prior to the series, yet still continual critcism, it's just boring and lazy.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Numbers wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Numbers wrote:
Are you 5 years old?
You may or may not have noticed but the team is performing better than anyone thought it would prior to the series, yet still continual critcism, it's just boring and lazy.
Think you are just making a sweeping accusation against some legitimate and other criticism. So again, what is it we are not buying into?
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Numbers wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Numbers wrote:

Absolute nonsense.
Acclimitisation a non -issue? How do the Super 15 teams cope then?
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Banquo wrote:
Numbers wrote:
Banquo wrote: Because he could have easily picked replacements who were next in line for the squad- acclimitisation pretty much a non issue, especially as he didn't even use them. And the proof of muppetry is in the eating.
Absolute nonsense.
http://www.science.uct.ac.za/news/scien ... ugby-teams
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Banquo wrote:
Numbers wrote:
Banquo wrote: No 55. I was asking a simple question.......what is it we aren't buying into. It seems you guys are unhappy that Gatland is being criticised.
Think you are just making a sweeping accusation against some legitimate and other criticism. So again, what is it we are not buying into?
You aren't buying into the Lions.

Whether you like it or not the coach is Gatland, get over it and support the team.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Numbers wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Numbers wrote:

Whether you like it or not the coach is Gatland, get over it and support the team.
You do know that would defeat the whole point of a forum right?

You can support a team and not like the way it is run and not agree with decisions made.

As for them performing better than anyone expected. I find that strange. They've lost two midweek games and drawn one and lost the first test comfortably. I think they played okay in the first test and Im not saying they have done terribly but Im not sure whose expectations they have exceeded so far.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Numbers wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Numbers wrote:

So support doesn't include criticising the coach or team- that's strange. And for the record I was out in Australia in 2013, supporting the Lions. Massive fan, and have been since I can remember.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Numbers wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Numbers wrote:
Absolute nonsense.
'can have' and a study that's about 4 years old. But I accept there could be some effect, but as these guys were going to be riding pine for the first game, he could have taken the very small risk and got the players next in line, all of whom were playing test rugby and fit- so pretty much a non-issue for me. Its fair to say that's his decision, but it was the wrong call both at the time and with hindsight- the team today would certainly have benefitted from having a set of replacements he was actually prepared to use, and you'd have to question him flogging the midweek team last week- though in fairness that was an excellent performance, as was 60 minutes today.

I think it was a bad call, you disagree. That doesn't mean I don't support the Lions, and indeed am supportive of the fact that Gatland has decided his tactics to beat the AB's and picked a side accordingly- for example, I have supported JD2's inclusion over JJ, as his style suits the gameplan (and indeed have agreed that he is an underrated player generally).
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Banquo wrote:
Numbers wrote:
Banquo wrote: Acclimitisation a non -issue? How do the Super 15 teams cope then?
'can have' and a study that's about 4 years old. But I accept there could be some effect, but as these guys were going to be riding pine for the first game, he could have taken the very small risk and got the players next in line, all of whom were playing test rugby and fit- so pretty much a non-issue for me. Its fair to say that's his decision, but it was the wrong call both at the time and with hindsight- the team today would certainly have benefitted from having a set of replacements he was actually prepared to use, and you'd have to question him flogging the midweek team last week- though in fairness that was an excellent performance, as was 60 minutes today.

I think it was a bad call, you disagree. That doesn't mean I don't support the Lions, and indeed am supportive of the fact that Gatland has decided his tactics to beat the AB's and picked a side accordingly- for example, I have supported JD2's inclusion over JJ, as his style suits the gameplan (and indeed have agreed that he is an underrated player generally).
Strange that your post on the 1st test thread contradicts that...
morepork

Post by morepork »

Eff that being a Lions coach. No love anywhere.Were any other coaches realistically available? Does the coach appointment process require candidates presenting a strategy that is assessed by a wider group? I still think the Lions have the personnel to do the damage but the whole nature of the set demands a coaching ambush. The AB coaches saw exactly where the dangers were in the opposition and reacted accordingly. You can be sure that they will tweak the template even further for the second test. Selection of the bench to me seems absolutely crucial for the Lions and that is where things have really landed arse first. I would be making it my mission to nail the AB 8-9-10 axis and drag their pack into the trenches. Box kicks and reliable line out were just not where that first test was focused. I'm not sure the Lions coaches have planned for that eventuality.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Numbers wrote:
Banquo wrote:

Strange that your post on the 1st test thread contradicts that...
This one?
problem is that inside them they have the washing machine, boshing Ben and no-hands JD2! I'd have probably picked Sexton and JJ, but neither suit the game plan Gats is heading for, and I don't blame him for that.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Surely the more worrying point is the implication that the test team is set and that none of those that played 80 minutes in this game had any chance to force their way into the test team? Part of the greatness of past lions tours has been the ability of certain players to force their way into the reckoning but for me the refusal to use the subs suggests that the 23 is now set as is the game plan.
morepork

Post by morepork »

By the way, was another head injury (Biggar) brought back on after the injury?
bitts

Post by bitts »

I'm genuinely asking, if they were pre-planned what was the reasoning behind not having arranged Launchberry and others call ups so that they would join the part earlier?

I get the jet lagged thing, up to a point, but wouldn't this be the way round it?
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

switchskier wrote:Surely the more worrying point is the implication that the test team is set and that none of those that played 80 minutes in this game had any chance to force their way into the test team? Part of the greatness of past lions tours has been the ability of certain players to force their way into the reckoning but for me the refusal to use the subs suggests that the 23 is now set as is the game plan.
In fairness, Daly and Williams played their way into the first team in the previous midweek game.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

North to feature in the 2nd test?
cashead

Post by cashead »

I wonder how the Geography Six must be feeling right now, being denied a chance to prove their worth as Lions, because their coach is a gutless wonder? Not to mention the fact that Hill, Francis, Davies and Dacey have just had their national team coach pretty much say that they're not good enough.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
Eugene Wrayburn

Post by Eugene Wrayburn »

morepork wrote:By the way, was another head injury (Biggar) brought back on after the injury?
Yes. Again. Just terrifying.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

NS. Gone but not forgotten.