2nd Test Team

Moderators: Puja, Misc Forum Mod

Buggaluggs

2nd Test Team

Post by Buggaluggs »

British & Irish Lions: 15 Liam Williams, 14 Anthony Watson, 13 Jonathan Davies, 12 Owen Farrell, 11 Elliot Daly, 10 Johnny Sexton, 9 Conor Murray, 8 Taulupe Faletau, 7 Sean O’Brien, 6 Sam Warburton (c), 5 Alun Wyn Jones, 4 Maro Itoje, 3 Tadhg Furlong, 2 Jamie George, 1 Mako Vunipola

Replacements: 16 Ken Owens, 17 Jack McGrath, 18 Kyle Sinckler, 19 Courtney Lawes, 20 CJ Stander, 21 Rhys Webb, 22 Ben Te’o, 23 Jack Nowell
Doorzetbornandbred

Re: 2nd Test Team

Post by Doorzetbornandbred »

Has anyone ever been picked as captain and then dropped entirely for the next test before?
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

ah well
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I know which SBW will be doing.
Stom

Post by Stom »

oh
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Can't see how AWJ has earned a spot. I'd give webb a start if they do want to get a back line going far quicker than murray. the 10/12 has failed anytime the lions have tried it and pretty sure it wont work Saturday either. Owens could do with a start too. AB's will cross the gainline at their leisure and score 6 tries
Timmyspicyman

Post by Timmyspicyman »

I'm a huge fan of AWJ but I must say I'm mystified by his selection. He looked like there was something wrong with him on Saturday. Maybe there was, and maybe he's recovered? Dunno. Weird.

I'm up for a 2nd 5/8th instead of a crash ball 12, but I also suspect SBW will be licking his lips. Farrell just isn't a match physically for him.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Jesus. That selection just looks panic-stricken - "Let's chuck out everything we've worked up to so far and try new things, any new things, whether they go together or not. Except dropping AWJ. We won't try that."

Puja
Backist Monk
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Timmyspicyman wrote:I'm a huge fan of AWJ but I must say I'm mystified by his selection. He looked like there was something wrong with him on Saturday. Maybe there was, and maybe he's recovered? Dunno. Weird.

I'm up for a 2nd 5/8th instead of a crash ball 12, but I also suspect SBW will be licking his lips. Farrell just isn't a match physically for him.
I'm more worried about the dog legs they'll exploit than Faz getting trampled, plus suspect he will want to make a 'statement' early doors. I also think the kiwis will be delighted that have one less runner to bother about.
ALunpg

Post by ALunpg »

Banquo wrote:
Timmyspicyman wrote:I'm a huge fan of AWJ but I must say I'm mystified by his selection. He looked like there was something wrong with him on Saturday. Maybe there was, and maybe he's recovered? Dunno. Weird.

I'm more worried about the dog legs they'll exploit than Faz getting trampled, plus suspect he will want to make a 'statement' early doors. I also think the kiwis will be delighted that have one less runner to bother about.
Yep ..but we will be OK the AB centres will be arguing whose turn it is to punch the line :D

Its as if the AB were not making ground after the collision impact last week..but what on earth makes the Lions defence team or any of the selectors think that this will stop or restrict that happening and give us more physicality at the breakdown ?. It will be a busy defensive shift for the Lions back row...again.

I will just sit down and shake my head violently for 5 minutes ..
Ex prop Ex coach still a Welshman and enjoying retirement
Digby

Post by Digby »

There's always the chance Farrell will finally look a 12, which would be good news for England.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Also a genuine question here as I've seen very little of this tour, has Warburton actually done anything (to show he will offer what the pack/POM were missing) on this tour to earn the spot? Or his he just Gatlands guy? He was good in the Ireland game, but I can't really remember seeing him be truly effective for quite a while.

The team could certainly do with him at top form, but is that likely?
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

Another genuine question: Is this the same Owen Farrell that's played 12 in nearly every test England has played in the last two years, of which they have lost one?

Post by Banquo »

Lizard wrote:Another genuine question: Is this the same Owen Farrell that's played 12 in nearly every test England has played in the last two years, of which they have lost one?
fair
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Banquo wrote:
Lizard wrote:Another genuine question: Is this the same Owen Farrell that's played 12 in nearly every test England has played in the last two years, of which they have lost one?
fair
Might as well get Hartley flown in to replace George and Brown to replace Williams......plus Haskell to replace SOB. The Hask hasn't lost any matches under Jones.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mellsblue wrote:
Banquo wrote:
fair
Might as well get Hartley flown in to replace George and Brown to replace Williams......plus Haskell to replace SOB. The Hask hasn't lost any matches under Jones.
now you are talking....
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

I dont like him at 12 but it has worked at times at least. Against Scotland for example it helped shred our midfield defence. Against crusaders I thought him and Sexton looked okay too
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

Mellsblue wrote:
Banquo wrote:
fair
Haskell has started 11 times under Jones, Farrell 17 (behind only Hartley, Brown, Ford & Cole).
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

No centre has played in more test wins since RWC2015 than Owen Farrell.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Lizard wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
Banquo wrote: fair
Haskell has started 11 times under Jones, Farrell 17 (behind only Hartley, Brown, Ford & Cole).
You're right. It was a silly idea.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

I'd be all for it!
skidger

Post by skidger »

The same one yes. I don't think you would need more than one hand to count the good games he has personally had in that time. Most England fans that are not related to him believe for England to improve and catch the Kiwis an upgrade at 12 is very much needed.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Cameo wrote:I dont like him at 12 but it has worked at times at least. Against Scotland for example it helped shred our midfield defence. Against crusaders I thought him and Sexton looked okay too
They picked up on a technical weak point in how Scotland defend mind, and then the Scottish midfield all set about solving that problem with individual plays and ignored it was open to them to work as a team. Even if the Lions can find a technical weak point in NZ's midfield defence I don't imagine it'll rattle NZ to not use team systems.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

skidger wrote:
The same one yes. I don't think you would need more than one hand to count the good games he has personally had in that time. Most England fans that are not related to him believe for England to improve and catch the Kiwis an upgrade at 12 is very much needed.
I've got no argument with any of that but it's fair to say that he's now a test 12, not a makeshift converted 10.
skidger

Post by skidger »

Lizard wrote:
skidger wrote:
I've got no argument with any of that but it's fair to say that he's now a test 12, not a makeshift converted 10.
Agreed. But watching all his games there I also think it is fair to say he is a very so,so test 12.