v AB'S - Second Test

Moderators: Puja, Misc Forum Mod

morepork

Re: v AB'S - Second Test

Post by morepork »

That was a great series. Was the making of a number of great ABs.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

loudnconfident wrote:
Lord Lucan wrote:[deleted]
It would be great to see the all blacks humbled in their own backyard, especially at Eden park with its long unbeaten record.
Is this the last NZ loss at Eden Park in 1994(?). Anyway, France win a 2-match series in NZ. Not an everyday event... This try - proof that truly great teams have great tries scored against them - NZ have 2 of the tops, with Gareth Edwards in the BaaBaas and this one, IMO the best ever:

More on Saturday! (I hope!)
That is a try if beauty. Shame the French don't do that anymore.
morepork

Post by morepork »

No no. They're fine just the way they are.
Buggaluggs

Post by Buggaluggs »

Last edited by Buggaluggs on Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buggaluggs

Post by Buggaluggs »

cashead wrote:
Buggaluggs wrote:
cashead wrote: The classic, textbook example of how to try to wade into a discussion with nothing to actually say. Tone-policing, straw man and ad hominem.
Classic..YES
Textbook....YES
Nothing to say.....NO
I actually nailed you completely, and described your rants on this thread accurately . You can't see that because the red rage mist blinds you.

You are, however, still very amusing - so please continue to rant like a little trained poodle. We find your predicable bile to be very entertaining.
Still going with the tone-policing are you? And I see you're trying a bit of the puppet-master gambit too. Keep it up, bro.
You really are insignificant, aren't you?

Great come back, by the way, you fucking loser
Puja

Post by Puja »

Okay, so I'm not mod here and have no power, but I have to step in to point out that neither of you are coming off particularly impressively here and that each retort just makes the pair of you look sillier. Probably best to just leave it at that and agree to quietly dislike each other, no?

Puja
Backist Monk
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Puja wrote:Okay, so I'm not mod here and have no power, but I have to step in to point out that neither of you are coming off particularly impressively here and that each retort just makes the pair of you look sillier. Probably best to just leave it at that and agree to quietly dislike each other, no?

Puja

Do you reckon we should retain the same 23 as last Saturday?
Puja

Post by Puja »

Numbers wrote:
Puja wrote:Okay, so I'm not mod here and have no power, but I have to step in to point out that neither of you are coming off particularly impressively here and that each retort just makes the pair of you look sillier. Probably best to just leave it at that and agree to quietly dislike each other, no?

Puja

I'd drop AWJ for Lawes and promote Henderson onto the bench, but other than that, I would. I'll eat humble pie over Sexton/Farrell given the result, although I'm not sure I was entirely wrong. A different day may easily have led to a different result.

Puja
Backist Monk
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Puja wrote:
Numbers wrote:

Puja

I'd drop AWJ for Lawes and promote Henderson onto the bench, but other than that, I would. I'll eat humble pie over Sexton/Farrell given the result, although I'm not sure I was entirely wrong. A different day may easily have led to a different result.

Puja
I thought AWJ was excellent whilst he was on the field, tho Henderson has also been very good so much of a muchness, I'd probably go for AWJ for his experience. I'd prefer to have Teo in at 12 to negate Laumape tho that would reduce our attacking options significantly.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Numbers wrote:
Puja wrote:
Numbers wrote:

Puja
I thought AWJ was excellent whilst he was on the field, tho Henderson has also been very good so much of a muchness, I'd probably go for AWJ for his experience. I'd prefer to have Teo in at 12 to negate Laumape tho that would reduce our attacking options significantly.
Fekitoa may start I'm reading....also interesting that Laumape was equally, if not more, challenged in defence in a different way. Like Puja, I was not happy with Sexton and Faz being paired- but they did provide a good shape to our attack and were causing issues before SBW went off, and managed to create the overlap that lead to the 1st try...and you'd think on a dry day would be even better; on the other hand, the AB's will have learned now.

AWJ tricky- he was good for 55 mins or so, but Henderson offers a different (and potentially 80 minute) game. Mako as a starter is worth a review as well- scrum problems overstated by Barnes, discipline was poor, but his is usually pretty good.....on the other hand, his strength in the loose in attack isn't being used.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Numbers wrote:
Puja wrote:
Numbers wrote:

Puja
The thing is that I want Lawes to start, as I see him as clearly superior to AWJ in lineout work and his defence and ability to make big tackles would be an asset against what is likely to be a very pissed off All Blacks side. Knock the stuffing out of Barrett (legally) a couple of times and they might be a different side.

AWJ vs Henderson would usually come down on AWJ's side, but I'm not sure how much of an impact he'd make from the bench.

Te'o's an interesting one - on the one hand, I don't think my analysis that Sexton and Farrell don't complement each other is wrong. However, they did turn in a solid performance, with Fazlet drawing enough defenders to run Sexton's favourite wrap-around and Sexton using Farrell as an option on the pull-back ball (most notably for George's break for Murray's try, where Laumape almost had to hold up a little sign saying "Oh Boy, Was I Suckered!" for rushing up on Farrell). Given that it worked, it feels wrong to change it, but I'm still not sure it's the right combo overall.

In short, not sure.

Puja
Backist Monk
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Same team for me. I trust Mako to not (ever!) be such an idiot again. Beyond that I can't see a compelling reason to change anything.

On the AB's, i'd prefer to see them pick Laumape over Fekitoa, just because Fekitoa is an outstanding defender and he has an annoying habit of scoring important international try's.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Puja wrote:Given that it worked, it feels wrong to change it, but I'm still not sure it's the right combo overall.

In short, not sure.

Puja
Pretty much my feeling watching England over the last year or so.
cashead

Post by cashead »

Buggaluggs wrote:You really are insignificant, aren't you?

Great come back, by the way, you fucking loser
It took you two goes to post this tripe?

Edit: And three days to come up with this response? A bit on the slow side, are we?
Last edited by cashead on Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Timbo wrote:Same team for me. I trust Mako to not (ever!) be such an idiot again. Beyond that I can't see a compelling reason to change anything.

On the AB's, i'd prefer to see them pick Laumape over Fekitoa, just because Fekitoa is an outstanding defender and he has an annoying habit of scoring important international try's.
I think I'd be inclined to go with the same team as well, I think Mako will have been read the riot act over last saturdays penalty fest and am quite happy that he will react accordingly.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Swop the loose heads. AWJ either starts or doesn't make the squad. I'd be inclined to leave as is but wouldn't be fussed either way. Tipuric for Stander on the bench. Leave the backs as is with Joseph for Nowell on the bench.
Laumape looks like a liability to me. Granted I've seen nothing of him other than on this tour but I feel that if he were in a NH he be derided as a one dimensional lump. If he does start I think we can target him in defence.
Digby

Post by Digby »

What's the schedule for the Lions this week? In 2013 the last week saw the squad left alone with downtime, and with less time spent with the coaches the team promptly produced their best performance.

Got to think at the end of a long season and with two tests already under their belt bringing in some energy with the likes of McGrath, Cole, Lawes, Henderson, maybe POM again can only help, but then who to leave out? Mako could well move to the bench and even outside the energy consideration he couldn't complain
skidger

Post by skidger »

Digby wrote:What's the schedule for the Lions this week? In 2013 the last week saw the squad left alone with downtime, and with less time spent with the coaches the team promptly produced their best performance.

Got to think at the end of a long season and with two tests already under their belt bringing in some energy with the likes of McGrath, Cole, Lawes, Henderson, maybe POM again can only help, but then who to leave out? Mako could well move to the bench and even outside the energy consideration he couldn't complain
Two days off at the start of the week and allowed to booze.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Numbers wrote:
Puja wrote:
Numbers wrote:

Puja
I wouldn't go so far as to say excellent, but he was good. His experience shone throughout, tbh, unlike the 1st game. I think he enjoyed playing with Itoje.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Digby wrote:What's the schedule for the Lions this week? In 2013 the last week saw the squad left alone with downtime, and with less time spent with the coaches the team promptly produced their best performance.

Bungee jumping
oldbackrow

Post by oldbackrow »

Banquo wrote: Bungee jumping
Dwarf tossing? :twisted:
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

oldbackrow wrote:
If Laidlaw were to do it, which definition would it fall under?
oldbackrow

Post by oldbackrow »

Mellsblue wrote: If Laidlaw were to do it, which definition would it fall under?
I thought the way Laidlaw passes he was practicing for that! (Sorry any Gloucester or Scottish fans but he must have the worst pass for an international 9 other than Bergamasco!)
skidger

Post by skidger »

Mellsblue wrote:
oldbackrow wrote:
If Laidlaw were to do it, which definition would it fall under?
Dwarf on dwarf crime.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

oldbackrow wrote:
Mellsblue wrote: If Laidlaw were to do it, which definition would it fall under?
I thought the way Laidlaw passes he was practicing for that! (Sorry any Gloucester or Scottish fans but he must have the worst pass for an international 9 other than Bergamasco!)
Believe me, as a Scotland fan, I am sorry too. You have watched England's first choice number 9 though, right? I think he's about the only top level scrumhalf who is less consistent than Laidlaw.