v AB'S - Second Test

Moderators: Puja, Misc Forum Mod

WaspInWales

v AB'S - Second Test

Post by WaspInWales »

Sexton at 10, Farrell 12.

Itoje and AWJ in the second row.

Warbs, O'Brien and Faletau in the back row.

Courtney Lawes, CJ Stander and Jack Nowell on the bench.
WaspInWales

Re: v AB'S - Second Test

Post by WaspInWales »

Vunipola
George
Furlong
Itoje
Jones
Warburton
O'Brien
Faletau
Murray
Sexton
Daly
Farrell
Davies
Watson
Williams
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Bench:
Owens
McGrath
Sinckler
Lawes
Stander
Webb
Te’o
Nowell
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Weirdly I wanted to see changes made but now that they have been it feels like Gatland and Howley just don't have a plan to beat the AB's. I think that I'll come down on the positive side and say that they recognized that it didn't work and have tried something different.

We were beaten in the ruck last time so Warburton makes sense, though feels harsh on POM to drop out entirely. Bringing in Ijote and Lawes is probably the right move but I didn't think AWJ looked like he could keep up the pace anymore in the first test.

It's the 10-12 axis that will generate the debate. Could it work as a partnership, certainly. I'm far less sure that it will however. someone needs to pass flatter and hit more runners at pace before getting the ball a bit wider and bringing in the back three to the game more. Both players have the skillset to do it but it's asking a lot of the backrow to compete with the ABs at the breakdown and then provide that option. I suspect that what we'll see is much more tactical kicking to the corners and more garrryowens (a mistake).

Nowell to the bench is ok. I'd have preferred Seymour on purely parochial Scottish grounds but he at least offers more than halfpenny in terms of impact. On the other hand if you're looking for impact I think that you actually want a player more explosive than either Halfpenny of Nowell.
Buggaluggs

Post by Buggaluggs »

Sexton / Farrel is less beef than Farrel / Te'o and the ABs have beefed up - not sure about that. Nowell always seems to make things happen, especially late on - so good bench call. Perhaps North covers more positions and adds more threat than Te'o on the bench, but dropping Te'o out of the 23 altogether seems harsh. If AWJ is poor again there will be some explaining to do, but I guess experience is important and the other locks, though talented, do lack his years and years and years of experience. Still think Tipuric adds more right now than Warbuton, not just slowing ball down, but supporting his backs and general link play. Still, hardly a soft team. Let's get on with it!
Eugene Wrayburn

Post by Eugene Wrayburn »

Some very odd calls there.

I don't see what Stander had done to deserve a place on the bench. I'd you wanted to have some late heft to bring on and rampage then Henderson has been more effective but Tipuric seems the better option if you're going to play a 2nd 5.

Sexton and Farrell has been conspicuously unsuccessful. What problem is it designed to solve?

AWJ is extraordinarily lucky.

Nowell on the bench is fucking mental.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

NS. Gone but not forgotten.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Didn't see that coming. I suppose it's a roll the dice and see what happens type of selection, it could be a master stroke, but equally I feel that SBW will like running straight and hard at Sexton and Farrell. Teo will certainly provide impact, hopefully not to late.

Really not sure about Nowell.

Stander over Tips. dont agree with that at all and AWJ is very lucky. Henderson very unlucky.
Eugene Wrayburn

Post by Eugene Wrayburn »

Sandydragon wrote:Didn't see that coming. I suppose it's a roll the dice and see what happens type of selection, it could be a master stroke, but equally I feel that SBW will like running straight and hard at Sexton and Farrell. Teo will certainly provide impact, hopefully not to late.

Really not sure about Nowell.

Stander over Tips. dont agree with that at all and AWJ is very lucky. Henderson very unlucky.
I just don't see how. It's not SBW running straight and hard at Sexton and Farrell that worries me. It's Beauden running through the massive dog legs that Farrell tends to create.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

NS. Gone but not forgotten.
Beasties

Post by Beasties »

So the 10/12 axis that finished last week's game so anonymously is preferred to the one player who gave the Lions go forward? Uuurgh. Don't get the AWJ selection at all, how was he deemed to have performed while Kruis (barring his dodgy hands) actually turned up? That selection is just all sorts of wrong. Faletau is gonna have to have the game of his life if we're gonna make any headway with this selection.

At least HP has been replaced, so he's got one thing right.
Epaminondas Pules

Post by Epaminondas Pules »

Eugene Wrayburn wrote:Some very odd calls there.

I don't see what Stander had done to deserve a place on the bench. I'd you wanted to have some late heft to bring on and rampage then Henderson has been more effective but Tipuric seems the better option if you're going to play a 2nd 5.

Sexton and Farrell has been conspicuously unsuccessful. What problem is it designed to solve?

AWJ is extraordinarily lucky.

Nowell on the bench is fucking mental.

Why is Nowell mental out of interest? Can play either wing, fullback or outside centre, and has played well in the last two midweeks.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

ah well :)
p/d

Post by p/d »

Banquo wrote:ah well :)
This
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

As of seeing that team I cant wait for this tour to be over.

Dropping POM is a mistake. Keeping AWJ is just bullshit.
Playing Sexton and Farrell together just shows the utter absence of any appreciation for rugby skills, nous or form.

I'll be watching, might even raise a cheer when they run on, but unless the ABs continually leave some gaps in open play, that lions team is going to achieve the square root of fuck all.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

p/d wrote:
Banquo wrote:ah well :)
This
Thirded.
ALunpg

Post by ALunpg »

I am going back too sleep and when I wake up I will realise it was a nightmare as opposed to the one in Saturday that will happen.
That's very unlucky for Teo and O'Mahoney neither who did much wrong last week ..Kruis was probably expected but thought he he may get a bench...surprised Henderson did not get the third slot .. Very lucky for AWJ and Stander but Nowell is a bit of a suprise but can cover wing and FB and does make things happen . Halfpenny not stepping up on Wednesday or the rest of the tour and showing he is a viable choice The only winger left is Seymour who has not covered FB on tour ..although he may have at club level can't remember him covering for Scotland.
North is on the plane home with a hamstring issue with Henshaw.
Last edited by ALunpg on Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ex prop Ex coach still a Welshman and enjoying retirement
Adam_P

Post by Adam_P »

The rest of the backline will have no space to work in as the All Blacks defensive lines just shifts one at as they know there is no running threat from 12. Barnes said last week that moving Farrell out to 12 would give more distribution to the back 3, but all I remember happening is a shocking pass to Watson too far in front of him and at his boot laces.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Not sure it matters if the sub can cover full back (which Seymour has but not that often - e.g v England but we try and forget that). Both Daly and Watson provide good cover for that
ALunpg

Post by ALunpg »

Cameo wrote:Not sure it matters if the sub can cover full back (which Seymour has but not that often - e.g v England but we try and forget that). Both Daly and Watson provide good cover for that
Thanks for the info..I did forget :D
Ex prop Ex coach still a Welshman and enjoying retirement
skidger

Post by skidger »

Would love to be proven wrong but that looks pretty shite. I hope the fly half goes well at 12 and the Kiwis do not trample allover him.
oldbackrow

Post by oldbackrow »

Thank goodness I've got a big sofa to hide behind on Saturday morning!

What is Warburton bringing that POM didn't have? If you want someone at the breakdown quickly to slow Sam Cane surely Tipuric is the better person? Is AWJ fully fit now as he didn't look it last week but Henderson/Lawes did on Tuesday? Teo seemed to be an answer to SBW threat, how does that work on the bench?

Hopefully the coaching team have thought it all through and have a cunning plan which is more cunning than a cunning fox from Cunningham University! Sorry Warren but your audition for the New Zealand coaching job is now over!
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Just to play devils advocate, there are a number of analysis pieces by very good pundits out there in the internet ether showing how nicely Sexton and Farrell have combined *at times* on this tour. Also, as well as Te'o performed defensively last week he was very quiet in attack, was very comfortably contained. And of course he point blank refused to give a 15 yard pass off his left hand which would have given the Lions an easy 2-1 in the corner, because imo he didn't trust himself to make it.

It's a bit of a Hail Mary but I think potentially it'll give the AB's quite a bit more to think about.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I can't believe we're about to see Jack Nowell play in a Lions test match. It just doesn't sound right.
Adam_P

Post by Adam_P »

Timbo wrote:Also, as well as Te'o performed defensively last week he was very quiet in attack, was very comfortably contained.
That's weird, because I remember him being one of the only players who would consistently make yards on his carries over the gain line
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

This is the team that will level the series, for shewer.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Adam_P wrote:
Timbo wrote:Also, as well as Te'o performed defensively last week he was very quiet in attack, was very comfortably contained.
That's weird, because I remember him being one of the only players who would consistently make yards on his carries over the gain line
9 carries for 14 metres, 0 defenders beaten, 0 line breaks...