Moderators: Puja, Misc Forum Mod

Big D

Re: v AB'S - Second Test

Post by Big D »

SOB free to play on saturday.
skidger

Post by skidger »

Big D wrote:SOB free to play on saturday.
That is big for the Lions as the mad Irishman has been going quite well.
Digby

Post by Digby »

I continue not to understand the citings/hearings process.
skidger

Post by skidger »

Digby wrote:I continue not to understand the citings/hearings process.
I assumed he would be banned and even more so when it took so long. I trust the biscuits were in good order.
Big D

Post by Big D »

I assume they decided it would be a penalty and a binning rather than red?
morepork

Post by morepork »

Lord Llandaff wrote:
morepork wrote:
Lord Llandaff wrote:
Agree with all of this.

BB reminded me of Clerc in 2011. Recovered like Lazarus once the decision was made. On both occasions. The telling point was no HIA.

MV will likely be dropped whatever happens imo.

Not that keen to wade in here, but this is not the most sensible approach to preventing injury via officiating objectives I have ever seen.
I think you missed my point. It was the telling point that he was feigning injury like a footballer. Unlike Watson who was genuinely staggering and was assessed as a result. Imo, no decision should be made on the basis of injury sustained either way, but the French have always liked to try to influence decisions in this way and it would appear BB did the same.

OK, I see.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Big D wrote:Talking about the game, rather that bringing a centre on would the ABs have been better served by bringing on Savea as he has the skill to swap between the back row and centre depending the situation?

I don't reckon. Laumape is a fucking tank and was doing the damage, but the Lions managed to make the extra man count in the end. Just.
Puja

Post by Puja »

skidger wrote:
I assumed he would be banned and even more so when it took so long. I trust the biscuits were in good order.
I'm assuming that he was given a four week ban, but it was halved for previous good behaviour, halved for contriteness, halved for excellent biscuit discipline, halved because he's Irish, and he will thus complete the ban tomorrow.

Puja
Backist Monk
Digby

Post by Digby »

No idea how SOB gets away with it. Remembering Chris Ashton got a 10 week ban for his high wrestle on Marshall and and SOB gets nowt for this then we've myriad versions of the same game going into these hearings. (I know Ashton isn't a popular figure, but the discrepancy seems significant and then some)
ALunpg

Post by ALunpg »

Puja wrote:
skidger wrote:
I'm assuming that he was given a four week ban, but it was halved for previous good behaviour, halved for contriteness, halved for excellent biscuit discipline, halved because he's Irish, and he will thus complete the ban tomorrow.

Puja
I think he brought the good biscuits ..that is the determining factor..
Ex prop Ex coach still a Welshman and enjoying retirement
morepork

Post by morepork »

what is the biscuit thing?
16th man

Post by 16th man »

From the BBC

Director of rugby Venter received a 14-week ban on Tuesday for "making provocative and inappropriate gestures" at Leicester two weeks ago - a decision against which Sarries have now confirmed they will appeal.
As it stands the ban will prevent the South African from being at Twickenham for the final of the Guinness Premiership on 29 May, in which Saracens take on Leicester.
But BBC Sport understands the appeal is set to be heard before the season-finale next Saturday.
The RFU released an 11-page statement on Thursday, in which it observed Venter's "arrogant behaviour" during the hearing, citing his eating of biscuits and sweets as examples
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

From this we used our collective wit to explain any lenient bans as being achieved by being polite and bringing in a particularly lovely selection of biscuits for those presiding.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Threatened by biscuits. The horror.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Doesn't really translate for a panel of Aussies, though. Perhaps we should have suggested SOB brought them all a six pack, started every sentence with 'look' and addressed them all as 'mate'.

This is another example of the legendary EMB wit I mentioned earlier.
morepork

Post by morepork »

RAH!
Epaminondas Pules

Post by Epaminondas Pules »

morepork wrote:
Big D wrote:Talking about the game, rather that bringing a centre on would the ABs have been better served by bringing on Savea as he has the skill to swap between the back row and centre depending the situation?

I don't reckon. Laumape is a fucking tank and was doing the damage, but the Lions managed to make the extra man count in the end. Just.
Sexton picked Laumape off like an U10 for the George break leading to the second try.
16th man

Post by 16th man »

morepork wrote:Threatened by biscuits. The horror.
It's another piece of evidence for those looking to solve the mystery of why England have so often punched below their weight. This is the mentality of our administrators.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Epaminondas Pules wrote:
morepork wrote:

Sexton picked Laumape off like an U10 for the George break leading to the second try.

Should someone send him some congratulatory biscuits?
oldbackrow

Post by oldbackrow »

morepork wrote: Should someone send him some congratulatory biscuits?
Not quite morepork!
cashead

Post by cashead »

Digby wrote:No idea how SOB gets away with it. Remembering Chris Ashton got a 10 week ban for his high wrestle on Marshall and and SOB gets nowt for this then we've myriad versions of the same game going into these hearings. (I know Ashton isn't a popular figure, but the discrepancy seems significant and then some)
Not exactly unprecedented when it comes to players cited for foul play against the All Blacks.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
I R Geech

Post by I R Geech »

cashead wrote:
Digby wrote:No idea how SOB gets away with it. Remembering Chris Ashton got a 10 week ban for his high wrestle on Marshall and and SOB gets nowt for this then we've myriad versions of the same game going into these hearings. (I know Ashton isn't a popular figure, but the discrepancy seems significant and then some)
Not exactly unprecedented when it comes to players cited for foul play against the All Blacks.
Really? You are so ludicrous that I can only assume that you are some Welsh fella pretending to be an NZ fan to try and give them a bad name.

Care to comment on Sam Cane's elbow drop on JD2's head last week? If you didn't see it, try watching the game with your other eye.
Lord Lucan

Post by Lord Lucan »

Lord Llandaff wrote:So SBW has been banned 4 weeks. If Cashead's complaints are correct then I assume MV has been cited and will likely receive a similar ban?

No?
No, because slashead is talking cobblers as usual. Nothing in the SOB incident, just whining kiwis making a meal of it.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

jared_7 wrote:
Banquo wrote:cough what about the missed sitters cough
Terrible.

Read terrible as well, not very proactive.

Also for people who know, what are people's thoughts about Cruden? I mentioned it last week when he came on he looked a shambles and he did again today. Was always a fan and thought he would kick on but actually still seems like the player he was 6-7 years ago; great when you are spanking the opposition but flakey when the game is close.

Thought it was a big call benching Kaino, not sure I agreed with it if you are then just going to stick a back in the scrums anyway. Why not keep Kaino on and then for times you are worried about numbers in the backs, sit Cane out there??
Being as you lot were playing with a backrow of 2 then I think they did pretty well..
Stom

Post by Stom »

So glad I was wrong about the selection. But it was the 2 changes to the pack that made all the difference. Both Warburton and Itoje were excellent, and key to the win. I could even go so far as to give Warburton the MoM award. Who did it go to officially?

I also thought that, after his Mako incident, Barrett was very tentative getting back up after assisting the tackler on George. And that contributed to Murray's try. So perhaps it was job well done for Mako there.

Was again impressed with Watson, he had another very good game. This suited Davies so much more, too, being the one bosh merchant in the backline. I think perhaps having both him and Te'o together blunts us a bit too much. And defensively we were much better. The pack in particular were much more alert to danger around the fringes. But it made a huge difference against 14 men...

What about next week? McGrath did put in a couple of decent tackles, but I'm just not sold on him as a Lions prop. Marler was excellent last time he played...just saying.

George has established himself well and truly. Accurate throwing, great tackling and defense, and those 2-3 runs a match are a great weapon.

AWJ does seem off the pace, but he did use his experience well on a couple of occassions. In the backs, Nowell on the bench is a waste for me. Better to have someone with a bit of pace. Seymour maybe?