Commentary

Moderators: Puja, Misc Forum Mod

af73

Re: Commentary

Post by af73 »

Sandydragon wrote:I completely agree. Obviously very different for radio where a commentator needs to be very gifted to make sense verbally of a complex game like rugby.

There is also a time and a place for a commentator to highlight good play, particularly if its not something obvious. I'd suggest that adding some analysis to the commentary would add the biggest value; if it happens at all its usually during half time, which is all very well but surely experienced players turned commentators can look at a match and talk a bit more about the strategies on show?
Bill McLaren himself said he felt he talked too much but it was through a desire to enlighten the audience, particularly the casual observer, as much as anything. It never detracted from what you could see on the screen though, just simply enhanced it being the key.

Now it's about 'personality', packaging, presentation and getting a soundbite replayed on the highlights/promo reel for the next event.

I remember hearing a story about Henry Longhurts when he used to cover the 16th at Augusta during the Masters for U.S television. He hardly said a word as Nicklaus approached the green to thunderous applause allowing the atmosphere to build up. As he lined up the putt Longhurst added "so, Nicklaus for a 2". The putt fell, crowd went wild and two minutes later when it had all died down he summed up "Well, there you have it"

Tv companies didn't know what to make of it, audiences loved it.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

I can't think of any commentator who can hold a candle to Bill McLaren; he was the voice of rugby for me growing up.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Sandydragon wrote:I can't think of any commentator who can hold a candle to Bill McLaren; he was the voice of rugby for me growing up.
Rugby commentators yes, nonpareil. Did Cliff Morgan do anything other than the famous Baa-baas match, I can't remember.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Will Greenwood: Sporting Triumphs on SS3 at 12.45 if anyone wants 15mins of poetry.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Banquo wrote:
Sandydragon wrote:I can't think of any commentator who can hold a candle to Bill McLaren; he was the voice of rugby for me growing up.
Rugby commentators yes, nonpareil. Did Cliff Morgan do anything other than the famous Baa-baas match, I can't remember.
Yeah, he did a lot of radio commentary as well, he went away from the commentary into programme making, he was my second favourite after Bill who was peerless.

Ivan Tukaloooo
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

bruce

Post by bruce »

Some great tries amongst that lot.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Numbers wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Yeah, he did a lot of radio commentary as well, he went away from the commentary into programme making, he was my second favourite after Bill who was peerless.

Ivan Tukaloooo
He was a great, great man on the radio- he had his own show in later life iirc. Great man full stop.
ALunpg

Post by ALunpg »

Banquo wrote:
Numbers wrote:
Banquo wrote: Rugby commentators yes, nonpareil. Did Cliff Morgan do anything other than the famous Baa-baas match, I can't remember.

Ivan Tukaloooo
He was a great, great man on the radio- he had his own show in later life iirc. Great man full stop.
Great player, skillful runner with a great sidestep and had the vision on the field. Like Bill he had an eloquence that seems to be a trait of radio commentators. It was an interesting twist of fate that Bill Maclaren was ill the day of the BaaBaas and Cliff stepped in as he was in BBC Wales Sport .
I was working afternoon shift at Llanelli Steel but everyone vanished listening around radios when the match was on .
Ex prop Ex coach still a Welshman and enjoying retirement
kk67

Post by kk67 »

Beasties wrote:Flatman's out on his own as far as Uk commentary goes, he's the funniest too. Healey and Kay are generally enjoyable although both can irritate at times, esp when they're being too simplistic.
Oh yes. Flats is the man.....Ben and Austin are pretty good. Mooro, ok.

ITV4 seems to have a closed shop on quality commentators. David Millar on the Tour de France, Jim Courier and Mark Petchy at the tennis and Flats for the rugby. Someone at ITV4 is doing their job.