v All Blacks III: the Decider

Moderators: Puja, Misc Forum Mod

Lizard

v All Blacks III: the Decider

Post by Lizard »

When are the teams named?

For the All Blacks, I say keep the pack the same. Kaino will be fired up having been deprived of most of last week's smashing opportunities. In the backs, forced changes only. Crotty/ALB midfield (if Crotty is fit), Dagg to FB, Savea on the wing.
oldbackrow

Re: v All Blacks III: the Decider

Post by oldbackrow »

From what Hansen said in the Sunday debrief they have already decided on Crotty but wanted to tell the person replacing him before announcing it. But pretty much agree. It will be the Lions team that could be very interesting!
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Does Ioane and The Surveyor on the wings fit your whole 2nd fullback approach or is that ditched with Smith injured? Isn't NMS fit again? I suppose Naholo didn't fit that plan either.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Should be at least as good as the Godfather Part III
cashead

Post by cashead »

Lizard wrote:When are the teams named?

For the All Blacks, I say keep the pack the same. Kaino will be fired up having been deprived of most of last week's smashing opportunities. In the backs, forced changes only. Crotty/ALB midfield (if Crotty is fit), Dagg to FB, Savea on the wing.
Probably Thursday.

If Crotty's good to go, put him in at 12. He was sorely missed on Saturday.

Fekitoa's been recalled, but it would be an either or between him and Laumape. I'd also swap Sopoaga for Cruden.

Dagg to 14, Jordie at 15.
Last edited by cashead on Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
cashead

Post by cashead »

Mikey Brown wrote:Does Ioane and The Surveyor on the wings fit your whole 2nd fullback approach or is that ditched with Smith injured? Isn't NMS fit again? I suppose Naholo didn't fit that plan either.
Dagg can move to the wing, and Jordie Barrett at fullback. He's been playing at 15 for the Hurricanes this year anyway.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

The ABs side is announced at 6p.m. BST tomorrow, the Lions at 8.pm. BST tomorrow.
zer0

Post by zer0 »

Auckland will be some form of wet, so there'll definitely be two fullbacks in play for the AB's. Mckenzie is deemed too small, so it'll probably be a Barrett. The question, then, is which one. Jordie is the least disruptive change, but Beauden the more experienced candidate. The selection may also depend on whether or not Cruden pays the price for that brain dead 79th minute kick.
Spy

Post by Spy »

Agree keep pack the same.

If Crotty's fit he should start at 12, with ALB at 13. That'd work fine. If Crotty's not fit, it gets a bit knotty.

Back 3 is a bit of a mess - the balance of the side has been affected by the injury to Smith. Ideally we should play 2 FB, but rushing Jordie Barrett in looks a bit panicked, and it's a BIG ask for an inexperienced player. Drop Ioane, despite his strong first test? He looked lost in the second. Wouldn't want to play both Ioane and J Barrett - too inexperienced. Bring in Savea, after being left out of the first 2 tests and looking only OK for the Hurricanes? Maybe. Dagg/Barrett/Savea? Dagg/Barrett/Naholo? Double down on Dagg/Ioane/Naholo? I don't know.

I suspect Fekitoa will make the bench. Cruden has not been good - the backline has lost shape both times he's come on.
Spy

Post by Spy »

zer0 wrote:Auckland will be some form of wet, so there'll definitely be two fullbacks in play for the AB's. Mckenzie is deemed too small, so it'll probably be a Barrett. The question, then, is which one. Jordie is the least disruptive change, but Beauden the more experienced candidate. The selection may also depend on whether or not Cruden pays the price for that brain dead 79th minute kick.
Wellington was all kinds of wet and windy, and we didn't play 2 fullbacks. Conditions will be better at Eden Park.

I wouldn't be surprised to see J Barrett involved. I wonder if he might replace Cruden on the bench? He can kick goals, excellent outside back cover, and he could probably muddle as first-five cover if BB was injured.
cashead

Post by cashead »

Spy wrote:
zer0 wrote:Auckland will be some form of wet, so there'll definitely be two fullbacks in play for the AB's. Mckenzie is deemed too small, so it'll probably be a Barrett. The question, then, is which one. Jordie is the least disruptive change, but Beauden the more experienced candidate. The selection may also depend on whether or not Cruden pays the price for that brain dead 79th minute kick.
Wellington was all kinds of wet and windy, and we didn't play 2 fullbacks. Conditions will be better at Eden Park.

I wouldn't be surprised to see J Barrett involved. I wonder if he might replace Cruden on the bench? He can kick goals, excellent outside back cover, and he could probably muddle as first-five cover if BB was injured.
I'm guessing it will look like
Moody, Taylor, Franks
Retallick, Whitelock
Cane, Read, Kaino
Smith, Barrett
Crotty (if fit)/ALB, ALB/Fekitoa
Ioane or Savea, J Barrett, Dagg

Harris, Crockett, Faumuina/Tu'ungafasi, Barrett/Romano, Savea/Squire, TKB/TJP, Sopoaga, McKenzie
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Hooky

Post by Hooky »

Think I'd go:

Halfpenny, Williams, Davies, Farrell, Daly, Sexton, Murray, Marler, George, Cole, AWJ, Itoje, SOB, Warbuton, Faletau

Need to improve the scrum and I'd like Cole's contribution to the breakdown.
Hooky

Post by Hooky »

Tempted to start Henderson but both Maro and AWJ had good games
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Drop Watson and bring in Halfpenny because???
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

The Times reporting that Marler for McGrath and Tipuric for Stander are two changes being considered.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Mellsblue wrote:The Times reporting that Marler for McGrath and Tipuric for Stander are two changes being considered.
Tipuric is at least in very good form and with 2 fly halves on the pitch, I can see that logic.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Mellsblue wrote:The Times reporting that Marler for McGrath and Tipuric for Stander are two changes being considered.
Those would be two changes I could get right behind.
Hooky

Post by Hooky »

Mikey Brown wrote:Drop Watson and bring in Halfpenny because???
Watson has played pretty well although he's not getting much change from the AB defence. I would've brought north in as an alternative attacking weapon to bring into the line but that's not an option. Halfpenny actually looked pretty good in his outings so far. Alternatively perhaps Nowell is an option at 15
oldbackrow

Post by oldbackrow »

I'd stick with Liam Williams at fullback but about Halfpenny, he has played pretty well on this tour and seems to have been allowed to be more attacking (as he was in Australia) which he doesn't seem to be allowed to do with Wales. Thats when he becomes a real threat!
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Hooky wrote:
Watson has played pretty well although he's not getting much change from the AB defence. I would've brought north in as an alternative attacking weapon to bring into the line but that's not an option. Halfpenny actually looked pretty good in his outings so far. Alternatively perhaps Nowell is an option at 15
Watson has been the better of the two wingers imo, you didn't see the run in the first test when he beat four players? If you wanted to squeeze in Halfpenny it'd be at the cost of Daly, I wouldn't tho as I think Daly has been better than Halfpenny this tour and also offers the long range kicking option which may be invaluable.
Hooky

Post by Hooky »

Numbers wrote:
Hooky wrote:
Watson has been the better of the two wingers imo, you didn't see the run in the first test when he beat four players? If you wanted to squeeze in Halfpenny it'd be at the cost of Daly, I wouldn't tho as I think Daly has been better than Halfpenny this tour and also offers the long range kicking option which may be invaluable.
I think Daly offers slightly more. Think he's a fantastic footballer. Watson has been good too and I would be fine if the back three stayed the same. It's just a personal observation in that I think we might benefit from either Nowell or halfpenny offering something a bit different.
Hooky

Post by Hooky »

oldbackrow wrote:I'd stick with Liam Williams at fullback but about Halfpenny, he has played pretty well on this tour and seems to have been allowed to be more attacking (as he was in Australia) which he doesn't seem to be allowed to do with Wales. Thats when he becomes a real threat!
For the life of me I don't understand this either
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Does he become a real threat? Or does he make a linebreak or two (that any other fullback would manage most games) every four years and everybody goes nuts?
morepork

Post by morepork »

I wouldn't bring Halfpenny in. Then again, I aint in charge.
cashead

Post by cashead »

oldbackrow wrote:I'd stick with Liam Williams at fullback but about Halfpenny, he has played pretty well on this tour and seems to have been allowed to be more attacking (as he was in Australia) which he doesn't seem to be allowed to do with Wales. Thats when he becomes a real threat!
Apparently Williams may have done a mischief at training yesterday.

Also, not sure about the wisdom of keeping them down in Queenstown, rather than training up in Auckland.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?