America

Zhivago

Re: America

Post by Zhivago »

I was in Miami recently, so I feel qualified now to talk about America. My new and profound take on the place is that there is definitely something appealing about the red states. They are somehow more orientated towards the people. But I am basing this opinion solely on my experience of JFK airport vs MIA airport. The former was chaos, and the latter was efficient. 1-0 to the red states so far in terms of my personal experience.

The above is obviously nonsensical reasoning, but at the same time it is a slightly truthful representation of how my opinion has shifted.

Все буде Україна!
Смерть ворогам!!

Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Zhivago wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:51 pm I was in Miami recently, so I feel qualified now to talk about America. My new and profound take on the place is that there is definitely something appealing about the red states. They are somehow more orientated towards the people. But I am basing this opinion solely on my experience of JFK airport vs MIA airport. The former was chaos, and the latter was efficient. 1-0 to the red states so far in terms of my personal experience.

The above is obviously nonsensical reasoning, but at the same time it is a slightly truthful representation of how my opinion has shifted.
On that basis, I’d rather live in Birmingham than Manchester.

Based on my visits to the US I would suggest that the south and west are friendlier than the North East.
But I could make the same comment about London and the SE vs the rest of the UK
Zhivago

Post by Zhivago »

Sandydragon wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:12 pm
Zhivago wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:51 pm I was in Miami recently, so I feel qualified now to talk about America. My new and profound take on the place is that there is definitely something appealing about the red states. They are somehow more orientated towards the people. But I am basing this opinion solely on my experience of JFK airport vs MIA airport. The former was chaos, and the latter was efficient. 1-0 to the red states so far in terms of my personal experience.

Based on my visits to the US I would suggest that the south and west are friendlier than the North East.
As I said, I recognise that it's nonsense logic. Anyway I wasn't there long enough to form a proper opinion, I was only passing through on my way to Nicaragua.

Все буде Україна!
Смерть ворогам!!

Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Zhivago wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:09 pm
Sandydragon wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:12 pm

As I said, I recognise that it's nonsense logic. Anyway I wasn't there long enough to form a proper opinion, I was only passing through on my way to Nicaragua.
JFK is a weird airport, but then New York is a weird city. I wouldn't use either to make decisions about, well, anything else really.
morepork

Post by morepork »

What an odd statement....
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

morepork wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:02 pm What an odd statement....
Oh, so you’re against free speech now?
Puja

Post by Puja »

Some relatively good news this morning, everyone's favourite Weekend At Bernies cosplayer Joe Biden appears to have got the message that people are concerned about him being a dotard and came out swinging for his State of the Union address, turning it what sounds like a lively and fairly effective campaign event. Emphasising codifying Roe v Wade, harping on making IVF a right, responding to heckling about the border with retorts that there was a border bill that Republicans worked on and then shut down at the behest of Trump. He's finally played a lot of the right notes (to win the election, not necessarily morally) - whether anyone was still paying attention may be another matter.

Trump's response was comedy, calling him “angry, polarizing, and hate-filled," which is very much the pot getting annoyed that the kettle is finally interacting with its schtick.

Puja
Backist Monk
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Puja wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:07 pm Some relatively good news this morning, everyone's favourite Weekend At Bernies cosplayer Joe Biden appears to have got the message that people are concerned about him being a dotard and came out swinging for his State of the Union address, turning it what sounds like a lively and fairly effective campaign event. Emphasising codifying Roe v Wade, harping on making IVF a right, responding to heckling about the border with retorts that there was a border bill that Republicans worked on and then shut down at the behest of Trump. He's finally played a lot of the right notes (to win the election, not necessarily morally) - whether anyone was still paying attention may be another matter.

Trump's response was comedy, calling him “angry, polarizing, and hate-filled," which is very much the pot getting annoyed that the kettle is finally interacting with its schtick.

Puja
I listened to some of that and was genuinely surprised by the passion and cohesion. He has a lot of work to do I think but the only way is to take the fight to Trump and get Trump sounding ludicrous. 25% of the American electorate (apparently) is solidly pro-Trunp but there must be enough Republican doubters out there Biden can convince whilst shoring up Democrat support. Its definitely worth reminding the public how bad Trump was, and how mentally incompetent he is now.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Yep, despite bumbling every fifth or sixth word I was quite impressed with how much he sounded like he gave a shit and actually meant what he was saying. It’s still an absolute cripple fight, obviously, but that should be a big boost.

I didn’t see all of it, but I surprised myself by watching a good hour or so. I’ve never actually followed it before. It’s as much of a circus act as what we do over here, but there was a lot that actually sounded like it might be relatable for the common man. With the help of the Swifties all might not be lost.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Sandydragon wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:40 pm He has a lot of work to do I think but the only way is to take the fight to Trump and get Trump sounding ludicrous. 25% of the American electorate (apparently) is solidly pro-Trunp but there must be enough Republican doubters out there Biden can convince whilst shoring up Democrat support. Its definitely worth reminding the public how bad Trump was, and how mentally incompetent he is now.
I think the problem occurs that the rump of those Republican and independent doubters are favouring Trump over Biden because they think Biden's senile and incapable of handling the pressures of the presidency for the next 4 years. Trump is also clearly senile, but he's not the one with the public perception problem - it's like Labour trying to fight accusations of anti-semitism in 2019 by pointing out the raging Islamophobia, racism, and anti-semitism in Conservatives ranks; it might be completely true, and much worse over there, but that's not where the spotlight is right now. Plus Trump is angry and passionate, and that covers a lot of sins - they believe he's got vitality in him, which appeals to the American exceptionalism. Yankees don't want the symbol of their country to be an old man who might fall asleep in the corner, they'd literally prefer a raving lunatic.

As such, the only way to win them over is for Biden to demonstrate he's not senile - to be out and be seen, to speak, to debate and seem lively and with it, without gaffes. He's got to be active and visible and demonstrably vital... which might be a problem if he actually is verging on senile, which I suspect is the case. Very hard to disprove something that's true.

They might just be saving it all up for the campaign though. It's going to be a hard work for an 81 year old, so it's possible he's still got it in him and is planning a 3 month burst of energy to shock and awe the electorate before the actual vote.

Puja
Backist Monk
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Puja wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:10 pm
Sandydragon wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:40 pm He has a lot of work to do I think but the only way is to take the fight to Trump and get Trump sounding ludicrous. 25% of the American electorate (apparently) is solidly pro-Trunp but there must be enough Republican doubters out there Biden can convince whilst shoring up Democrat support. Its definitely worth reminding the public how bad Trump was, and how mentally incompetent he is now.
I think the problem occurs that the rump of those Republican and independent doubters are favouring Trump over Biden because they think Biden's senile and incapable of handling the pressures of the presidency for the next 4 years. Trump is also clearly senile, but he's not the one with the public perception problem - it's like Labour trying to fight accusations of anti-semitism in 2019 by pointing out the raging Islamophobia, racism, and anti-semitism in Conservatives ranks; it might be completely true, and much worse over there, but that's not where the spotlight is right now. Plus Trump is angry and passionate, and that covers a lot of sins - they believe he's got vitality in him, which appeals to the American exceptionalism. Yankees don't want the symbol of their country to be an old man who might fall asleep in the corner, they'd literally prefer a raving lunatic.

As such, the only way to win them over is for Biden to demonstrate he's not senile - to be out and be seen, to speak, to debate and seem lively and with it, without gaffes. He's got to be active and visible and demonstrably vital... which might be a problem if he actually is verging on senile, which I suspect is the case. Very hard to disprove something that's true.

They might just be saving it all up for the campaign though. It's going to be a hard work for an 81 year old, so it's possible he's still got it in him and is planning a 3 month burst of energy to shock and awe the electorate before the actual vote.

Puja
At the time, given the views of key Labour Jewish MPs, that would be very debatable. The Conservative issue is now gaining momentum based on recent gaffs/ idiotic comments and SUnak's inability to stamp on it proactively. Similar parallel to Corbyn actually although I suspect Sunak is personally less close to the issue.

Anyway, Biden is gong to struggle to change to narrative. 4 years of gaffs is hard to overcome even if he has a spotless 3 months. Trump I totally agree is also well past it (probably the least of his faults but still a major one). I don't think Biden can overcome that totally, there's been too many incidents over the past 4 years and he cant campaign from his cellar this time.

I dont like being this pessimistic, but I am very doubtful about this year's election. Unless wider support for Trump evaporates (he's always going to have his core 20%) then its going to be too close for comfort. Democrats also need to full rally behind Biden to a degree that we haven't seen yet.
Stom

Post by Stom »

I had the opposite. Leaving NYC was super easy. Getting in through Miami airport...hell on earth.

But, yeah, Texans in particular are super nice people. Loved it there. But there's a huge difference between enjoying Austin as a cis white male and going to Vidor as a gay black woman...

The truth is...most of these people are not horrible, disgusting people. They're just scared.

Inequity stokes that. The solution to racism is less inequity. Less inequality. And that's for everyone.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald ... rcna143746
"Now if I don't get elected, it's going to be a bloodbath for the whole — that's gonna be the least of it," he added. "It's going to be a bloodbath for the country. That will be the least of it."
Later, he added, "If this election isn't won, I'm not sure that you'll ever have another election in this country."
He again referred to the people who are in prison for crimes committed in the Jan. 6, 2021, attack as "hostages."
Trump also said that some undocumented immigrants were "not people,"
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stochastic_terrorism
morepork

Post by morepork »

He spends almost the entirety of his time whining about his entitlement and how hard life is for him because of other people, yet will not take responsibility for anything personally. What worthless fucking gumby.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Which Tyler wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:27 pm https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald ... rcna143746
"Now if I don't get elected, it's going to be a bloodbath for the whole — that's gonna be the least of it," he added. "It's going to be a bloodbath for the country. That will be the least of it."
Later, he added, "If this election isn't won, I'm not sure that you'll ever have another election in this country."
He again referred to the people who are in prison for crimes committed in the Jan. 6, 2021, attack as "hostages."
Trump also said that some undocumented immigrants were "not people,"
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stochastic_terrorism
So the narrative that if he loses its a 'stolen election' is getting well founded then? The ideal of an american democracy is under massive strain from this Orange muppet; his continued teflon status in every court is almost breathtaking to behold. Its almost like hes too toxic to be properly prosecuted.
Coco

Post by Coco »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:29 am
Coco wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:57 am
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:22 pm You have to wonder what will happen if Trump wins and (presumably) bans abortion nationally. Will that kill the Republican vote next time? Or given that it's Trump, will there be a next time?
He won't do that, it is up to each state to decide for themselves.
It's up to each state at the moment but he could change that.
Ridiculous. He cant change that and has no interest in doing it. He has said this specifically. That is reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.
It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.

Thomas Sowell
Coco

Post by Coco »

Please watch the "Bloodbath" conversation in its entirety IF you are truly interested in the context and meaning of that particular statement... he was speaking about the automobile industry. Buzzwords and clips that leave context to the imagination undercut the truth - on both sides of the aisle... and both sides do it. Its another way to keep sowing division and its terrible.
It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.

Thomas Sowell
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Still team Donny then I take it?
cashead

Post by cashead »

Coco wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:28 pm
Ridiculous. He cant change that and has no interest in doing it. He has said this specifically. That is reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.
O RLY? Here’s some other stuff Donny has uttered.
I’m very pro-choice. I hate the concept of abortion. I hate it. I hate everything it stands for. I cringe when I listen to people debating the subject. But you still — I just believe in choice.
— NBC “Meet the Press” interview, Oct. 24, 1999
After the show, I consulted two doctors I respect and, upon learning more about this procedure, I have concluded that I would indeed support a ban.
— Donald Trump's book "The America We Deserve," published 2000
I am pro-life, but I changed my view a number of years ago.
— CBN News, Apr. 2011
“The answer is that there has to be some form of punishment,” Trump said.

“For the woman?” Matthews asked, after some additional back-and-forth.

“Yeah, there has to be some form,” Trump said.
— MSNBC town hall interview with Chris Matthews, Mar. 30, 2016
I strongly support the House of Representatives’ ‘Pain-Capable’ bill, which would end painful, late-term abortions nationwide, and I call upon the Senate to pass this important law and send it to my desk for signing.
— Trump address to March for Life, Jan. 19, 2018
Today’s decision, which is the biggest WIN for LIFE in a generation, along with other decisions that have been announced recently, were only made possible because I delivered everything as promised, including nominating and getting three highly respected and strong Constitutionalists confirmed to the United States Supreme Court.
— Trump statement after the overturning of Roe v. Wade, June 24, 2022
Seems to be 15 weeks, seems to be a number that people are agreeing at.
— 77 WABC "Sid & Friends in the Morning" interview, Mar. 19, 2024

But yes, please go off about how he doesn't support a ban all of a sudden now that it’s no longer politically expedient to say so.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
J Dory

Post by J Dory »

Trump doesn't give a fuck about abortion or anything else that doesn't directly inflate his sense of self importance. He will say or do anything he feels in is his interest at a particular moment. Anyone that thinks he is following any kind of moral compass is delusional.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Coco wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:28 pm
It's not ridiculous because he could do it (if he had the numbers in congress). It is currently for each state to decide but that could be changed (unless you're aware of some kind of constitutional protection for abortion?). I'm not sure what you mean when you say it's reserved to the people.
morepork

Post by morepork »

If it is" reserved to the people", why are some States placing restrictions on the choice of the individual? This is an illogical assumption. The fact that free choice is not codified into federal law leaves the individual at the whim of the State. Look to Jim Crow laws for an example of shit State level meddling in fundamental civil rights. The Donald is a muppet but he is also a puppet for people that are looking to exert restrictive overreach at the state level with the aim of imposing this at the Federal level. A little antithetical to the mantra of Small Government, no?
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

J Dory wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:46 am Trump doesn't give a fuck about abortion or anything else that doesn't directly inflate his sense of self importance. He will say or do anything he feels in is his interest at a particular moment. Anyone that thinks he is following any kind of moral compass is delusional.
He’ll say or do anything to keep his base onside and minimise his chances of prison.
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Ye won't get any replies other than, ya but de dems are just as bad it's the same on both sides blah blah blah Ted Kennedy
cashead

Post by cashead »

J Dory wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:46 am Trump doesn't give a fuck about abortion or anything else that doesn't directly inflate his sense of self importance. He will say or do anything he feels in is his interest at a particular moment. Anyone that thinks he is following any kind of moral compass is delusional.
Thing is, it's been something he's been consistent about for around 24 years, including and up to around a couple of weeks ago and all of a sudden, he's changed his tune?

If anyone actually believes him when he's suddenly saying "oh but I'm not," then I've got some real estate to sell them.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar