Major League signings for MLR?

Moderator: Puja

Mellsblue

Re: Major League signings for MLR?

Post by Mellsblue »

Which Tyler wrote:
Mellsblue wrote: Doesn't answer my question of has he played more than any other young prop or does he just have an inherent weakness exposed by playing. I’m not dismissing the idea that players of that age put too much stress through still maturing bodies, but he must be an extreme case given the amount of props who are first team regulars at a young age but are still playing after Corbs had retired.
Like who?
Give me names and I'll happily run the stats over the next couple off days.
There really aren't many who played more rugby at a young age than those in that post
I don’t know. I suppose those in and around the England squad at the moment. Marler, Mako, Sinckler, Mullan, Cole etc.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Makes you feel a bit better about Paul Hill getting d*cked about by Northampton, doesn't it?

Puja
Backist Monk
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

He’ll be glad if it means he can pick up a lucrative final contract playing for LA Golden Balls in the full established and cash rich MLR in 10 years.
BBD
Site Admin

Post by BBD »

If history is any judge, in about 60 years, the great grandson of Marler will will come back from the US of A leading a team that will put the 6N to the sword and then get stuffed by the All Blacks

alternatively they will hold an American only tournament every year and call the winners the World Series champions
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

At a quarter of a mil a year plus incentives, plus endorsements can I put forward young Marcus Smith as being sufficiently wealthy enough to play out his days at LA Golden Balls. I suspect this will involve him leading them to World Series glory and holding aloft the Donald Trump Cup, personally handed to him by Dear Leader, Who is a Perfect Incarnation of the Appearance that a Leader Should Have, Beloved and Respected General, Rocket (the most Biggestest Rocket in the World) Man, Ever-Victorious, Iron-Willed Commander, President Donald Trump.
Puja

Post by Puja »

On a semi-serious note, I wouldn't be surprised to see a few players going there looking for residency, especially from South America. The change to 5 years will limit it somewhat, but there's already players like Sebastien Kalm who has thrown over Chile after playing in Pro Rugby.

Puja
Backist Monk
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Mellsblue wrote:I don’t know. I suppose those in and around the England squad at the moment. Marler, Mako, Sinckler, Mullan, Cole etc.
Marler: Aged 22: 1386 minutes; Aged 21: 1777 minutes; Aged 20: 1169 minutes; Aged 19: 68 minutes
Mako V: Aged 22: 1148 minutes; Aged 21: 875 minutes; Aged 20: 87 minnutes
Kyle S: Aged 22: 792 minutes; Aged 21: 1401 minutes; Aged 20: 574 minutes; Aged 19: 99 minutes; Aged 18: 7 minutes
Mullan: Aged 22: 1884 minutes; Aged 21: 449 minutes; Aged 20: 40 minutes; Aged 19: 80 minutes
D Cole: Aged 22: 1053 minutes; Aged 21: 833 minutes; Aged 20: 44 minutes

Mentioned in linked thread:
Luke CD: Aged 22: 930 minutes; Aged 21: 894 minutes; Aged 20: 596 minutes; Aged 19: 151 minutes; Aged 18: 78 minutes
Brookes: Aged 22: 87 minutes; Aged 21: 221 minutes; Aged 20: 1105 minutes: Aged 19: 224 minutes
Paul Hill: Aged 22: 504 minutes*; Aged 21: 1244 minutes; Aged 20: 591 minutes ... *and counting, I cut off at 01/01/18, he's got until 02/03/18 to finish this age
Corbisiero: Aged 22: 975 minutes; Aged 21: 539 minutes; Aged 20: 951 minutes
Woodman*: Aged 22: 1280 minutes; Aged 21: 80 minutes; Aged 20: 90 muinutes ... *NB: Statbunker is very dodgy on anything before 2000
H Thomas: Aged 22:1055; Aged 21: 523; Aged 20: 1721

This year's hot young front rows:
Obano: Aged 22: 724 minutes: Aged 21: 130 minutes; Aged 20: 39 minutes
T Dunn: Aged 22: 86 minutes: Aged 21: 278 minutes; Aged 20: 115 minutes
Genge: Aged 22: 1258 minutes*; Aged 21: 1236 minutes ... *and counting, I cut off at 01/01/18, he's got until 16/02/18 to finish this age

I must admit, given Cole's prolonged role as Castro's understudy, I expected him to have played less.

Oh, and the original point (that you questioned) was whether Corbisiero played too much too young - not whether he was unique in doing so; that was your follow-up question. My post from 6-7 years ago had already answered the unique question (he's not unique; I also acknowledged (with examples) that plenty of props also get away with playing too much too young).
Puja

Post by Puja »

Have shifted the prop discussion over to Which's EMB thread.
Backist Monk
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

BULLY!!
BBD
Site Admin

Post by BBD »

He's not!, he's just exceptionally tidy

ps make sure you are using a coaster ;)
Puja

Post by Puja »

Thought of a good potential one today - Peter Stringer. He's a free agent having left Worcester in December and he seems determined to play until he drops. You'd've thought he'd still be more than enough quality to keep up and there'd be a fair bit he could teach the Yanks about the game.

Puja
Backist Monk
Puja

Post by Puja »

Which Tyler wrote:
Puja wrote:
Which Tyler wrote:So you're after names of player who's normally go to Japan, but would prefer to be paid 1/4 of the salary to avoid the culture shock (language wouldn't be an issue with so many kiwis, Aussies, Shaffer and islanders there).

So basically, were after Americans themselves... So Chris Wyles
Wyles is a good shout, although I'm not sure if Saracens are really done with him yet. They do tend to like keeping on their golden oldies for a while.

They're not really going to be getting anyone who'd get a contract in Japan - more likely people who fancy one last hurrah instead of retirement or lower-league ignominy.
Meh, still sounds like the same player pool that head to Japan for one last hurrah instead of retirement or lower league ignominy - except that Japan IS lower league ignominy, and MLR is even-lower league ignominy - for now at least.
Wyles is announced as retiring at the end of the season to concentrate on his business interests, so that likely rules him out.

Puja
Backist Monk
Puja

Post by Puja »

Foden unofficially confirmed as going to New York by the auction brochure for his testimonial:

Puja
Backist Monk
rowan

Post by rowan »

:o
Last edited by rowan on Wed May 16, 2018 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If they're good enough to play at World Cups, why not in between?
Mellsblue

Re: Transfer rumors, whispers, suggestions, and outright lies - Season 2017/2018

Post by Mellsblue »

Mellsblue wrote:
Which Tyler wrote:So you're after names of player who's normally go to Japan, but would prefer to be paid 1/4 of the salary to avoid the culture shock (language wouldn't be an issue with so many kiwis, Aussies, Shaffer and islanders there).

There are plenty examples of footballers going to the MLS rather than more lucrative contracts elsewhere. Admittedly, these are multimillionaires who can move for lifestyle rather than pension pot. However, if the league becomes established, I can see plenty of ex-England players going after they retire from test rugby. They'll already have seven figures in the bank and four months in New York , San Francisco, LA etc etc might appeal above grinding yourself in to the dust in France or the issues of moving to Japan.

I could see the more celebrity inclined/metropolitan players - Robshaw, Haskell, Foden for example - doing it.
Dare I bump this? Oh, I think I just did.
Puja

Post by Puja »

New season coming up and a few rumours floating around. Both Guy Mercer and Akapusi Qera are out of contract and would definitely have a few things to teach a Yank or two.

Puja
Backist Monk
Puja

Re: Transfer rumors, whispers, suggestions, and outright lies - Season 2017/2018

Post by Puja »

Mellsblue wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:

There are plenty examples of footballers going to the MLS rather than more lucrative contracts elsewhere. Admittedly, these are multimillionaires who can move for lifestyle rather than pension pot. However, if the league becomes established, I can see plenty of ex-England players going after they retire from test rugby. They'll already have seven figures in the bank and four months in New York , San Francisco, LA etc etc might appeal above grinding yourself in to the dust in France or the issues of moving to Japan.

I could see the more celebrity inclined/metropolitan players - Robshaw, Haskell, Foden for example - doing it.
You can, especially since Freddie Michalak is now heavily rumoured as going to New York for a last hurrah as player-coach. Apparently he's going to spend one season there before heading back to France to be general manager for a new pro club in Monaco.

Also three Uruguayan internationals apparently signing up: Andrés Vilaseca (44 caps, Wing), Santiago Arata (28, SH), and Ignacio Dotti (Lock, 35). No news on which teams, but I'd imagine the two Texas franchises or San Diego would be favourite.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Puja wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
Mellsblue wrote: There are plenty examples of footballers going to the MLS rather than more lucrative contracts elsewhere. Admittedly, these are multimillionaires who can move for lifestyle rather than pension pot. However, if the league becomes established, I can see plenty of ex-England players going after they retire from test rugby. They'll already have seven figures in the bank and four months in New York , San Francisco, LA etc etc might appeal above grinding yourself in to the dust in France or the issues of moving to Japan.

You can, especially since Freddie Michalak is now heavily rumoured as going to New York for a last hurrah as player-coach. Apparently he's going to spend one season there before heading back to France to be general manager for a new pro club in Monaco.

Also three Uruguayan internationals apparently signing up: Andrés Vilaseca (44 caps, Wing), Santiago Arata (28, SH), and Ignacio Dotti (Lock, 35). No news on which teams, but I'd imagine the two Texas franchises or San Diego would be favourite.

Puja
What!! If this is true the long suffering Mrs Mellsblue will have no say in whether I go over next year. Freddie will tear the oppo to pieces before making a school boy error to throw the game. Love watching him play. You never know what is going to happen and you get the feeling he doesn't either.
If MLR strengths South American rugby, it'll have singlehandedly done more to improve the strength in depth of world rugby than, umm, World Rugby.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mellsblue wrote:
Puja wrote:
Mellsblue wrote: Dare I bump this? Oh, I think I just did.

Puja
What!! If this is true the long suffering Mrs Mellsblue will have no say in whether I go over next year. Freddie will tear the oppo to pieces before making a school boy error to throw the game. Love watching him play. You never know what is going to happen and you get the feeling he doesn't either.
If MLR strengths South American rugby, it'll have singlehandedly done more to improve the strength in depth of world rugby than, umm, World Rugby.
And with that, a Pichot-brokered deal is going to see 15 Uruguayans going to MLR for next season, allowing the Uruguayans to use their WR money to sign another 15 to full-time contracts at home, meaning that they'll likely have a fully pro squad for the RWC. Look out Wales! There's also talk that Brazil and Chile are looking to get some of their top players over, although nothing confirmed.

They're only there for one season as the year after there'll be a South American professional competition, with 2 teams from Uruguay, 2 from Argentina and 1 each from Brazil and Chile. Can't be said that Gus isn't looking after his back yard!

Looks like there's a lot more confidence in the league from players now that it's survived into its second season, which is good and should see a few more signings.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Brilliant stuff.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Seems a similar deal has been done with the LNR:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Great news for the league, especially with expansion happening and further planned. There aren't enough quality domestic players to fill the proposed 12 teams for 2020 (especially as the Uruguayans will go home then) and these will help push the quality up and keep the league exciting and competitive. It'll also help with costs, as I'd imagine the Frenh players' salaries will still be paid by the French clubs, so it's extra professionals on staff without stressing the playing budget.

Wonder if Premiership Rugby are frantically scrambling to follow suit?

Puja
Backist Monk
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

I think it would certainly be a better idea than the ‘A’ league. They could keep the players in camp for the start of the season and then send them abroad for 5/6 months to play in a fully pro environment in front of decent sized crowds. It would also get the players out of their academy comfort zone.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mellsblue wrote:I think it would certainly be a better idea than the ‘A’ league. They could keep the players in camp for the start of the season and then send them abroad for 5/6 months to play in a fully pro environment in front of decent sized crowds. It would also get the players out of their academy comfort zone.
Only problem is that it's a lot harder to recall players from Texas than it is from Coventry if you have an injury crisis.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Puja wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:I think it would certainly be a better idea than the ‘A’ league. They could keep the players in camp for the start of the season and then send them abroad for 5/6 months to play in a fully pro environment in front of decent sized crowds. It would also get the players out of their academy comfort zone.
Only problem is that it's a lot harder to recall players from Texas than it is from Coventry if you have an injury crisis.

Puja
True but LNR seem to think it’s ok and their u23 league is far more onerous than our a league. It’s a risk but it definitely has up sides.