Julian Savea
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 6

rowan

Greatest Wing (poll)

Post by rowan »

Following on from the Greatest Player poll, here's one confined to wingers of the pro era, to mark the end of Springbok legend Bryan Habana's distinguished career.
If they're good enough to play at World Cups, why not in between?
Which Tyler

Re: Greatest Wing (poll)

Post by Which Tyler »

Caucau - such a wasted talent, but even fat and disinterested he was the best of his generation, basic when he had motivation beyond his next joint and burger, he was the bets ever IMO.
rowan

Post by rowan »

Which Tyler wrote:Caucau - such a wasted talent, but even fat and disinterested he was the best of his generation, basic when he had motivation beyond his next joint and burger, he was the bets ever IMO.
If I could have squeezed a few more into the poll, he would have been among them, but the above are there first and foremost for their achievements at test level. Obviously that's going to disadvantage players in less dominant national teams, but that's just one of those unavoidable variables involved with selecting your candidates. Joeli Vidiri was a helluva winger in Super Rugby, come to think of it, but not quite so imposing at international level. Plenty more fit that description as well, including the current crop of Kiwi Super Rugby wingers.
Digby

Post by Digby »

No Sivivatu, no Roff, weird.
rowan

Post by rowan »

Digby wrote:No Sivivatu, no Roff, weird.
As above. No room. Who among the 9 candidates selected would you ditch for those guys? I'm not saying I'd disagree. But you can only have 10 choices and I left one open - other - which can be accompanied by an explanation of which player not on the list you would choose and why.
Digby

Post by Digby »

rowan wrote:
Digby wrote:No Sivivatu, no Roff, weird.
As above. No room. Who among the 9 candidates selected would you ditch for those guys? I'm not saying I'd disagree. But you can only have 10 choices and I left one open - other - which can be accompanied by an explanation of which player not on the list you would choose and why.
All 9
rowan

Post by rowan »

Ok, so vote the other option and explain your choice and reasons. That would be much appreciated. The list is subjective and I don't want to waste any more time answering questions about why those 9 were selected. Their records at international level speak for themselves.
rowan

Post by rowan »

Lomu charges into the lead, unsurprisingly . . . 8-)

Habana would have been my second choice, personally, but after due thought and reflection I couldn't go past the big fellah, even if his most memorable feats were at the last World Cup of the amateur era.
Dozey

Post by Dozey »

Eric Liddell?