40th Birthday Holiday Destination

Mellsblue

40th Birthday Holiday Destination

Post by Mellsblue »

Myself and school friends will all suffer the big four zero over the next 12 months and are hoping to celebrate decades of merciless ridicule by flying off to a warm beach in early July 2020.

The plan would be to fly out Thursday and back in Monday morning so can’t be too far. We’d like somewhere we’d be able to relive our early 20’s without having to bump into too many actual early 20’s lads holidays. Nowhere too tacky but not too expensive, something middle of the road. Somewhere outside of the eurozone might be good as it may be €.50 to the £ by then.

Any suggestions and/or recommendations would be gratefully received. One of our number has suggested Tel Aviv. If anyone has been, feedback would be appreciated. Cheers.
Puja

Re: 40th Birthday Holiday Destination

Post by Puja »

Turkey is a good place to go - some of the beaches near Dalaman and Kas are lovely. I can also speak highly of Bulgaria - there's a place called Slanchev Bryag (literally Sunny Beach) which might fail on the "not too tacky" criteria as it is a town designed to extract money from German, Russian, and British holidaymakers, but has nice beaches and nice restaurants and some actual Bulgarian culture on the outskirts. Plus, inside the EU for easy travel (for now), but outside the Eurozone with the only currency shitter than ours.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Cheers. Sunny Beach has been discussed and is the fallback option should we not find/agree anywhere else!
Puja

Post by Puja »

More tattoo parlours than any place should have, but I enjoyed myself greatly as a mid-thirties guy looking for a beach holiday with a bit of Bulgarian culture on the side. They've also got this luminous green liqueur called Peshta Mentera, which is both nice and dangerous.

Puja
Backist Monk
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mykonos- not expensive, despite some pockets of affluence and being in Eurozone. Something for everyone.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

I do love Greece. I just worry that by the time we get there it’ll be £10 a pint in the greek equivalent of Wetherspoons.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Belfast, lovely warms beaches, and dedicated to being outside the Eurozone, just ask Arlene. Actually bar the warmth it's not a terrible idea
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mellsblue wrote:I do love Greece. I just worry that by the time we get there it’ll be £10 a pint in the greek equivalent of Wetherspoons.
madness, with Boz at the helm, the £ will be going gangbusters and it'll be virtually free beers and food all over Europe and indeed the planet; the currency will be guineas btw.
SerjeantWildgoose

Post by SerjeantWildgoose »

Digby wrote:Belfast, lovely warms beaches, and dedicated to being outside the Eurozone, just ask Arlene. Actually bar the warmth it's not a terrible idea
Plus July tends to be a quiet month over here - 'cept for the bonfires and contentious marches. Seriously do NOT come to Belfast in July. The place empties of anyone sane and the only wans that stay are the pissed up Billies (Still, if ye like yer weemin angry, drunk, tattooed and protestant ...).

Somewhere a little different? Have a look at Northern Cyprus.
Idle Feck
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Cheers, gents. Well, not you Diggers.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Mellsblue wrote:Cheers, gents. Well, not you Diggers.
It's not my fault someone reminded you about the marches. Though is anyone hasn't been it actually is a very nice place, better of course if there's some rugby on to watch with an Ulster match at home
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Albania. Seriously.