Last film watched

Sandydragon

Re: Last film watched

Post by Sandydragon »

paddy no 11 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:52 am The mission - brilliant film, though not bobby de niros finest effort

Interesting career from director joffe, works on coronation street, than makes 2 outstanding though thematically similar films in the mission and the killing fields. Then wins the golden raspberry for the scarlet letter
Totally agree, excellent film.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

paddy no 11 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:03 am Anatomy of a fall is very good - drama and the French justice system. Like spiral without the drugs
I finally got to see Anatomy of a Fall. Ah, European cinema, the antithesis of Hollywood. I really enjoyed it and would love (only kidding) to see Americans try to remake it. Can you imagine that ending in a Hollywood film? :D
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:50 am
paddy no 11 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:03 am Anatomy of a fall is very good - drama and the French justice system. Like spiral without the drugs
I finally got to see Anatomy of a Fall. Ah, European cinema, the antithesis of Hollywood. I really enjoyed it and would love (only kidding) to see Americans try to remake it. Can you imagine that ending in a Hollywood film? :D
Oh god. I mean it will probably happen, but it shouldn't. I wouldn't be surprised if it's already in the works.

I only recently found out about the American remake of 'Force Majeure', and apparently 'Another Round' is getting the treatment too. Both fantastic films that have no need for a watered down translation.

Watch 'Sibyl' if you can find it (there's a 7 day Mubi trial via Amazon) if you want to see Justine Triet's previous film. Similar underlying themes to Anatomy of a Fall but much more fun and bizarre, albeit very slow to get properly going. Sandra Huller is fantastic again but in a much more chaotic way.
Son of Mathonwy

Mikey Brown wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:02 am
Oh god. I mean it will probably happen, but it shouldn't. I wouldn't be surprised if it's already in the works.

I only recently found out about the American remake of 'Force Majeure', and apparently 'Another Round' is getting the treatment too. Both fantastic films that have no need for a watered down translation.

Watch 'Sibyl' if you can find it (there's a 7 day Mubi trial via Amazon) if you want to see Justine Triet's previous film. Similar underlying themes to Anatomy of a Fall but much more fun and bizarre, albeit very slow to get properly going. Sandra Huller is fantastic again but in a much more chaotic way.
No one should try to remake Another Round. What's to be improved? Maybe Force Majeure - for me that had a great concept and was excellent in places but also random and unfocused. There was a better film in there somewhere (although I doubt Hollywood will make it).

I haven't seen Sibyl yet . . .
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:23 am

No one should try to remake Another Round. What's to be improved? Maybe Force Majeure - for me that had a great concept and was excellent in places but also random and unfocused. There was a better film in there somewhere (although I doubt Hollywood will make it).

That's a good shout actually, but yeah you probably don't want to see Will Ferrell's attempt to better it.

'My life as a courgette' was unexpectedly fantastic. Arguably a kids film, though I'm not sure what age would be suitable as it touches on some pretty heavy things, but not exclusively by any means and really perfectly executed.
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Zone of interest - savage film

Well done to glazer. Don't watch if you're not feeling great about humanity
Son of Mathonwy

Mikey Brown wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:57 pm
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:23 am

That's a good shout actually, but yeah you probably don't want to see Will Ferrell's attempt to better it.

'My life as a courgette' was unexpectedly fantastic. Arguably a kids film, though I'm not sure what age would be suitable as it touches on some pretty heavy things, but not exclusively by any means and really perfectly executed.
I watched Downhill, the Will Ferrell remake of Force Majeure. It's not terrible but it is pointless. If it had been original it would have been an okay, offbeat, almost-comedy . . . and that's only because the casting tells you it must be a comedy.
Son of Mathonwy

Mikey Brown wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:34 pm
paddy no 11 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:18 pm Absolutely loved poor things

The sets alone were worth the trip to the cinema
Yep, just by fluke happened to see it on an idiotically large screen and it was really something. Loads of shit films get rave reviews for the “visual spectacle” which is just a load of big, loud CGI bullshit, but this was truly unique looking and tied so heavily in to the story.

The music throughout was just insane. In a good way.
I'm a bit conflicted about Poor Things. It's brilliant, I really enjoyed it. Visually, it's incredible - the sets, the surreal versions of real places, so bizarre. Great acting and a very unusual story.

However, there are problems, one big (possibly fatal) one in particular . . .
► Show Spoiler
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:51 am
paddy no 11 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:18 pm Absolutely loved poor things

The sets alone were worth the trip to the cinema
Yep, just by fluke happened to see it on an idiotically large screen and it was really something. Loads of shit films get rave reviews for the “visual spectacle” which is just a load of big, loud CGI bullshit, but this was truly unique looking and tied so heavily in to the story.

I'm a bit conflicted about Poor Things. It's brilliant, I really enjoyed it. Visually, it's incredible - the sets, the surreal versions of real places, so bizarre. Great acting and a very unusual story.

► Show Spoiler
Interesting. I fully agree on the visual/cinematic side, though I think I disagree for the most part about the overall message.
► Show Spoiler
I’m not suggesting all of that is particularly clear cut and I get why there is so much discussion around the film, but I really thought it was fantastic. Overly long and ridiculous maybe, but truly unique and packed with amazing performances.

Mark Ruffallo was incredible. Managing to make such a horrible, sinister character that funny might be part of why this film’s message is so hard to parse. Same with the general.
Son of Mathonwy

Mikey Brown wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:33 pm
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:51 am

► Show Spoiler
Interesting. I fully agree on the visual/cinematic side, though I think I disagree for the most part about the overall message.
► Show Spoiler
I’m not suggesting all of that is particularly clear cut and I get why there is so much discussion around the film, but I really thought it was fantastic. Overly long and ridiculous maybe, but truly unique and packed with amazing performances.

Mark Ruffallo was incredible. Managing to make such a horrible, sinister character that funny might be part of why this film’s message is so hard to parse. Same with the general.
Yeah fair enough. For me it's ultimately a brilliant triumph of style over substance. Very enjoyable though.
► Show Spoiler