Last film watched

WaspInWales

Last film watched

Post by WaspInWales »

May as well get the ball rolling....

Deadpool.

Big on laughs and obscenities, decent action sequences, spandex and a sob story that ends well. What more do you want?

Fun movie but felt lacking but no sure why. Enjoyed it though.
cashead

Re: Last film watched

Post by cashead »

Gaspar Noe's Love.

Horrendously lifeless and unengaging. It's hard to feel any sort of connection to a main character that is so determinedly childish and selfish. I guess at this stage, Gaspar Noe's continuous need to provoke doesn't warrant much more than a rolling of the eyes.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice.

I'm not a fan of comics so I don't get upset or bothered if the script isn't faithful to the nerdy jazz mags. I sometimes have to Google many references to relationships and character backgrounds in superhero films in order to find out what is happening. That said, this film was all over the place. I enjoyed the fight scenes, lots of loud noises and big flashes and people and heroes getting the shit smashed out of them. All great fun and a scantily clad Wonder Woman was a treat.

I couldn't warm to Eisenberg's Luthor at all and found Amy Adam's Lois Lane extremely annoying. Yes I know she is supposed to be a strong, independent woman but at the same time, the most damselly woman in the world, I just found her to be a bloody plot liability. But hey, she helps the boys kiss and make up and she provides her love interest with the tool needed to win the battle...even if she manages to nearly die again in the process.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

WaspInWales wrote:Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice.

I'm not a fan of comics so I don't get upset or bothered if the script isn't faithful to the nerdy jazz mags. I sometimes have to Google many references to relationships and character backgrounds in superhero films in order to find out what is happening. That said, this film was all over the place. I enjoyed the fight scenes, lots of loud noises and big flashes and people and heroes getting the shit smashed out of them. All great fun and a scantily clad Wonder Woman was a treat.

I couldn't warm to Eisenberg's Luthor at all and found Amy Adam's Lois Lane extremely annoying. Yes I know she is supposed to be a strong, independent woman but at the same time, the most damselly woman in the world, I just found her to be a bloody plot liability. But hey, she helps the boys kiss and make up and she provides her love interest with the tool needed to win the battle...even if she manages to nearly die again in the process.
Did the premise of super-hero v super-hero make any more sense by the end of the film? I just dont get it al all.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Mikey Brown wrote:

Did the premise of super-hero v super-hero make any more sense by the end of the film? I just dont get it al all.
It made sense in the sense that it's a probably a massive money spinner to many people who like to dress up in capes, wear utility belts and wave around light sabres and other plastic weapons of destruction whilst going "whoosh, bam, splat, kapow!"
welshsaint

Post by welshsaint »

Eddie the Eagle....about 5 percent true, the rest complete fiction. Typical British feel good film but no more than 3 stars from 5. Don't pay to see it, wait for Sky or TV to screen it.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

welshsaint wrote:Eddie the Eagle....about 5 percent true, the rest complete fiction. Typical British feel good film but no more than 3 stars from 5. Don't pay to see it, wait for Sky or TV to screen it.
I've seen the trailer. Looks a solo, white version of Cool Runnings.
cashead

Post by cashead »

Got around to seeing World War Z. A more accurate title would've been World War ZZZzzzzzzzzzz. Boring shit.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
UKHamlet
Site Admin

Post by UKHamlet »

I've tried to watch WWZ several times. I've given up now.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

I saw Hunt for the Wilderpeople the other day. I thought it was brilliant, but it will not do well in the foreign market. The basic story would hold up but there's too much NZ-specific sub-text and in-jokes for it to have full impact in other countries.
joshfishkins

Post by joshfishkins »

Mikey Brown wrote:

It did make sense - just about - but the resolution of it is laughable.

Terrible movie - save your money and time and don't even watch it on Christmas Day in a few years time. My ticket was free and I thought it was garbage.
Buy my books. Feed my kids! Please.

http://tinyurl.com/z8deef3
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Room. Really pretty gripping. Follows the typical thriller motions in some senses but that's not what it's about at its core, takes some interesting turns and really fantastically acted.
Billyfish

Post by Billyfish »

cashead wrote:Got around to seeing World War Z. A more accurate title would've been World War ZZZzzzzzzzzzz. Boring shit.
I do know I've seen it. It's just that's all I know about it.
Gerald Davies, what was he doing there?!
Billyfish

Post by Billyfish »

Ex-Machina, I thought it was rather wonderful. Superb cast, well paced, creepy, gripping, thought provoking, believable. Just excellent.
Gerald Davies, what was he doing there?!
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Billyfish wrote:Ex-Machina, I thought it was rather wonderful. Superb cast, well paced, creepy, gripping, thought provoking, believable. Just excellent.
I thought it was very predictable and slow.

Watched The Hateful 8 last night, not bad, typically gory for Tarantino, some good acting.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

I watched The Martian last night. Not as good as the book of course but still pretty watchable.

Post by Banquo »

Lizard wrote:I watched The Martian last night. Not as good as the book of course but still pretty watchable.
indeed, I enjoyed it, but nothing like the 'spirit' of the book for me.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

I think a mini-series could have captured it better to allow time to get all the science across.

Post by Banquo »

Lizard wrote:I think a mini-series could have captured it better to allow time to get all the science across.
Yes....it kind of missed how smart it all was, and was less subtle with the humour. But did a good job given the 'compression'....and the cast and casting was great, though they could have made more of Kristen Wiig.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

The only movie I've seen that was better than the novel it was based on was Forrest Gump

Post by Banquo »

Lizard wrote:The only movie I've seen that was better than the novel it was based on was Forrest Gump
Not 'The Greatest Story Ever Told' then?
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

Banquo wrote:
Lizard wrote:The only movie I've seen that was better than the novel it was based on was Forrest Gump
I've read the novel but not seen the film.

Post by Banquo »

Lizard wrote:
Banquo wrote:
:) well spotted.

The Godfather....is better than the book imo. Silence of the Lambs?
joshfishkins

Post by joshfishkins »

Banquo wrote:
Lizard wrote:
Banquo wrote: Not 'The Greatest Story Ever Told' then?

Yes and no (imo).

The Godfather novel is rather dull, but Silence of The Lambs is superb. I'm probably alone in hating Anthony Hopkins version of Lecter. In the book he is supposed to be charming and charismatic. Hopkins plays him as a bug eyed loon from the start. The original Manhunter film does a much better Lecter (Brian Cox).
Buy my books. Feed my kids! Please.

http://tinyurl.com/z8deef3
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

joshfishkins wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Lizard wrote: I've read the novel but not seen the film.

Yes and no (imo).

The Godfather novel is rather dull, but Silence of The Lambs is superb. I'm probably alone in hating Anthony Hopkins version of Lecter. In the book he is supposed to be charming and charismatic. Hopkins plays him as a bug eyed loon from the start. The original Manhunter film does a much better Lecter (Brian Cox).
True on Lecter portrayal, but I still found the film compelling; call it a draw then. Manhunter for me felt a little amateurish and over stylised tbh.