Last film watched

fivepointer

Re: Last film watched

Post by fivepointer »

The French Connection. Okay its a classic but it still stands up and has some brilliant scenes, great dialogue and a commanding central performance from Hackman.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mikey Brown wrote:Wow. If you thought the previous fifteen Batman movies were dumb…
Yeah, I've been hearing this a lot. Plot holes that you could drive a bus through and so dark and gritty that it collapses under its own weight.
capture2.jpg
Can't imagine I'll go spend money on it.

Puja
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Backist Monk
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

It’s not even so much the dark and gritty angle that does it. It goes pretty hard at that style for the first hour or so, and I was actually quite in to it, then succumbs to all the same bullshit that makes pretty much every superhero/comic-book film complete garbage.

It has to have its quota of sappy moments, heavy-handed yet shallow political commentary, romantic scenes, and the inevitable last act simply being a trailer for the next one. I don’t know how people put themselves through all the marvel shit.

Overall same as the Nolan ones really, does some super rad stylised stuff and but gets caught between being cool, gritty and just doing the same dumb camp shit from the 90s, whilst pretending to be incredibly smart.

The best parts of the film in terms of style and entertainment tend to be the parts that really don’t make any sense within the story. I have nobody but myself to blame for going to see it though and did I actually enjoy quite a few parts.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

The French Dispatch - This is good viewing, Benicio Del Toro is great in it despite having virtually no dialogue.
kk67

Post by kk67 »

Numbers wrote:The French Dispatch - This is good viewing, Benicio Del Toro is great in it despite having virtually no dialogue.
Does it matter ?. The guy is totally unintelligible in The Usual suspects but he's still brilliant. Yaamuthfeucccker'

Watched 'Ready Player One' for the 2nd time last night. It's an odd movie.
Puja

Post by Puja »

kk67 wrote:
Numbers wrote:The French Dispatch - This is good viewing, Benicio Del Toro is great in it despite having virtually no dialogue.
Does it matter ?. The guy is totally unintelligible in The Usual suspects but he's still brilliant. Yaamuthfeucccker'

I mean, it's an odd choice to watch twice. Did you not get enough, "Look, here's that other thing you used to love?" from the first viewing?

Having said that, I enjoyed the latest Spiderman which was basically the same, so I can't really talk.

Puja
Backist Monk
kk67

Post by kk67 »

Puja wrote:
kk67 wrote:

I mean, it's an odd choice to watch twice. Did you not get enough, "Look, here's that other thing you used to love?" from the first viewing?

Having said that, I enjoyed the latest Spiderman which was basically the same, so I can't really talk.

Puja
There is more than saccharine nostalgia happening. There is also a polemic about dystopian society living within artificial existence.
But I am a sucker for nostalgia.
Not a DC sucker.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

I watched the hilariously stupid Moonfall last night. It makes Armageddon and 2012 seem like Brian Cox documentaries.

I have to admit that I quite enjoyed the SciFi explanation, but the film made the mistake of using science that would be acceptable in Star Wars in a NASA setting.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Boiling Point with Stephen Graham, excellent acting.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Numbers wrote:Boiling Point with Stephen Graham, excellent acting.
Yeah this was fantastic I thought. One of those films I feel like basically everyone should see, whether you've worked in the service industry or not. The number of billion dollar blockbusters I've seen in the cinema recently and this blows them all out of the water. I know it's dumb to even make that comparison but whatever.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Was on 2 intercontinental flights, so got to watch 4 movies.

1) Dune. Excellent. A perfect blend of art and sci-fi, so for me very, very good. The sound direction was absolutely spot on.

2) Matrix. Absolute dog shite. Jesus. We didn't finish it. Just the idea of taking the concept and shitting on it. Wow. Awful.

3) No Time to Die. I cried. At a Bond movie. I thought it was excellent. And yes, I know, I cry freely at movies, but this is the only one of the 4 I cried during, and it was so powerful for me. Very well done. And to end it with that song. I had to turn it off, as I was sitting on a full plane and didn't want to be totally bawling my eyes out.

4) Knives Out. Chose it for a film that wouldn't get me thinking or crying, and it worked. A perfectly acceptable film with some quirky bits and some minor laughs. But for a comedy was somewhat lacking in the humour. A lot of that new breed of American humour that has tried to learn from British humour but missed the mark. So just ends up being...odd.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Given what's happened to the MCU since Endgame - this is probably their last (and best) chance to continue taking my money:
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Can’t see the link (shocker) but I saw the trailer for fucking Thor goes on vacation or whatever it’s called. I thought I’d just check in if I’m unfairly hating on all the Marvell stuff without actually watching any of it. Looks utterly excruciating, but I’m genuinely fascinated in what people enjoy about those movies.

Just seems like relentless military propaganda with a load of half arsed irreverent comedy tacked on and a sickly Hollywood gloss all over everything. There seem to be more and more top actors now making this stuff too, which is a shame, but I can imagine it’s hard to turn down that kind of money for a film you can shoot entirely in front of a green screen.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Watched Sonic 2 with the kids over the bank holiday. Was pleasantly surprised by the first one being perfectly watchable and the second one lived up to the same standards. Lots of references and very well executed representations of things from the Megadrive games (recognizing the traps from Aquatic Zone brought a nice nostalgia rush) with a standard kids' film plot and entertaining overacting from Jim Carrey.

Wouldn't say it's a must-see by any stretch, but was decent pleasant fun and kept the kids very entertained.

Puja
Backist Monk
morepork

Post by morepork »

Mikey Brown wrote:Can’t see the link (shocker) but I saw the trailer for fucking Thor goes on vacation or whatever it’s called. I thought I’d just check in if I’m unfairly hating on all the Marvell stuff without actually watching any of it. Looks utterly excruciating, but I’m genuinely fascinated in what people enjoy about those movies.

Just seems like relentless military propaganda with a load of half arsed irreverent comedy tacked on and a sickly Hollywood gloss all over everything. There seem to be more and more top actors now making this stuff too, which is a shame, but I can imagine it’s hard to turn down that kind of money for a film you can shoot entirely in front of a green screen.

You are not alone. Good guys with gunz baby.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mikey Brown wrote:Can’t see the link (shocker) but I saw the trailer for fucking Thor goes on vacation or whatever it’s called. I thought I’d just check in if I’m unfairly hating on all the Marvell stuff without actually watching any of it. Looks utterly excruciating, but I’m genuinely fascinated in what people enjoy about those movies.

Simple answers, good guys and bad guys, right defeating might, people staying true to their principles in the face of overwhelming odds. It's cheery, kiddie-level stuff, but sometimes you need to have something simple and unthreatening.

The tranche up to Infinity War and Endgame also had the fact that it was building a world in a way that films previously hadn't been able to accomplish before, developing a depth of canon of about 50 hours of interwoven storylines (and 11 years of real life investment) that built up into a final event that a) needed that amount of buildup to deliver properly and b) was enough of a cultural event and required so little publicising that it went largely unspoiled, which is unprecedented in a time where we know Doctor Who is regenerating 2 years in advance. It was unprecedented.

I am still unsure about the latest batch of films. They've been... fine, I guess. I don't know I have the faith that they're going to be able to deliver the same build-up and finale a second time around, especially since a large part of the original tranche was the fact that it'd never been done before.

Although one of the major appeals of Thor Goes On Vacation is that its subtitle should be "Taiki Waititi films the Bisexual Gaze". Why is Tessa Thompson in a suit and tie? Who knows and the reason is irrelevant to the fact that it's glorious. I do not know a single queer person who will not be going to see that film.
capture.gif
Puja
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Backist Monk
kk67

Post by kk67 »

Almost all Hollywood movies are tragic happy go lucky nonsense. To claim the Marvel movies are predictable 'good guys win' is a bit silly.
All the James Bond movies, all the cop movies, all the war movies, all the rom-coms.
It's all bollocks.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Well… exactly.
cashead

Post by cashead »

I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
morepork

Post by morepork »

Thor buys a few massive properties in Byron Bay and squeezes the locals out of the rental market and into flood-prone surrounding areas.

Coming to a climate disaster near you.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

cashead wrote:

Yes, but it gives me no pleasure to accept that I live in the universe where Avengers Assemble grossed more than Watchmen.
Buggaluggs

Post by Buggaluggs »

Kingsman (on a flight).
Poor.
Donny osmond

Re: RE: Re: Last film watched

Post by Donny osmond »

Just back from watching the new Dr Strange film with the kids; it's pretty good but they're getting into more and more convoluted story lines and it's almost breaking the films.

I kinda get your point about these films but they can't really be seen as military propaganda as the weapons used are either magical or at least the point of the weapons is that they are infinitely superior to 'ordinary' guns; deliberately making our military hardware look puny and pointless is a funny kind of propaganda.

The half arsed irreverent comedy is a fair shout, depending on the director. Some directors, like the NZ guy who's name I forget, are full on irreverent comedy and it works a treat. Remember, these films are really aimed at younger viewers, not kids but not necessarily old fogeies like you and me.

And the sickly Hollywood gloss, well that's subjective I guess but my daughter's are certainly not shy of talking about the rights and wrongs and ethics of the films. Concepts like self sacrifice for the greater good, understanding principles like cause and effect, or unintended consequences, these are all laid out in the films in a way that both my 11 and 15 yo kids can understand and find appealing.

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk
J Dory

Post by J Dory »

Watched Marcel The Shell With Shoes On with the kids last night. Original, enjoyed by all, highly recommended.
Puja

Post by Puja »

I am here to inform you that Glass Onion is great. Just a perfect murder mystery, in the Agatha Christie tradition of misdirections, a cast of motive-full suspects, most importantly, all of the clues were available to the audience just as they were to the detective, so it was perfectly possible to solve it yourself if you were clever enough.

Plus, it's a hugely entertaining smack on Musk without ever mentioning his name, and has annoyed Ben Shapiro for being mean and woke.

You don't need to have watched Knives Out, as it's a self-contained story (although you should, because Knives Out is great).

Puja
Backist Monk