Does anything else really matter?

Sandydragon

Re: Does anything else really matter?

Post by Sandydragon »

Donny osmond wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:03 am The heatwave currently encompassing most of the northern hemisphere is woefully underreported and genuinely, er, chilling.
Do you think? I’ve seen it reported in multiple outlets, although the focus is on the risk to health, not the potential reasons why there is such a significantly hot heat wave.

Equally, its pissing down in much of Britain so that’s always going to get people talking more.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Sandydragon wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:41 am
Donny osmond wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:03 am The heatwave currently encompassing most of the northern hemisphere is woefully underreported and genuinely, er, chilling.
Do you think? I’ve seen it reported in multiple outlets, although the focus is on the risk to health, not the potential reasons why there is such a significantly hot heat wave.

Equally, its pissing down in much of Britain so that’s always going to get people talking more.
It's been reported but not the breadth or depth of it. China has been fucked for about a month so far, the US likewise, what's going on in Texas and California is mind blowing but it's just reported as a 'heat wave'. The on going 'temperature anomaly' across the entire North Atlantic is scary bad, but again when it's reported it's just as a 'temperature anomaly' which really doesn't convey how serious it is.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Donny osmond wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:15 pm

It's been reported but not the breadth or depth of it. China has been fucked for about a month so far, the US likewise, what's going on in Texas and California is mind blowing but it's just reported as a 'heat wave'. The on going 'temperature anomaly' across the entire North Atlantic is scary bad, but again when it's reported it's just as a 'temperature anomaly' which really doesn't convey how serious it is.
Fair enough. I was thinking of the Mediterranean countries, but I agree news about the US and elsewhere has been less evident.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Which Tyler wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:10 pm Image
.....at least the Indian and Chinese population are employed and fed. Merica don't have much excuse tho.

https://www.worldometers.info/co2-emiss ... y-country/
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

don't think has been officially confirmed yet but seemingly the water temp off the southern tip of Florida has just gone over 100 degF. That's the temp **of the water** in the Gulf of Mexico is apparently over 100 degF now.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

for comparison, the average surface temp of water in the Mediterranean sea is currently at an all time high of 28.4 degC (about 83 degF)
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Sandydragon wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:38 pm
Donny osmond wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:15 pm

Fair enough. I was thinking of the Mediterranean countries, but I agree news about the US and elsewhere has been less evident.
Now it's the turn of the mid-winter southern hemisphere, Chile is recording temperatures of over 100 degF not just in winter, but at an altitude of >1000m.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Hypocrisy isn't strong enough. Sabotage, maybe? Classic 'Dracula in charge of the blood bank' situation for the UAE hosted COP28:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-67508331
morepork

Post by morepork »

I saw this the other day. What cunts. Are they compelled to act in good faith? No, but maybe they shouldn't host it if the exercise is to have even a veneer of credibility.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Petulant privileged host undermines the entire exercise by claiming "no science" behind phasing out fossil fuels.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ssil-fuels

Stop pandering to their wealth and accommodating the bias. Fucking ridiculous.
cashead

Post by cashead »

An Emirati politician arguing against phasing out fossil fuels!? The devil you say!
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
morepork

Post by morepork »

Yeah, this is my surprised face.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Pretty much hijacked, bound and gagged, then fucked in the arse.

Another waste of time, another year goes by.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-67679732
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

29Celcius in Spain yesterday
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

30C in mid winter Spain
Son of Mathonwy

Global warming, Europe freezing. This looks like fun:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... tudy-finds
Son of Mathonwy

morepork

Post by morepork »

Just how many times are corporate interests going to be allowed to crush empirical observation and scientific fact? Tobacco, pain medication, fossil fuel. We've really fucked this one up.
Shako

Post by Shako »

morepork wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:14 pm Just how many times are corporate interests going to be allowed to crush empirical observation and scientific fact? Tobacco, pain medication, fossil fuel. We've really fucked this one up.
do your bit and stop using the internet, then. That should assuage any pangs of guilt.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Shako wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:04 pm
morepork wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:14 pm Just how many times are corporate interests going to be allowed to crush empirical observation and scientific fact? Tobacco, pain medication, fossil fuel. We've really fucked this one up.
do your bit and stop using the internet, then. That should assuage any pangs of guilt.
Suck my cock.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Rare occasion of this UK government doing the right thing: https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... e-policies

Puja
Backist Monk
Son of Mathonwy

Puja wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:21 am Rare occasion of this UK government doing the right thing: https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... e-policies

Puja
A rare moment of sanity. Having said that, no sane government should ever have entered that treaty, or anything similar, in the first place.
morepork

Post by morepork »

More evidence fossil fuel companies knew full well what was coming down the scientific pipeline in response to them munting the climate.

I had no idea that such a cynical charter existed.