COVID19

Which Tyler

COVID19

Post by Which Tyler »

It's about time we had a thread to talk about this in here; especially with Trump's sudden about turn to realise that it may actually exist after all; and Boris's public bollocking from the WHO leading to a U-turn / announcement of what was already planned but previously secret (delete as appropriate).

In the mean time, I've knocked up these JPGs for use at work, if anyone wants to use them, feel free to download - I've kept them neutral and free of any branding for exactly that purpose.
Keep Calm 1.jpg
Open 1.jpg
Sandydragon

Re: COVID19

Post by Sandydragon »

Good effort on the posters.
canta_brian

Post by canta_brian »

Could you do one reminding people that wiping your arse will be pretty unnecessary if all you bought was bog roll instead of food.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Bog roll zombies are the worst. Looking at the shit food people are stocking up on, there won't be much regular bowel movement going on. My biggest worry is that I have only 1/3 of a bottle of whiskey in the house.
canta_brian

Post by canta_brian »

morepork wrote:Bog roll zombies are the worst. Looking at the shit food people are stocking up on, there won't be much regular bowel movement going on. My biggest worry is that I have only 1/3 of a bottle of whiskey in the house.
So long as you also have a case of whisky you will be ok. At time like these we will all have to sacrifice and drink both Irish and Scottish booze.
Digby

Post by Digby »

If you tell Ocado you're self-isolating they will deliver, but they'll only put items on your doorstep and run away, meaning they're not checking the person they're delivering to, and thus will not deliver age restricted items like booze
morepork

Post by morepork »

Speaking of self-isolating, yesterday, a Fox news host/muppet tweeted:

"Great time to fly if not in at-risk population!" alongside a photo from inside a plane on Friday morning. "This is ⁦@united to ORD—new plane, wonderful flight attendants, passengers wiping down everything. (Some of us always did this when traveling!)."

It has since been deleted. If you want all your hospital beds and ventilators used up in double quick time, this is the way to go about it.

Spain went on nation-wide lockdown a few hours ago. Italy is facing having to triage to optimize overwhelmed facilities. Now is not the time to be encouraging people to spread their shit across continents.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

morepork wrote:Bog roll zombies are the worst. Looking at the shit food people are stocking up on, there won't be much regular bowel movement going on. My biggest worry is that I have only 1/3 of a bottle of whiskey in the house.
Were actually down to our last bog roll and we have a curry ready for tonight. Could be emotional later.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

morepork wrote:Speaking of self-isolating, yesterday, a Fox news host/muppet tweeted:

"Great time to fly if not in at-risk population!" alongside a photo from inside a plane on Friday morning. "This is ⁦@united to ORD—new plane, wonderful flight attendants, passengers wiping down everything. (Some of us always did this when traveling!)."

It has since been deleted. If you want all your hospital beds and ventilators used up in double quick time, this is the way to go about it.

Spain went on nation-wide lockdown a few hours ago. Italy is facing having to triage to optimize overwhelmed facilities. Now is not the time to be encouraging people to spread their shit across continents.
Northern Ireland ministers talking about closing schools for up to 14 weeks.
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

As an owd-fart (in the zone) missel' currently doing public service/ customer facing stuff with peeps from every nook and cranny of society, can't believe how many walk around coughing openly ( no turn of the head or hand to mouth );
always drummed into us as kids... :shock:
morepork

Post by morepork »

Galfon wrote:As an owd-fart (in the zone) missel' currently doing public service/ customer facing stuff with peeps from every nook and cranny of society, can't believe how many walk around coughing openly ( no turn of the head or hand to mouth );
always drummed into us as kids... :shock:

There are more vaccines nowdays Grandad.
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

morepork wrote: There are more vaccines nowdays Grandad.
True - diphtheria, TB et al must have been on the look-out list back in the day.
Race on one for this bugger before the next surge in Nov one supposes.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Sooner than that boss. The gig economy is an entirely new variable here that will be hammered by the need for social distance, as epidemiologists coin it. If you can’t work, you don’t get any pinga to pay the rent. There is a clear logic for restricting movement of peeps but no clear plan to accommodate millions of people that are unable to earn because of those restrictions. Toilet paper and stock market are not the primary acute need for support. This event will thrust so many people into poverty and this is where stimulus needs to be prioritised. It’s Billy Bragg time , not X-factor time.

Typing this , I realize my response is completely off topic in the context you responded to.

Sorry about that. Thoughts and prayers?
morepork

Post by morepork »

Italia

Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Vaccine
looks like they've got a head start from earlier sars/mers work and the Chinese, with a Boston lot talking about April using a new-stylee mRNA method. :)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... munisation

Angry peeps
this could be a real challenge with the primeval 'got nowt - need owt - just gunna get owt' mindset that does surface occasionally.No reports from lockdown areas elsewhere to date but patience can wear thin and they start organising.Sure the Policing will be in there early doors.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Galfon wrote:Vaccine
looks like they've got a head start from earlier sars/mers work and the Chinese, with a Boston lot talking about April using a new-stylee mRNA method. :)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... munisation

Angry peeps
this could be a real challenge with the primeval 'got nowt - need owt - just gunna get owt' mindset that does surface occasionally.No reports from lockdown areas elsewhere to date but patience can wear thin and they start organising.Sure the Policing will be in there early doors.

https://www.nature.com/articles/nrd.2017.243
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Herd immunity ? ...clever but the Govt. will probs. moo-ve move back to the S Kor stringent testing model, if the natives get restless with the poor explaining. :|
( what about the older middle-aged who don't get cocooned eh ? :shock: )
That mRNA article looks promising but hurt my brain quite quick - maybe this emergency will allow a bit of fast-tracking.
60-odd cases in Russia so far - must have stringent travel checks in place already, or maybe just less international travel..
morepork

Post by morepork »

Introduce a nucleic acid sequence encoding for a viral surface antigen, which will produce protein for that antigen, which the immune system will recognise as foreign and raise antibodies against. Much safer than an attenuated virus shot. Needs a lot of testing to determine the severity of immune response to the specific protein (i.e. will take time), but an elegantly simple strategy with promise. In the meantime, the world's leading expert on this topic, and indeed any topic, recommends:

paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

The bauld Jared got a friend to email a private group of doctors on Facebook to try and know how to fight the virus! Does he not have a public service etc to do this...wtf
Digby

Post by Digby »

Clearly a man who's spent a lot of time on the NY subway
Puja

Post by Puja »

IMG-20200315-WA0000.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Backist Monk
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Working from home (if possible) just needs to be the way forward now. Many private companies are doing this already, it’s should just be the norm now. I appreciate not everyone can but if it thins out the number of people using public transport or crowding hot dealing environment then it has to be a good thing.
Stom

Post by Stom »

We're in lockdown now.

No schools, no nursery, no nothing.

And I'm going to take full advantage. It really helps that my business is fully able to cope with this, my wife's, too.

But for, let's say, building contractors...who work on contract for companies. Or anyone else who's been pushed onto 0 hour contracts or contract positions rather than employed... They're absolutely screwed.

This virus should seriously expose the true nature of neo-capitalism. Once it's over, we should have a global uprising and rebalance the system so it doesn't screw everyone who isn't an entrepreneur.