COVID Coping Strategies

Galfon

Re: COVID Coping Strategies

Post by Galfon »

Locals should dob'em in - sneaking down under cover of darkness after the lockdown was announced was also reported...good ol' survival instinct eh.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Conversely, there are reports of a nurse staying at a holiday home due to isolating away from her family only to wake her to find her car tyres slashed and the family at their holiday home in Devon who were already down there from London visiting family when the lockdown was announced who had stones thrown at their house.
As you say, dob them in but not all people in holiday homes are selfish planks.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Episode 3:

Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Of course, and most locals are aware that holiday lets in 2nd homes is big business normally, nowt much else happening in the economy in some parts.One would hope it was intelligence led/ evidence based dobinery and not, like you've cited physical randomish attacks arising from a sort of homer-phobia.
Stom

Post by Stom »

So seems like I’ve really taken to baking. Reopened my Instagram account to post my creations. And also drinks and other food. Just sent the wife out for soda, so will be having an Americano this afternoon.

What should I make next?

Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Stom wrote:So seems like I’ve really taken to baking. Reopened my Instagram account to post my creations. And also drinks and other food. Just sent the wife out for soda, so will be having an Americano this afternoon.

What should I make next?

Meth
Stom

Post by Stom »

Mellsblue wrote:
Stom wrote:So seems like I’ve really taken to baking. Reopened my Instagram account to post my creations. And also drinks and other food. Just sent the wife out for soda, so will be having an Americano this afternoon.

What should I make next?

Meth
Stom

Post by Stom »

I made a Negroni instead...

Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

A wise choice. I have made a monumental cock up or a Dick Hatchett as I now call it. Stop laughing mp. I had my jobs list and exercise regimen finished for the day and was ready to sit down in the garden for a refreshing drink.....and I have no beers in the fridge. Amateur hour. Still, there are now a couple in the freezer ready for a curry that is on its way and the questions are finished for the pub quiz I am hosting on Houseparty this evening. Life ain’t too bad.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Mellsblue wrote:A wise choice. I have made a monumental cock up or a Dick Hatchett as I now call it. Stop laughing mp. I had my jobs list and exercise regimen finished for the day and was ready to sit down in the garden for a refreshing drink.....and I have no beers in the fridge. Amateur hour. Still, there are now a couple in the freezer ready for a curry that is on its way and the questions are finished for the pub quiz I am hosting on Houseparty this evening. Life ain’t too bad.
I don’t drink beer anymore, so have some gin, etc., plus whisky, rum, and some wine. White Bordeaux and a Hungarian white called Kéknyelü. Nice. And a red, but I forget what it is
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Set up an auxiliary fridge in the garage for bevs., short discrete walk from garden..range of beers, wines and emergency chocolate.Going well with fine weather.
There's about a dozen local businesses competing for home deliveries through deliveroo/ubereats etc, and they most seem flat out in the evenings. (half of these were in-trade only before) Guy off the soaps shouted to us on the walk 'we now do burgers!' from his trendy bar (closed for regular trade)..desperate times.
His wings in barbie/cajan sauce were tops tbf.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

Hey. All power and love to those of you in Brit land doing it tough. I'm fairly happy that we didn't elect an irretrievable cunt as our PM.

We're locked down hard. We can go out for reasonable exercise within our neighbourhood, which includes the beach, as long as you keep your distance from others. Booze supplies are holding out although I'll confess we're hitting them pretty hard. Breweries can still deliver, and I know the owners of a couple, so we will be ok there. School holidays were brought forward but technically end after Easter. With a 5 and a 7 y.o. I'm not too worried. They love reading and their maths apps, and currently are total best buddies. It is kind of time consuming though. I'm trying to work fulltime - I can generally get a day's work done in 6-7 hours. Mrs Liz works limited hours, which helps. We've also both got sisters in front line health care. Had a video call for a wine and a whisky with my sister tonight, a medical doctor. She had a full shift at her local Covid testing facility today, then when she got home got a call from the police to do a forensic examination on a rape victim. So that puts things in perspective.

Kia kaha.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Lizard wrote:Hey. All power and love to those of you in Brit land doing it tough. I'm fairly happy that we didn't elect an irretrievable cunt as our PM.

We're locked down hard. We can go out for reasonable exercise within our neighbourhood, which includes the beach, as long as you keep your distance from others. Booze supplies are holding out although I'll confess we're hitting them pretty hard. Breweries can still deliver, and I know the owners of a couple, so we will be ok there. School holidays were brought forward but technically end after Easter. With a 5 and a 7 y.o. I'm not too worried. They love reading and their maths apps, and currently are total best buddies. It is kind of time consuming though. I'm trying to work fulltime - I can generally get a day's work done in 6-7 hours. Mrs Liz works limited hours, which helps. We've also both got sisters in front line health care. Had a video call for a wine and a whisky with my sister tonight, a medical doctor. She had a full shift at her local Covid testing facility today, then when she got home got a call from the police to do a forensic examination on a rape victim. So that puts things in perspective.

Kia kaha.
Your PM is just impressing me more and more through this crisis, and I did start with quite a high opinion of her. From her dressing down of the Health Minister for his idiocy while resisting the temptation to sack him (politically popular, but not actually helpful), to releasing an announcement for the kiddiwinks that the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy were key workers and would keep going.

Plus, she hasn't boasted about shaking hands with any virus patients yet, so there's that.

Puja
Backist Monk
morepork

Post by morepork »

Go hard go early baby.

Has fucked up my annual trip home but.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Stom wrote:I made a Negroni instead...

I think you should sort out your lawn ffs ;)
Stom

Post by Stom »

Numbers wrote:

lol, we wanted to get a gardener in to sort it all out, but this lockdown put paid to that. We just had some trees cut down so one of my quarantine activities has been chopping up all the wood for firewood. Instead, we've been designing how we want it. Built-in bbq and firepit here we come!
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Stom wrote:
Numbers wrote:

lol, we wanted to get a gardener in to sort it all out, but this lockdown put paid to that. We just had some trees cut down so one of my quarantine activities has been chopping up all the wood for firewood. Instead, we've been designing how we want it. Built-in bbq and firepit here we come!
Nice, I do like a fire pit.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Numbers wrote:
Stom wrote:
Numbers wrote:
Nice, I do like a fire pit.
We have one, but it’s placed somewhere stupid, close to a tree, so we should move it. But it’s not really movable so will break when we try... so will buy or design a new one. We cook a lot in a Hungarian cauldron called a bogrács, it’s wonderful for gulyas, stew and curry.
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Long distance squatters!... that's thinking outside the box, to where they have promptly been returned.:shock:
..at least they turned up with their own pots & pans apparently..

" A couple have been turfed out of a Welsh village after driving 200 miles to occupy a local holiday cottage. The pair travelled from their home in Surrey to stay at the rental property during the lockdown, prompting suspicion from neighbours. They told locals they had bought the property in Poppit, overlooking Cardigan Bay, but police were called after cracks started showing in their story. A neighbour told The Sun: ‘They must have spotted the place on a website and realised it was empty due to Covid-19. "
(metro.co.uk)
morepork

Post by morepork »

Whole neighborhood smells of weed from 7pm onwards. Many of us are “baking”. Nice.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Seedless cucumbers, peeled, sliced into thin lengths, brushed with ground peppercorns in olive oil then flashed in a wok with olive oil and a pinch of sea salt until just brown are the fucking bomb.

Also, sliced ginger and turmeric lightly heated in oil, throw in a few handfuls of rice and turn until coated, add a shrimp-based stock with a little bonito flakes and a pinch of saffron. Let reduce , adding stock intermittently to reduce like a Munter risotto until the rice is firm but not crunchy and just on the cusp of being dry. This is my new go to carb dish. Fucking simple and delicious.

Finally, cut and hand shred a cabbage and add to oil gently heated with 3-4 whole garlic cloves, toss cabbage until hot and infused then add a tablespoon or so of good stinky fish sauce. Crank on the heat, tossing continuously like a schoolboy until moist but crunchy. The result is surprisingly sweet and the texture is fantastic.

I got sick of mashed potato.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

That’s got me thinking.....I can’t wait until McDonalds reopens.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Fucking savage.
Digby

Post by Digby »

I had no idea McDonalds was even closed.

If you want sesame seeds on any of the above and don't have any you can toast a small amount of rice, dry roast a small handful of rice in a skillet and then place the browned/toasted rice in a pestle a mortar, gently press down to try and shatter the rice grains, you don't want dust and you don't want to send it flying all over the kitchen, add shattered toasted rice to many a salad for a cracking addition of texture, in an ideal world each rice grain would shatter into thirds, and don't apply liberally, less is more