Bob

Who is still playing?

Post by Bob »

I know Stoo is anyone else still at it
Lizard

Re: Who is still playing?

Post by Lizard »

I'm thinking about making a comeback.

After coming home from the UK back in '09 (where I played mostly in the middle ranks of the Herts/Middlesex Merit Tables - you may recall for one season I was the leading try scorer on RR) I played about a season and a half for Waitemate Social XV. This grade tended to be populated by talented players who were too lazy or busy to make the effort to play prems or 2nd grade. I was well out of my depth and hung the boots up after realising that I didn't have the pace to support my midfield after a line break.

When I was back in Blighty to catch a RWC game I turned out for my old club, which was quite fun. And coincidentally, at about the same time, I met a guy who plays President's Grade (Over 35s) for a club literally 5 minutes walk from my house. One of his team mates actually played with my father in their 1st XV at school. So I told him (having had a few beers) to get in touch when the season was starting. He's just emailed me about a pre-season tournament.

So I think I will have to get the boots back down off the memorabilia shelf and give it one more go.

Post by Flying Scarlet »

Aye still playing every week, weather permitting!!
Flanking_Now_Hooks

Post by Flanking_Now_Hooks »

Having a year off to spend more time on my PhD thesis, missing it too much so have decided to return next season, been playing Nat 3 the last few seasons. Absolutely itching to get back into it!
morepork

Post by morepork »

Flanking_Now_Hooks wrote:Having a year off to spend more time on my PhD thesis, missing it too much so have decided to return next season, been playing Nat 3 the last few seasons. Absolutely itching to get back into it!

Good to see you back Frodo. How's the PhiD going?
Flanking_Now_Hooks

Post by Flanking_Now_Hooks »

morepork wrote:
Flanking_Now_Hooks wrote:Having a year off to spend more time on my PhD thesis, missing it too much so have decided to return next season, been playing Nat 3 the last few seasons. Absolutely itching to get back into it!

Like wise Porky, it's getting there - hoping to be submitting next Spring. My primary research is almost complete, three archival visits left (Belfast, Dublin, and Texas) then it's just full steam ahead making everything fit together, I've got around 45 000 words drafted that have been preliminarily signed off by my supervisor and have two publications forthcoming later on this year (only smallish ones, but still relatively rare in A&H.) How're things with you?
Mr Mwenda

Post by Mr Mwenda »

I'm currently hating the preseason weights programme here in Sweden. Season doesn't start until May, usch.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Flanking_Now_Hooks wrote:
morepork wrote:

Like wise Porky, it's getting there - hoping to be submitting next Spring. My primary research is almost complete, three archival visits left (Belfast, Dublin, and Texas) then it's just full steam ahead making everything fit together, I've got around 45 000 words drafted that have been preliminarily signed off by my supervisor and have two publications forthcoming later on this year (only smallish ones, but still relatively rare in A&H.) How're things with you?

Busy as. Have a couple of little PhiDs of my own to torture.
kk67

Post by kk67 »

Played for the Vet's just before Christmas. Fully burdened with every atheletic support and bits of padding the modern game allows. I looked like Stiller in There's something about Mary.
I was expecting to be the oldest player on the pitch but our former London Scottish fly-half is 53.
Tre

Post by Tre »

I've knocked it on the head for about 18 months now, mainly the ankle just can't do it any more. I hurt my neck and had to take the first week of my current job off work so I'm just getting too old and professional for it now I guess.
Renniks

Post by Renniks »

Tempted to try and play again after not playing since College

Wasn't any great shakes then, but after seeing the ability of a friends 3rd XVs - I feel I can't be that much worse… Could very quickly be in for a shock though…
Peat

Post by Peat »

Missed most of this season due to a temporary move to America but fully looking forwards to getting into it next season. I mean, I'm not even 30 yet, there's a good 15 or so years or so left at my standard if I'm lucky and stupid enough...
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal »

Used to be a white version of er, Carlin Isles playing outside centre at age grade county level then, later, Aussie over 30-odd's but now get asked to play Bethlehem in my youngest's Christmas plays so no, not much these days. Playing some beach 7's for a few weeks in Fiji persuaded me to hang up the boots and retire to the bar.

Given the impending disaster, I'm thinking about the Fijians as I type this.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

Lizard wrote:I'm thinking about making a comeback.

After coming home from the UK back in '09 (where I played mostly in the middle ranks of the Herts/Middlesex Merit Tables - you may recall for one season I was the leading try scorer on RR) I played about a season and a half for Waitemate Social XV. This grade tended to be populated by talented players who were too lazy or busy to make the effort to play prems or 2nd grade. I was well out of my depth and hung the boots up after realising that I didn't have the pace to support my midfield after a line break.

When I was back in Blighty to catch a RWC game I turned out for my old club, which was quite fun. And coincidentally, at about the same time, I met a guy who plays President's Grade (Over 35s) for a club literally 5 minutes walk from my house. One of his team mates actually played with my father in their 1st XV at school. So I told him (having had a few beers) to get in touch when the season was starting. He's just emailed me about a pre-season tournament.

So I think I will have to get the boots back down off the memorabilia shelf and give it one more go.
So, update on this. The tournament is on this weekend and I'm in the squad. The squad announcement email mostly used first names only or nicknames and I don't know anyone else in the side. There's a bit of "Reply All" banter though and an email just came through from one Ofisa Tonu'u. Presumably this one http://stats.allblacks.com/asp/Profile.asp?ABID=894

I've hurriedly looked through the mailing list there's also a Kevin Senio (http://stats.allblacks.com/asp/profile.asp?ABID=1058) and a Gavin Williams (http://en.espn.co.uk/scrum/rugby/player/15576.html).

I'm starting to think I've made an awful miscalculation about the standard of Golden Oldies rugby in Auckland...

Post by kk67 »

Classic Vets scenario. You just never know what's going to turn up.
One Sunday in Sarf London, I played against Zinzan.
Make sure your first tackle is a good one, you'll be alright.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

In 2005 I played in the Law Society 7s tournament in London shortly after moving there. I had only just joined the firm I was playing for so didn't know many of my team mates. Between matches I struck up conversation with a slightly older bloke who didn't appear to be remarkable but was given significant deference by the team. I asked if he still played regularly, and he said he turned out occasionally for London Welsh (who I had never heard of). After a bit of chat it turned out he was ex-Saracens and he eventually admitted that he had played for England, earning 2 caps in the mid-field on the "Tour of Hell" in 1998.

Post by Stooo »

Aye still pretending I can play a bit.

Bagged a few tries and a few motm awards.

It's been fun.

One more year at least ;)
Renniks

Post by Renniks »

Lizard wrote:In 2005 I played in the Law Society 7s tournament in London shortly after moving there. I had only just joined the firm I was playing for so didn't know many of my team mates. Between matches I struck up conversation with a slightly older bloke who didn't appear to be remarkable but was given significant deference by the team. I asked if he still played regularly, and he said he turned out occasionally for London Welsh (who I had never heard of). After a bit of chat it turned out he was ex-Saracens and he eventually admitted that he had played for England, earning 2 caps in the mid-field on the "Tour of Hell" in 1998.
That seemed a bit of fun trivia searching:
Steve Ravenscroft ?
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

Yep.

So Ofisa was a no-show today. Not a bad run about but I wish I hadn't stayed in the pub until 1.30 this morning watching the cricket!
joshfishkins

Post by joshfishkins »

Played a charity game against my students yesterday. Great fun until I made a half break, heard something pop and went down like a sack of poo. Now dosed up on ibuprofen, thinking that will be the last time I ever play.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
Buy my books. Feed my kids! Please.

http://tinyurl.com/z8deef3
kk67

Post by kk67 »

joshfishkins wrote:Played a charity game against my students yesterday. Great fun until I made a half break, heard something pop and went down like a sack of poo. Now dosed up on ibuprofen, thinking that will be the last time I ever play.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
Bottle of whiskey says you lie.
I've already won 3 bottles with the exactly the same bet, so I'm up whatever happens.
onlynameleft

Post by onlynameleft »

Been thinking about it for a while, decision taken out of my hands now as I have a cochlear implant and have to avoid impacts to the head. It's a massive relief to be honest. Also gets me out of all sorts of stuff I don't want to do; tree top walking, paintballing, you name it.
kk67

Post by kk67 »

As it was my 49th birthday weekend I decided to turn out for the Vets against 'Combe Pk. Quite a convincing win in the end. Gave the scoring pass out the backdoor for one of our tries and lobbed over the top for another. Dropped a pass (it was going like a bullet) and made maybe 4 tackles ?. It's a bit dull on the wing but I came through unscathed and was able to ref' the U15's on Sunday without too much difficulty. It's no Eddie Izzard but I'm happy with that effort.
Mr Mwenda

Post by Mr Mwenda »

Swedish season began today. Karlstad beat Uppsala away 22-38. Pretty fun match. We dominated the first half, but they roared back after half time to reach 22-23 but then we managed to get back on top (or maybe they ran out of puff). I'm guessing we benefited from all their students being hungover as fuck from the Valborg celebrations the previous day :mrgreen: .

Pretty mixed from me on the wing, ineffectual in the first half but came into the game in the second half despite not receiving any passes to speak of. Our centre got a hat-trick, which was great, but it was on two occasions annoying as we had overlaps wide that we chose not to use in favour of steaming over poor defence. Such is life on the wing in the Swedish third division. At least I ran myself into the ground in the second half and playing on a Sunday will render work interesting tomorrow.
Last edited by Mr Mwenda on Mon May 02, 2016 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Played in my best mate's memorial game (1st game in 14 years), a year on from his death at 51. I promised the missis I wouldn't and would just run touch; but after a bit of a warm up, thought I'd just give it a spin for 15 mins; loved it! But slightly strained my groin...so came off. Phew, got away with it I thought....then looked at my ring finger right hand, and something was awry......tore a tendon without realising it! In a bloody splint now, and missis is unamused!

Had an absolute ball though :). 50 plus of us all turned out in his memory, then watched the 1st team get promotion. Great day...but that's me done!