Who is still playing?

Moderator: Puja

Mellsblue

Re: Who is still playing?

Post by Mellsblue »

I’m 39 and stopped playing when I had a run of concussions age 29. I then moved away from where I played all my club rugby so didn’t get back into it. I also moved to a very wet part of the country which, for 50% of the season, isn’t really conducive to the expansive game I enjoy playing and was another reason not to start up again. My kids started playing, and off the back of that I’m now coaching in the minis and am playing touch this summer. Coach has asked me to play next season and I was up for it until I mentioned it to the long suffering Mrs Mellsblue. She listed all the injuries I suffered over the years and asked how I could fit it in between a full time job, two young kids, who have a packed sporting itinerary, and studying for a masters. She also pointed out that I’ve only just stopped a voluntary role, that took up about 3 hours a week, due to a lack of time and that I was proposing to almost immediately replace it with another 3 hour week activity. I did point out that chairing a committee of idiots was far more onerous than playing the sport I love but this was just met with a raised eyebrow, the first signal that a discussion is not moving in my favour. All that said, I took her advice....sort of...I think I’ll start in the 20/21 season once the masters is finished, and then only when the weather is set fair. As for position, I’m a 10 so the amount of running I do is very much down to myself as well as my middle aged conditioning.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

3 games, 2 X-rays so far this season. Body might be trying to tell me something.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Lizard wrote:3 games, 2 X-rays so far this season. Body might be trying to tell me something.
To adjust your tackle technique and hit harder?

Puja
Backist Monk
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Puja wrote:
Lizard wrote:3 games, 2 X-rays so far this season. Body might be trying to tell me something.
To adjust your tackle technique and hit harder?

Puja
Only trouble the local A&E if you’ve actually broken something?
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

Ha ha. First x-ray, yeah maybe a bit more confidence in the tackle could have helped me not get swatted several yards onto my arse by a large gentleman whose muscles were outnumbered only by his tattoos. Just vertebral bruising that one.

The second one I was the tacklee, not tackler. Should meekly run into touch rather than propping off my right and trying a fend. Heel is still fucked a month later. X-ray showed nothing. Had an MRI Monday.

Thanks for your sympathy, cunts. My career (which BTW has been longer than Brad Thorn’s) is hanging by a thread...
Puja

Post by Puja »

Lizard wrote:Ha ha. First x-ray, yeah maybe a bit more confidence in the tackle could have helped me not get swatted several yards onto my arse by a large gentleman whose muscles were outnumbered only by his tattoos. Just vertebral bruising that one.

The second one I was the tacklee, not tackler. Should meekly run into touch rather than propping off my right and trying a fend. Heel is still fucked a month later. X-ray showed nothing. Had an MRI Monday.

Thanks for your sympathy, cunts. My career (which BTW has been longer than Brad Thorn’s) is hanging by a thread...
No charge. Remember, retirement is something only losers do.

Puja

PS. Hope it's actually nothing serious.
Backist Monk
Digby

Post by Digby »

Lizard wrote: Should meekly run into touch rather than propping off my right and trying a fend.
Is that a thing now, for props or for wingers?
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

https://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-49598887

And here's me thinking I was well past it at the ripe old age of 70!
Makes me want to buy a new pair of boots!
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Does walking rugby count as "Still Playing" - if so, I've recently returned to playing; despite being incapable of running, or jumping off my right; and not being able to risk further injuries due to work.

It's not the same, but it's good to feel safe, and to spend an hour at the club having fun and throwing a ball around. (We don't play quite the way it's shown in this video, I guess the rules have been adapted with experience)

Lizard

Post by Lizard »

Puja wrote:
Lizard wrote:Ha ha. First x-ray, yeah maybe a bit more confidence in the tackle could have helped me not get swatted several yards onto my arse by a large gentleman whose muscles were outnumbered only by his tattoos. Just vertebral bruising that one.

No charge. Remember, retirement is something only losers do.

Puja

PS. Hope it's actually nothing serious.
It turns out I sheared my heel pad off the bone. Nice.

Post by onlynameleft »

Which Tyler wrote:Does walking rugby count as "Still Playing" - if so, I've recently returned to playing; despite being incapable of running, or jumping off my right; and not being able to risk further injuries due to work.

It's not the same, but it's good to feel safe, and to spend an hour at the club having fun and throwing a ball around. (We don't play quite the way it's shown in this video, I guess the rules have been adapted with experience)

I've been doing it also. Not quite as sedate as on the video. Really enjoying it.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

onlynameleft wrote:I've been doing it also. Not quite as sedate as on the video. Really enjoying it.
Yeah, never seen that 3-step rule; and people can be a little... optimistic as to what counts as walking occasion.
We have some players where we're all sedate around them, and some where things like side-steps and more ahem... forceful touch tackles are allowed.
onlynameleft

Post by onlynameleft »

I played in a festival at Sale Sharks over the summer and there were actually a couple of fights and a flying Zidanesque headbutt. We've not lost it.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Probably going to play my first game in 2yrs next weekend
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Scrumhead wrote:Probably going to play my first game in 2yrs next weekend
Good timing. You should be out of traction just in time to watch the final.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Which Tyler wrote:
onlynameleft wrote:I've been doing it also. Not quite as sedate as on the video. Really enjoying it.
Yeah, never seen that 3-step rule; and people can be a little... optimistic as to what counts as walking occasion.
We have some players where we're all sedate around them, and some where things like side-steps and more ahem... forceful touch tackles are allowed.
Yeah, no way I could play that. I'd never be able to stick to walking.

I'm back into training again after my latest health kick started on Monday. My protestations that I'm a back row, not a hooker are much more likely to be believed if I can get my weight back down again.

Puja
Backist Monk
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Probably going to play next Saturday for the first time in 2yrs. Probably a bad idea ...
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Scrumhead wrote:Probably going to play next Saturday for the first time in 2yrs. Probably a bad idea ...
I hate to tell you this but, due the fact you’d already told us this on Tuesday, I think you played yesterday and were concussed leading to memory loss.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Played for the 3rds yesterday and was roped in at hooker despite my protestations. Nearly got roped into prop (I do need to lose some weight) before I pointed out that it's not won't play there, but shouldn't play there, as I'm utterly crap at it. And also, won't.

So, inexperienced front row, not particularly bulky props (my loosehead was jumping 2 in the lineout as well!) and we come up against a trio of horrible old gnarly bastards. Their 3 has likely been propping longer than our 1 has been alive.

It went about as well as you'd expect - they bent us over and marched us backwards in a very businesslike fashion. I did try striking against the head in an early scrum and they bent me backwards over my locks as punishment.

Currently lying down waiting for the latest batch of ibuprofen to kick in. I need to drop a stone so that people will take my claims to be back row only seriously again.

Puja
Backist Monk
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Mellsblue wrote:
Scrumhead wrote:Probably going to play next Saturday for the first time in 2yrs. Probably a bad idea ...
I hate to tell you this but, due the fact you’d already told us this on Tuesday, I think you played yesterday and were concussed leading to memory loss.
Haha. So I did. I must be going senile!

I’m hoping to avoid Puja’s fate. I’m light enough to make a good case to play in the back row, but whether I’m fit enough is a completely different story ...
Puja

Post by Puja »

Played my first full contact game since March today. Very good fun, although it was weird playing without scrums and mauls. Absolutely farking knackered, as I've let my fitness majorly slide during 2Lockdown2Furious, but it was so much fun to be able to pilfer balls at rucks and actually put my shoulder in.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mr Mwenda

Post by Mr Mwenda »

Here's one. I stopped playing a few years ago. The birth of young master Mwenda meant I didn't feel I could commit to rugby (1 hour drive to training and home matches, 3+ hours to away games here in Sweden). However, a secondary factor was increasing concern with head injuries. Every game I'd get clonked on the head at least once and experience light-headedness. This had been occuring for the last few years of play. Often this would stay for a while and I'd often be angry or crabby with my family. So I thought it was best to stop.

Fast forward to now and I now live in the town with the rugby club. I'm still in touch with my teammates and missing playing something rotten. So I start doing the preseason fitness and it's fun and I think I'll play a few games this year and train. I then play some ice hockey with my son and since I'm English I go flying a few times. I don't hit my head but the whiplash falling onto my back causes the light-headedness and irritability. This really depresses me as it wasn't a big fall or anything, just going arse over tit. I just don't want to be a cunt to my family.

So I've decided not to play this year. I've told myself that I haven't retired because I want to play one more time for my hometown club in England to complete the circle. However, is there any way of finding out if there is anything behind the symptoms nor if I'm just overly cautious/oversensitive/soft? I know there are some people with medical knowledge here. Posting here. Engaging with the Swedish medical system is battle of persistence at the best of times so I don't fancy trying during the pandemic.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Mr Mwenda wrote:However, is there any way of finding out if there is anything behind the symptoms nor if I'm just overly cautious/oversensitive/soft? I know there are some people with medical knowledge here. Posting here. Engaging with the Swedish medical system is battle of persistence at the best of times so I don't fancy trying during the pandemic.
I'm afraid not.
It might be worth having a CT / MRI of the brain, if you're worried about something serious; but diagnosis for CTE relies on autopsy, whilst post-concussion syndrome is only ever a "best guess".
Treatment wise; you'd be looking primarily at psychotherapy types like CBT, maybe some medication for the symptoms, whilst something like a Functional Neurology approach may be worth a shot - especially balance / proprioceptive training and neck strength training in an attempt to mitigate future concussions.

I've sent you a PM with a bit more advice / help
Gloskarlos

Post by Gloskarlos »

I'm still playing at 47, Vets mostly but get the occasional call up for the 2nds. No longer back row, I've lost loads of weight and maintained my pace more or less so now play 13. difficult trying not to get sucked in to the forwards. Manage about 6 games a season - one a month which suits me fine as it allows a long recovery period....

We always play a rugby for heroes festival showcase match - Old Leamingtonians Nomads (us vets) against the Army FUBARS vets. I swear every single one of those guys is 35 years and a day old and still fit as butchers dogs. Some of the Fijian guys that play for them are so wide there's no chance of bringing then down on your own, arms won't go round their thighs. Good fun but sh1t the bed do you ache for a week afterwards.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Gloskarlos wrote:I'm still playing at 47, Vets mostly but get the occasional call up for the 2nds. No longer back row, I've lost loads of weight and maintained my pace more or less so now play 13. difficult trying not to get sucked in to the forwards. Manage about 6 games a season - one a month which suits me fine as it allows a long recovery period....

We always play a rugby for heroes festival showcase match - Old Leamingtonians Nomads (us vets) against the Army FUBARS vets. I swear every single one of those guys is 35 years and a day old and still fit as butchers dogs. Some of the Fijian guys that play for them are so wide there's no chance of bringing then down on your own, arms won't go round their thighs. Good fun but sh1t the bed do you ache for a week afterwards.
You have my sympathy - I play in Wiltshire and there are lots of teams near airforce and army bases. Catch them when their Fijians are out, easy victory. Play them when the Fijians are at home and it's significantly more painful.

Puja
Backist Monk