Who is still playing?

Moderator: Puja

Mr Mwenda

Re: Who is still playing?

Post by Mr Mwenda »

First match at home, supposedly against Stockholm Exiles 3s. Because they had only 15 players they had the right to demand we play 13-a-side, which we did. Their team contained, at a guess 5-7 first team players (Exiles 1s are the best team in Nordic rugby, a very impressive bunch who do not resemble third teamers in any way). Many of the rest we knew from games against their 2s over the past few years. The result was one hell of pumping. I spent most of the time as wing/full back and was largely a bystander as they powered through around the ruck, offloading time and again. Managed to play scrum-half for the last 20 minutes, which was a laugh and a half in any case. Nice to see what the ball looks like and be a dick around the ruck :D

I do wonder what the point of Exiles sending that squad out in a development league was, mind....
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal »

[quote="Banquo"]tore a tendon without realising it! In a bloody splint now, and missis is unamused!/quote]

Post-50, yon splint may come in handy. Hang on to the fecker.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Parsifal wrote:
Banquo wrote:tore a tendon without realising it! In a bloody splint now, and missis is unamused!/quote]

Post-50, yon splint may come in handy. Hang on to the fecker.
lol..
armchair fan

Post by armchair fan »

Inspired by the RWC and a shed load of booze I agreed back in October to join a local club and play for the first time in 16 years.

Loved it. Absolutely loved it. I've been smashed about and felt ridiculously sore, but given I've done virtually no physical exercise in a decade and I sit behind a desk all day that's probably par.

I've been playing 2nd row for our scratch side 2nd team and whilst we lose most weeks the camaraderie and sheer fun has been immense.

High point was being part of a rolling maul that trundled from outside the 22 to over the line. Something we practiced actually worked.

Low point was definitely being smashed by a guy who 10 years previously had been one of my Cub Scouts (was a Scout Leader for some time back in the day). Humiliating doesn't begin to cover it, especially as he shouted "bad luck Baloo" on his way back from under the posts.

The real glory though was I was awarded "2nd team most improved player" far surpassing my expectations. The captain gave my season the following fulsome praise "you've gone from s**t to dreadful in a few short months. Well done.".

It's been great fun and I really wish I'd never stopped playing. I've actually missed it a great deal since the season ended; that said pre-season starts on 29th June and I can't say I'm keen. If anyone's been out of the game for a while, or has never played, I can't encourage you strongly enough to give it a go - team spirit, drinking buddies, get fitter, get away from wife and kids - what could be better.

7s can f**k right off though.
Adder

Post by Adder »

Going back into the game and starting training tonight with the Sofia Barbarians.
It's been over 2 years since I dislocated my knee, 3 years since breaking my foot, and I'm wondering if my legs will hold together. Can I still run?
Not been doing much for the last few years, between baby and work, life has been chaotic.
kk67

Post by kk67 »

It's just like falling off a bike.
Adder

Post by Adder »

Legs survived, Shoulders, neck and back took a fair beating though. I feel mighty and weak at the same time.
kk67

Post by kk67 »

Adder wrote:Legs survived, Shoulders, neck and back took a fair beating though. I feel mighty and weak at the same time.
Keep the knees safe. Measure your tackling to match your injuries.
e.g. Don't make a massive hit with the dislocated shoulder, just ride it and take him low......put the big hits on the good shoulder.
Peat

Post by Peat »

Currently in "Incredibly unfit sub" mode. Wasn't amused to play as much as I did yesterday but have to say, loved it. 22 all draw with Old Elthamians and probably could have won it. Next game eh. Which is conveniently against KK's mob.

Won't be able to move much today though. Which is a mild bother.
Mr Mwenda

Post by Mr Mwenda »

Swedish season ended there with a bad-tempered home defeat to a bunch of twats and ringers from Västerås. I fear I may knock it on the head, at least for a season - I can't be arsed with one hour drives to training and home games, 3 hour trips to away matches and about 8 games total over the whole summer. Broke another finger this year and the concussion stuff is making me think a bit harder about things. I need a drink.
kk67

Post by kk67 »

Peat wrote:Currently in "Incredibly unfit sub" mode. Wasn't amused to play as much as I did yesterday but have to say, loved it. 22 all draw with Old Elthamians and probably could have won it. Next game eh. Which is conveniently against KK's mob.

Won't be able to move much today though. Which is a mild bother.
Aye,.......quality
kk67

Post by kk67 »

On the subject of frontrow causing havoc in the last 10 mins:
I had 2 of them today. Grizzled tighthead, who was playing a cameo at 8 after a switch and his very young, ginger, hipster loosehead. They were both fairly wide boys.......but playing uphill, from their own half, they combined 4/5 times, for 2 tries in the last 8 mins.

Of course I was totally disgusted by such behaviour but I don't think that's the impression I gave when I gleefully shrieked 'TRY THERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'
I just blew the whistle the 2nd time.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

November 1986 was the last time I put on my boots for the club 4th XV - and I scored a try using my speed and sidesteps from all of 5 yards (metres didn't exist back then!)
However, the other night in a dream, I scored a try for Wales!! ........ which is worrying 'cos I'm not Welsh!!!!
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal »

francoisfou wrote:November 1986 was the last time I put on my boots for the club 4th XV - and I scored a try using my speed and sidesteps from all of 5 yards (metres didn't exist back then!)
However, the other night in a dream, I scored a try for Wales!! ........ which is worrying 'cos I'm not Welsh!!!!
It's possible you could qualify under the little known nocturnal reverie rule.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Parsifal wrote:
francoisfou wrote:November 1986 was the last time I put on my boots for the club 4th XV - and I scored a try using my speed and sidesteps from all of 5 yards (metres didn't exist back then!)
It's possible you could qualify under the little known nocturnal reverie rule.
Do you mean qualify to play for Wales? If so, I must give Rob Howley a call and declare my availability for selection!!
old-n-slo-2nd-row

Post by old-n-slo-2nd-row »

Thanks to the power of "RugbyRebels" an historic match will take place outside Pristina when the Sofia Barbarians visit to play the Kosovo Roosters. This match would never have happened if it hadn't been for this forum. Really looking forward to meeting "adder" and his Bulgarian mates.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

old-n-slo-2nd-row wrote:Thanks to the power of "RugbyRebels" an historic match will take place outside Pristina when the Sofia Barbarians visit to play the Kosovo Roosters. This match would never have happened if it hadn't been for this forum. Really looking forward to meeting "adder" and his Bulgarian mates.
That's awesome.
rowan

Post by rowan »

old-n-slo-2nd-row wrote:Thanks to the power of "RugbyRebels" an historic match will take place outside Pristina when the Sofia Barbarians visit to play the Kosovo Roosters. This match would never have happened if it hadn't been for this forum. Really looking forward to meeting "adder" and his Bulgarian mates.
Nice! Did any of those Turkish contacts I forwarded come to anything?
If they're good enough to play at World Cups, why not in between?
old-n-slo-2nd-row

rowan wrote:Nice! Did any of those Turkish contacts I forwarded come to anything?
Yes, we are trying to sort out some support through the Turkish business community here and hope to be able to do a home and away. Will keep you posted. Cheers!
rowan

Post by rowan »

old-n-slo-2nd-row wrote:
rowan wrote:Nice! Did any of those Turkish contacts I forwarded come to anything?
Yes, we are trying to sort out some support through the Turkish business community here and hope to be able to do a home and away. Will keep you posted. Cheers!
Good luck!
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
old-n-slo-2nd-row

roosters v barbarians.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

Nice to know that no matter where you play, there's always pylons by the pitch.
rowan

Post by rowan »

Lizard wrote:Nice to know that no matter where you play, there's always pylons by the pitch.
Those might even be the goal posts, since the field looks like a farm up in the Balkans somewhere . . .
old-n-slo-2nd-row

rowan wrote:
Lizard wrote:Nice to know that no matter where you play, there's always pylons by the pitch.
Those might even be the goal posts, since the field looks like a farm up in the Balkans somewhere . . .
Ha! Where do you think they get their "energy" from :) and Rowan, how dare you! The pitch was (almost) perfect, without a furrow or cowpat in sight!