NFL Draft

Mellsblue

NFL Draft

Post by Mellsblue »

Any other NFL fans out there who will be watching the draft tonight/tomorrow morning? I am a Billy no mates when it comes to American Football ....so could do with fellow fans to discuss with.
switchskier

Re: NFL Draft

Post by switchskier »

Love a bit of American football. Going to be a weird draft though which such an abbreviated scouting process. Expect a few shocks and a few more misses on high picks.

Burrow seems the consensus to go number 1 but think tua will be the better long term player. It's amazing how few left handed quarterbacks there have been though.

Expecting my niners to trade back a few times given we have no picks in rounds 2-4. Last year covered up a few holes in the roster and think we're light at cornerback especially. Best case scenario however is that we draft a top OT and he plays guard for a year until Staley hangs them up, then trade back to fill gaps. Don't want a WR as everyone has us mocked to take as Shanahan will scheme anyone open and we can't replace Buckner in this draft so shouldn't try.

Who's your team?
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

switchskier wrote:Love a bit of American football. Going to be a weird draft though which such an abbreviated scouting process. Expect a few shocks and a few more misses on high picks.

Burrow seems the consensus to go number 1 but think tua will be the better long term player. It's amazing how few left handed quarterbacks there have been though.

Expecting my niners to trade back a few times given we have no picks in rounds 2-4. Last year covered up a few holes in the roster and think we're light at cornerback especially. Best case scenario however is that we draft a top OT and he plays guard for a year until Staley hangs them up, then trade back to fill gaps. Don't want a WR as everyone has us mocked to take as Shanahan will scheme anyone open and we can't replace Buckner in this draft so shouldn't try.

Who's your team?
Yeah everyone saying there will be surprises as lots of pro days cancelled and no visits to the ‘facility’. Also reading that draft analysts have boards a lot more different to the teams than usual as no chance to pick up bits of info due to COVID.

I’m a Giants fan. Hoping for a trade back from 4, still pick up one of the top four OT’s and get at least one pick on Day 2. Need a centre, an athletic linebacker and free safety on Day 2. Would like a big body wide receiver with either rd3 comp or rd4 pick - hoping Claypool falls that far.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Mellsblue wrote:
switchskier wrote:Love a bit of American football. Going to be a weird draft though which such an abbreviated scouting process. Expect a few shocks and a few more misses on high picks.

Who's your team?
Yeah everyone saying there will be surprises as lots of pro days cancelled and no visits to the ‘facility’. Also reading that draft analysts have boards a lot more different to the teams than usual as no chance to pick up bits of info due to COVID.

I’m a Giants fan. Hoping for a trade back from 4, still pick up one of the top four OT’s and get at least one pick on Day 2. Need a centre, an athletic linebacker and free safety on Day 2. Would like a big body wide receiver with either rd3 comp or rd4 pick - hoping Claypool falls that far.
Giants sitting in a key position but believe Gettleman rarely trades back. Reckon he takes Bekton at 4, just because he's huge. Thought that you'd signed Martinez in free agency for that linebacker slot (though I don't really rate him, misses too often)?
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

switchskier wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:

Who's your team?

Giants sitting in a key position but believe Gettleman rarely trades back. Reckon he takes Bekton at 4, just because he's huge. Thought that you'd signed Martinez in free agency for that linebacker slot (though I don't really rate him, misses too often)?
Never traded back in his career but making the right noises. Becton does seem his type, would be a boom or bust pick. Our linebacker corps is so thin. Will still need at least one more and they need a good athletic profile. Every lb with have is a run stuffer but pretty useless in coverage. I think Martinez is a step up on what we had but still a bit of a plodder, relatively speaking.
Must be nice to be in SF’s position of picking cherries for the cake. If Young falls, v wishful thinking, I’d like to think he’d do for the Giants what Bosa did for your lot last year but our roster is full of so many holes...... and we don’t have a Shanahan.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Have to admit, I don't really like this Giants team but feels like it should be poised for a step up. Saquon is a star, lots of talented young receivers and Jones shows promise. No idea on defence though. Any truth of to the rumours that they're shopping Engram?

Young's not getting past Washington though. They could actually be set for a leap this year as their DL has a load of potential. Going to make Jones' life hell for the next couple of years.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Engram can’t stay out of the physios office. He’s lethal when fit, however. See his td against the Bucs last year. One rumour was a trade to SF, but that seems a strange one as you already have Kittle.

I think if they can sort the O line then Barkley could light up the place and Jones may stop fumbling it every other snap. He either threw a worldly or turned it over last season. They may end up running something similar to what SF did in the playoffs with Jimmy G just handing the ball off to the running back 8 times out of 10.

There is a certain irony that we lost the ‘Chase Young Bowl’ last year meaning we’ll now have to face him for the next 4/5 years min. That D line will be spectacular.

Just looked at your picks ......will be interesting to see what your lot do. Surely you’ll have to trade out of the first round? Gettleman loves a trade up from second rd to first. If Ruiz or Baun are sat there at 31 it might be the Giants, assuming we can get a decent haul for no4.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Mellsblue wrote:Engram can’t stay out of the physios office. He’s lethal when fit, however. See his td against the Bucs last year. One rumour was a trade to SF, but that seems a strange one as you already have Kittle.

I think if they can sort the O line then Barkley could light up the place and Jones may stop fumbling it every other snap. He either threw a worldly or turned it over last season. They may end up running something similar to what SF did in the playoffs with Jimmy G just handing the ball off to the running back 8 times out of 10.

There is a certain irony that we lost the ‘Chase Young Bowl’ last year meaning we’ll now have to face him for the next 4/5 years min. That D line will be spectacular.

Just looked at your picks ......will be interesting to see what your lot do. Surely you’ll have to trade out of the first round? Gettleman loves a trade up from second rd to first. If Ruiz or Baun are sat there at 31 it might be the Giants, assuming we can get a decent haul for no4.
Aye, I saw the Engram rumour to SF. They're looking to upgrade on Dwelley for the second tight-end slot and have seen us linked to Burton and Howard as well. Market should be oversupplied with high potential but under-delivering TE's. Burton would be my preference though.

Also seen some suggesting a trade back with the Giants as Lynch loves moving around to get his guys. No-one really knows with this front office though, not many leaks and we've had a few surprises in recent years.

No other NFL fans out there? There used to be a few.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

switchskier wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:Engram can’t stay out of the physios office. He’s lethal when fit, however. See his td against the Bucs last year. One rumour was a trade to SF, but that seems a strange one as you already have Kittle.

Aye, I saw the Engram rumour to SF. They're looking to upgrade on Dwelley for the second tight-end slot and have seen us linked to Burton and Howard as well. Market should be oversupplied with high potential but under-delivering TE's. Burton would be my preference though.

Also seen some suggesting a trade back with the Giants as Lynch loves moving around to get his guys. No-one really knows with this front office though, not many leaks and we've had a few surprises in recent years.

No other NFL fans out there? There used to be a few.
How are you feeling about Kinlaw and Aiyuck (sp?)? Both v good players. Plenty think Kinlaw has a higher ceiling than Brown. What picks do you now have for day 2?

I’m ok with Thomas. Probably the most pro-ready OT of the lot. Not exactly a ‘sexy’ pick. One commentator made the good point that pre-season time at ‘the facility’ may well be heavily reduced. If you need a pick to plug and play, and we do at OT, then it may be best to go with most polished rather than highest ceiling. I’m ok with that. I would’ve been happy with any of the top four OTs. Surprised that Wirfs was last of the four.

Gutted that Ruiz went before we had a chance. Great (awful) back story, though. The yanks love a good (terrible) back story. Plenty of talent at Giants’ position of need left on the board:
Delpit
Winfield Jnr
Baun
Gross-Matos
Epenesa
Cusenberry (might be a reach)
I think we may trade back for an early rd3 player. Most saying that Gettleman tried to trade back in rd1 but there were no buyers.

I thought the draft analysts were pretty much spot on. Only real surprise was the lb taken before Queen. I also reckon Rodgers might be a bitted pissed off they drafted his replacement after he’d publicly begged for skill position and supposedly he’s a bit of a prima donna at the best of times.

Did you manage to stay up? I did and am now home schooling powered by endless cups of tea.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Pretty mixed feelings this morning. I'm of the school of thought that what you need in the draft is more shots at the dartboard. So trading up in the first round to get 'your' guy isn't an approach that I'm a fan of. We're now looking at not picking until the end of the 5th or mortgaging our future, in what is meant to be a really deep draft. Think we'll end the draft light at cornerback and drafting for need at tackle next year.

I also loved Buckner. He is one of the three best DT's in the league in my view, consistently gets pressure. Kinlaw has a great story and may have loads of potential but he's just not going to be a replacement. The Solomon Thomas pick is still hurting us there.

On the other hand Lynch and Shanahan have earned the benefit of the doubt. Aiyuk looks really exciting and the idea of effectively having two Deebo's sounds like fun. There's almost too many weapons now and not enough targets to go around but I'm still hoping Pettis gets out of the doghouse because his routes looked so good 18 months ago.

Not many surprises at the top of the draft. Cowboys have to be delighted to get Lamb. That are now no excuses for Dak. Raiders drafting the speedster in Riggs shows that some things never change.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Mostly I'm wondering what the OT is? Outside/open target/tackle, offensive tail
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Digby wrote:Mostly I'm wondering what the OT is? Outside/open target/tackle, offensive tail
Offensive tackle. As in attacking, not abusive.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Mellsblue wrote:
Digby wrote:Mostly I'm wondering what the OT is? Outside/open target/tackle, offensive tail
Offensive tackle. As in attacking, not abusive.
I did wonder about that and decided that might imply other tacklers were passive. Also offensive tail is just a better name
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Major trade as we pick up Trent Williams for a 5th round pick and a third next year. Apparently it's pending a medical but don't know how that works as Washington will use that 5th shortly

Must mean that Staley is retiring. Shame as he's been a legend and possible hall of famer. Great personality too. It was heart wrenching watching him after the Superbowl loss. No way we can pick up Williams salary and get under the cap otherwise though,band that extension for Kittle is looming.

Also means a very small draft class. We're basically running it back from last year and saying that we didn't win a Superbowl because we were unlucky on the day. Not sure that I agree with that.

Hoping that Bryce Hall continues to slide because of injuries. Could be the absolute steal of the draft and we can afford to let him sit and get fit. Surely someone takes a chance before the end of the 6th though.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Williams is a great get and I’m glad he’s out of the division. Gives our anaemic pass rush more of a chance. I believe Staley informed your lot he was retiring on health grounds prior to the draft.

I’m happy with the Giants’ draft so far. I think McKinney and Holmes were absolute steals. Not having a pick at the start of the third round has hurt us, though. Some serious talent went in that vicinity, including my favourite player of the draft, Antonio Gibson. He went to Wash, as well, so I get to watch him run through and round us twice a year.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Annoyingly Hall goes to the jets who will waste him.

McKinney looks a good get, especially where you got him. Have to admit I haven't really seen him play though. Friends thought Delpit may have been the better call.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

switchskier wrote:Annoyingly Hall goes to the jets who will waste him.

McKinney looks a good get, especially where you got him. Have to admit I haven't really seen him play though. Friends thought Delpit may have been the better call.
Yeh. We needed a free safety and he’s not really quick enough for that. However, I think it was a best player available job. Most mocks I saw had him in the mid to late teens. Didn’t bother watching highlights of him as I assumed he wouldn’t be there at 36. I did watch Delpit, amongst others, for the 36 pick....he runs like Cullen but tackles like Morgan Parra.

Statement from Staley:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Anyone watched the Alex Smith ESPN documentary? Warning, best avoided whilst eating.

One of my favourite players for the resilience he showed and one of the most underappreciated players for years. He was actually really athletic too and I was annoyed when he was benched for Kaepernick. He'd just come off a game for the niners where he completed 23 of 24 passes when he got that concussion. Should have gone to the Superbowl in 2011 (Kyle Williams muffed punt), 2012 (concussion) and 2013 (Lucks lucky fumble in the divisional round). Similarly he had Washington leading the division at 6-3 when the leg break happened.

Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Scheduled released and the one good thing about the Giants being sh!t is that they aren’t on prime time too much. Only on the first weekend, as nearly always, and then back to back in the middle of the season. Assuming the world is back to something close to normal I will be in NY for the Browns match. Hopefully, I will be there to watch OBJ’s return to the MetLife. Other than that, the release of the fixtures has brought home how brutal this schedule is for the Giants. This, along with a new coaching staff, and I can see another top 6 pick in the draft.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

49ers at the Giants in week 3, but it's the week after we play the jets so assume that the team will be staying on the east coast.

Our schedule looks brutal weeks 7 - 10. The bye will be welcomed after this lot (assuming the season goes ahead):

Week 7 - @ New England
Week 8 - @ Seattle
Week 9 - v Green bay
Week 10 - @ New Orleans

I see that Earl Thomas' wife has been arrested for pointing a gun at him when finding him and his brother in bed with two women. Apparently she tracked them down through his Snapchat account.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

The lives of NFL players make footballers look like angels.

Yep. That’s a brutal run. Gotta hope Stidham is a complete and utter bust.

Not looking forward to the 49ers....we have to play both Super Bowl teams, so the MVP QB, plus the 2019 OROY QB, Russell Wilson, runner up for the 2018 OROY QB behind a newly strengthened O-line, Dak with Lamb added to Zeke, Cooper and Gallup and, just for the lols, GOAT with Gronkowski. All this with a secondary that was one of the worst in the league last year and with a brand new coach implementing his scheme in a truncated pre-season. Bradberry and McKinney need to fit in straight away and Baker needs to play like a first rounder. Luckily, we are in the NFC LEast and will need to make hay against the Redskins (that defensive front, though!) and the Eagles (I’m hoping that draft sets them back). We also must beat the Steelers & Browns in the first two matches and the Bengals to have any chance of having a good season. Should also be aiming to beat the Browns.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Mellsblue wrote:The lives of NFL players make footballers look like angels.

Yep. That’s a brutal run. Gotta hope Stidham is a complete and utter bust.

Not looking forward to the 49ers....we have to play both Super Bowl teams, so the MVP QB, plus the 2019 OROY QB, Russell Wilson, runner up for the 2018 OROY QB behind a newly strengthened O-line, Dak with Lamb added to Zeke, Cooper and Gallup and, just for the lols, GOAT with Gronkowski. All this with a secondary that was one of the worst in the league last year and with a brand new coach implementing his scheme in a truncated pre-season. Bradberry and McKinney need to fit in straight away and Baker needs to play like a first rounder. Luckily, we are in the NFC LEast and will need to make hay against the Redskins (that defensive front, though!) and the Eagles (I’m hoping that draft sets them back). We also must beat the Steelers & Browns in the first two matches and the Bengals to have any chance of having a good season. Should also be aiming to beat the Browns.
It's a pretty tough schedule but at least you have the Browns and Bengals rather than Steelers and Ravens. Both should be winnable games, and Browns should be a good matchup, good game to get to see. Reckon your giants are headed for something like a 6-10 season though.

Anyone interested in a fantasy league? Never found enough people to make it worthwhile and the number of people posting doesn't make me hopeful, but...
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Is it right that Gronk and Brady are reuniting at....................Tampa Bay?
Digby

Post by Digby »

Even Kyle Walker?
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Digby wrote:
Even Kyle Walker?
Even Kyle Walker.