NFL Draft

Mellsblue

Re: NFL Draft

Post by Mellsblue »

Last edited by Mellsblue on Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Was gutted when I couldn’t get tickets for tomorrow’s match but given the the injury list I’m now glad I didn’t spend £100s.
Out:
WR1
WR2
WR3
WR4
CB2
CB3
EDGE2
QB2
Questionable:
DL1
Not way he can fully fit after last week’s injury:
QB1
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

The comments are quite amusing but the one that resonated is how would it work adding a 9th division? Do they play in the AFC or NFC? Maybe two teams for each and the division winner only gets a wildcard slot. Or maybe it'll be accompanied by a 10th division with teams in places like Toronto, Mexico City, San Antonio and St Louis?
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

What. Is. Happening.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Mellsblue wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:53 pm What. Is. Happening.
Danny Dines doing his best Colin Kaepernick impression on a balky ankle? Plus you've got Matt Brieda and Richie James, you're all good.

Oh, and Rogers has always been overrated
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Barkley out of the wildcat - how do the Packers not know that is coming?

Fair play to Daboll though. He's calling a brilliant second half and Green Bays defence looks tired. This could still go the Packers way though if they start running the ball properly.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

:shock:
Read it was bad but f**k

switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Great wildcard weekend (so far) when it looked like there were some pretty one-sided games on paper. And all if the bills, giants and niners are into the divisional round. And even better, Kirk Cousins lost.

Eagles still look like the most complete team to me, followed by the Chiefs. Can see exploitable flaws in all of the others: surprised that no team has used the screen game more effectively against Martingales rush defence yet, Miami pushed Allen into turnovers again and the miners defensive front is overrated when the regs allow Bosa to be held (every damned play).

Pleased for McDaniels that the dolphins put in that performance with a third string quarterback and without their lead running back. Absurd that his job was apparently on the line. Refs were a bit all over the place in that game.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Mellsblue wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:30 am
Nah, give me Mr Relevant:

Will Giants fans be annoyed if Jones now goes elsewhere in free agency or do you franchise tag him if a long term deal can't be worked out? Don't think that anyone thought that failing to pick up the 5th year option was the wrong move.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Pretty much everyone agreed not picking up the fifth year option was the correct decision and pretty much everyone now wants him signed up asap.
He’s improved week on week, and the passing game has expanded loads in the last month/6 week and he’s passed every test. Everything is miles better than a year ago: velocity, placement, pocket presence, full field reads. It’s amazing what a competent o-line and quality coaching will achieve. We just need to upgrade the wide receivers now…we’re currently rolling with a 5th round pick and two picked off others’ practice squads which is neither quality nor quantity. Oh and $75mil of Kenny geriatric hip Golladay.
Saquon had only 8ish carries yesterday… Jones pretty much carried the offense.
Working on 5hrs sleep is so much easier after a playoff win!
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Mellsblue wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:46 pm Pretty much everyone agreed not picking up the fifth year option was the correct decision and pretty much everyone now wants him signed up asap.
He’s improved week on week, and the passing game has expanded loads in the last month/6 week and he’s passed every test. Everything is miles better than a year ago: velocity, placement, pocket presence, full field reads. It’s amazing what a competent o-line and quality coaching will achieve. We just need to upgrade the wide receivers now…we’re currently rolling with a 5th round pick and two picked off others’ practice squads which is neither quality nor quantity. Oh and $75mil of Kenny geriatric hip Golladay.
What you saying about my man Ritchie James?

Jones did look impressive last night. Daboll obviously coach of the year.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

switchskier wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:51 pm
Mellsblue wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:46 pm Pretty much everyone agreed not picking up the fifth year option was the correct decision and pretty much everyone now wants him signed up asap.

James is pretty much indispensable at the moment. That’s mostly because there’s pretty much no one else on the roster outside of the three playing that is a reliable NFL calibre receiver and the fact that his role is central to the Kafka/Daboll voodoo… at least that’s what a couple of analysts I listen to say, I don’t have a bloody clue!

Daboll must be favourite but Pederson is in with a shout, plus Siriani if the Eagles win the whole thing. Speaking of coaches, Kafka has three HC interviews and Wink one. Not being s**t has its own problems… which you’ll be more used to!
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Mellsblue wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:31 pm

James is pretty much indispensable at the moment. That’s mostly because there’s pretty much no one else on the roster outside of the three playing that is a reliable NFL calibre receiver and the fact that his role is central to the Kafka/Daboll voodoo… at least that’s what a couple of analysts I listen to say, I don’t have a bloody clue!

Daboll must be favourite but Pederson is in with a shout, plus Siriani if the Eagles win the whole thing. Speaking of coaches, Kafka has three HC interviews and Wink one. Not being s**t has its own problems… which you’ll be more used to!
Demeco Ryan's is apparently interviewing for every current vacancy. No idea when he'll find time to prep for sunday's game.

Is a niners-cowboys playoff weekend, so this is going to be fun. Cue many clips of the 90's.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

switchskier wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:22 am

Demeco Ryan's is apparently interviewing for every current vacancy. No idea when he'll find time to prep for sunday's game.

Is a niners-cowboys playoff weekend, so this is going to be fun. Cue many clips of the 90's.
Kafka has said he won’t interview until the Giants have no more games… so 13th Feb at the earliest :)
I’ve seen clips of Purdy but nothing other than highlights. Is he the real deal or is Shanahan just doing Shanahan things?
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Mellsblue wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:24 am

Kafka has said he won’t interview until the Giants have no more games… so 13th Feb at the earliest :)
I’ve seen clips of Purdy but nothing other than highlights. Is he the real deal or is Shanahan just doing Shanahan things?
For the last pick in the draft, not coming from a powerhouse program at Iowa State, he's been amazing.

Yes he has loads of weapons but he gets through his reads and gets into the right plays time and again. You can tell that he played a lot of college reps. In some way he is the complete opposite of Lance. His ceiling is limited by his physical limitations and only ok arm, but he's quick over 5 meters. His opposition has been soft and Shanahan has been crafting good game plans, but he's running the offense as well as jimmy was and is more fearless. Some are even asking what Lance is worth in trade, though I don't expect that to really come to anything.

Safe to say, I'm a fan (though I always have a soft spot for heady players rather than physical specimens). I reckon he'd be higher in the conversation for rookie of the year if he didn't look 12 years old.

You reckon the giants have a shot against the Eagles? Feels unlikely to me (though I'll be rooting for you to come to Santa Clara)
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

switchskier wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:47 pm

For the last pick in the draft, not coming from a powerhouse program at Iowa State, he's been amazing.

Yes he has loads of weapons but he gets through his reads and gets into the right plays time and again. You can tell that he played a lot of college reps. In some way he is the complete opposite of Lance. His ceiling is limited by his physical limitations and only ok arm, but he's quick over 5 meters. His opposition has been soft and Shanahan has been crafting good game plans, but he's running the offense as well as jimmy was and is more fearless. Some are even asking what Lance is worth in trade, though I don't expect that to really come to anything.

Safe to say, I'm a fan (though I always have a soft spot for heady players rather than physical specimens). I reckon he'd be higher in the conversation for rookie of the year if he didn't look 12 years old.

You reckon the giants have a shot against the Eagles? Feels unlikely to me (though I'll be rooting for you to come to Santa Clara)
I don’t think he was as bad a prospect as his Mr Irrelevant tag would suggest as most of the analysts had him graded higher than that. I think he just suffered from all the QBs other than Pickett falling so far. I reckon his rookie of the year chances will suffer for only playing single digit number games but if he gets you to the Super Bowl…

I think we’ll get pumped. Our only hope is that Hurts is still hampered by his shoulder injury. Not looking forward to getting up for a 1am kick off only to watch us lose.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

oops
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Mellsblue wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:09 pm
switchskier wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:47 pm

I don’t think he was as bad a prospect as his Mr Irrelevant tag would suggest as most of the analysts had him graded higher than that. I think he just suffered from all the QBs other than Pickett falling so far. I reckon his rookie of the year chances will suffer for only playing single digit number games but if he gets you to the Super Bowl…

I think we’ll get pumped. Our only hope is that Hurts is still hampered by his shoulder injury. Not looking forward to getting up for a 1am kick off only to watch us lose.
I’ll have to take my final answer, as Magnus Magnussen didn’t say. The decision to get up at 1am, to be fully awake by the 1.15am ko, was wholly regretted by 1.30am by which time we’d given up two touchdowns and an interception.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

NFL is not good for my heart. That didn't feel likely all game long but defence came up big at the right time of the season. Fred Warner is some player.

Brock Purdy now has as many playoff wins as Dak Prescott. Suspect McCarthy is looking for work soon and Sean Payton is about to land in Dallas (though he was less than enthusiastic about Dak at halftime).

Eagles next is a massive test. But first, some sleep before work.
Last edited by switchskier on Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Congrats and please beat the Eagles.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Anyone watching the NFL championship game? I wasn't confident but everything that could go wrong in the first quarter has.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

switchskier wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:38 pm Anyone watching the NFL championship game? I wasn't confident but everything that could go wrong in the first quarter has.
yep plus they lost the plot in the third quarter and gone to sh5t completely now
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Banquo wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:59 pm
switchskier wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:38 pm Anyone watching the NFL championship game? I wasn't confident but everything that could go wrong in the first quarter has.
yep plus they lost the plot in the third quarter and gone to sh5t completely now
The game was over when Kroft missed that block on Riddick and Purdy picked up the injury. No team wins a championship game with the 4th string quarterback, and even then he only lasted a handful of snaps (plus one horrendous fumbled snap). I can excuse many of the defensive penalties just for desperation to try make something happen.

Eagles best team in the NFC this year, but gutted that we didn't get a proper shot at it. Still, one more year in our window before the monster Bosa deal starts to impact the wider roster.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

switchskier wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:10 pm
Banquo wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:59 pm
The game was over when Kroft missed that block on Riddick and Purdy picked up the injury. No team wins a championship game with the 4th string quarterback, and even then he only lasted a handful of snaps (plus one horrendous fumbled snap). I can excuse many of the defensive penalties just for desperation to try make something happen.

Eagles best team in the NFC this year, but gutted that we didn't get a proper shot at it. Still, one more year in our window before the monster Bosa deal starts to impact the wider roster.
yep....have to say the foul on roughing the kicker was well harsh, he was propelled at the kicker by the defence. But yes, fckd once had no quarterback that could actually throw.