NFL Draft

Banquo

Re: NFL Draft

Post by Banquo »

Bit puzzled by Kansas choosing to take a field goal rather than the certain touchdown- was it just about running down the clock and denying the eagles any time to score? Would have looked a tad mad if the eagles had run back the resulting ko for their own t/d.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

How are we all feeling about last night? I’m buzzing about Banks and I’m buzzing about Schoen. I think they’re both the real deal.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Bit of a non-event for a niners fan. We don't pick until 99 so won't be staying up to see, though I imagine that with 11 picks we will try trade up at some point. My main thing is that we don't trade Lance cheap, which seems less likely with Pevis' fall.

Eagles look to have done really well. If Carter is the real deal and keeps his nose clean then the best front in the league just got better, and consensus seems to be that Smith was good value too.

Do love the fact that the Lions can't help but he the Lions. An ascending team, with loads of capital, and they over-draft the second running back and an inside linebacker.

Still think that a draft would help rugby hugely. Time to start another thread on it.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

switchskier wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:15 pm Bit of a non-event for a niners fan. We don't pick until 99 so won't be staying up to see, though I imagine that with 11 picks we will try trade up at some point. My main thing is that we don't trade Lance cheap, which seems less likely with Pevis' fall.

Eagles look to have done really well. If Carter is the real deal and keeps his nose clean then the best front in the league just got better, and consensus seems to be that Smith was good value too.

Do love the fact that the Lions can't help but he the Lions. An ascending team, with loads of capital, and they over-draft the second running back and an inside linebacker.

Still think that a draft would help rugby hugely. Time to start another thread on it.
All of the NFC East upgraded already good d line and we don’t even have a centre… yet.

Yeah, Lions have had a nightmare and the rich Eagles keep getting richer.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

I love Joe Schoen.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

FML
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Mellsblue wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:35 amFML
Dont worry. With McCarthy calling plays there's a limit on how far the cowboys can go, even with that defence.

Niners looked good. Just the pickup I needed after the South Africa game. Fun one in LA too with the dolphins.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

I’ll put on the Giants match it can’t be as bad as the England match…. oh.
FML
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Mellsblue wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:33 pm
FML
I'm watching the niners put in a fairly listless performance against the Rams but looks like should still be a win at least. But losing to the Giants? That's got to really hurt and is beyond a reversion to the mean after all of the success last year.

How bad does it have to get for Daboll to come under pressure?
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

switchskier wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:20 am
FML
I'm watching the niners put in a fairly listless performance against the Rams but looks like should still be a win at least. But losing to the Giants? That's got to really hurt and is beyond a reversion to the mean after all of the success last year.

It was quite the second half in which both the defence and the offence went from looking like England to looking like France. The pressure is probably now off Daboll, especially as it looked like he took over play calling from Kafka for the comeback. There’s a bloody tough run of games now and I expect to be 1-5/2-4 by the time we play the Commanders on 22/10. We then need to start winning more than we lose.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Mellsblue wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:19 am
FML

It was quite the second half in which both the defence and the offence went from looking like England to looking like France. The pressure is probably now off Daboll, especially as it looked like he took over play calling from Kafka for the comeback. There’s a bloody tough run of games now and I expect to be 1-5/2-4 by the time we play the Commanders on 22/10. We then need to start winning more than we lose.
You watching tonight's game? Giants better than I expected. Liking McKinney at safety, even if he's verging on early at all times. Niners able to run the ball increasingly though, which bodes well.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

switchskier wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:50 am

You watching tonight's game? Giants better than I expected. Liking McKinney at safety, even if he's verging on early at all times. Niners able to run the ball increasingly though, which bodes well.
Given the time I’m posting it’s obvs but it’s a no. I’m in Lille this weekend and my train for this morning was cancelled so I had to drive down south late last night (eerrgghh) and sleep over at a friend’s house.
Just seen the highlights and Purdy’s two touchdown throws are unreal. No surprises we didn’t get offence going with a depleted o line and no Barkley but it sounds like the d line got worn down again which is increasingly becoming a worry give it’s meant to be a strength. My trusted commentators on Twatter said you looked even better than expected.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Mellsblue wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:25 am
switchskier wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:50 am
Given the time I’m posting it’s obvs but it’s a no. I’m in Lille this weekend and my train for this morning was cancelled so I had to drive down south late last night (eerrgghh) and sleep over at a friend’s house.
Just seen the highlights and Purdy’s two touchdown throws are unreal. No surprises we didn’t get offence going with a depleted o line and no Barkley but it sounds like the d line got worn down again which is increasingly becoming a worry give it’s meant to be a strength. My trusted commentators on Twatter said you looked even better than expected.

To be honest, the Giants made it easy for us. Jones threw absolutely everything short to avoid taking pressure so the defence was able to play everything in front of them, which they love. On a night when officials were keen to call PI they didn't go deep until late in the game and in desperation.

Our offense started out bad and got a bit lucky. Giants coverage was good, there was no real separation at any point. But Matingdale sent pressure at an insane rate - 78% of dropbacks I saw on Twitter, which really plays into our hands if it allows Deebo, Kittle and McCaffrey to get one on one. Niners had almost double time of possession so not surprising that the D-line was a bit gassed by the end.

So Giants talent level better than I expected. McFadden looks like a find, he was everywhere. But weirdly I thought they were a bit let down by their coaches which I didn't expect. The result never felt in doubt, without the niners ever hitting top gear. We'll need to be better for Dallas.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Ffs. Draft szn already…
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

This is unreal. Dobbs hadn’t taken one rep in practice before the match. Sorting cadence with his o line on the sidelines before the match.

https://x.com/reggiewilsontv/status/172 ... MV3j-SK8yQ

https://x.com/seifertespn/status/172129 ... MV3j-SK8yQ
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Mellsblue wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:02 am This is unreal. Dobbs hadn’t taken one rep in practice before the match. Sorting cadence with his o line on the sidelines before the match.

it was wild. But he was pretty good for the cardinals at the start of the season I thought and didn't deserve to be dumped for an overrated Kyler Murray.

Eagles against Cowboys was a good game. Amusing to see Dak blow it at the end again. Has he ever come up clutch in such a situation? Eagles keep winning and the scary thing is that they have room to get better. Bengals and Ravens looking ominous too.

How are you feeling about being in the Caleb Williams sweepstakes? He looks pretty special and all you have to do is start DeVito or Barkley for the remainder of the season and hope that the Cardinals pick up another random win somewhere. I'll be annoyed if he ends up at the patriots (don't think it will happen).
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

switchskier wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:42 am
Mellsblue wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:02 am This is unreal. Dobbs hadn’t taken one rep in practice before the match. Sorting cadence with his o line on the sidelines before the match.

it was wild. But he was pretty good for the cardinals at the start of the season I thought and didn't deserve to be dumped for an overrated Kyler Murray.

Eagles against Cowboys was a good game. Amusing to see Dak blow it at the end again. Has he ever come up clutch in such a situation? Eagles keep winning and the scary thing is that they have room to get better. Bengals and Ravens looking ominous too.

How are you feeling about being in the Caleb Williams sweepstakes? He looks pretty special and all you have to do is start DeVito or Barkley for the remainder of the season and hope that the Cardinals pick up another random win somewhere. I'll be annoyed if he ends up at the patriots (don't think it will happen).
Excited! Maye sounds like he’s not that far behind him, either. We’ll feck it up somehow by getting a meaningless win or two. We’re also hampered by having top 3 strength of schedule and beating the Cardinals.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Found this interesting - NFL team using maul tactics to make small near guaranteed gains:

Anyone who knows more than me about the sport got a comment?

Puja
Backist Monk
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Puja wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:17 pm Found this interesting - NFL team using maul tactics to make small near guaranteed gains:

Puja
Rumours are it’ll be banned from next season. The 49ers beat the Eagles 42 vs 19 with Philly only scoring one TD so I’m guessing they did negate it. Mailata is a rugby league covert, with Samoan parents who have NZ citizenship, so would’ve had some knowledge of the scrum and possibly the maul before the Scottish coach turned up. Kelce & Dickerson are uber athletic/explosive and seriously good O-line men - Kelce is a hall of fame shoo-in -and Hurts is a big/heavy/stocky QB so they are uniquely set up to do this.
I’ve always thought the NFL could take loads from rugby but this is not what I thought they’d nick!
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Mellsblue wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:38 pm
Puja wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:17 pm Found this interesting - NFL team using maul tactics to make small near guaranteed gains:

Puja
Rumours are it’ll be banned from next season. The 49ers beat the Eagles 42 vs 19 with Philly only scoring one TD so I’m guessing they did negate it. Mailata is a rugby league covert, with Samoan parents who have NZ citizenship, so would’ve had some knowledge of the scrum and possibly the maul before the Scottish coach turned up. Kelce & Dickerson are uber athletic/explosive and seriously good O-line men - Kelce is a hall of fame shoo-in -and Hurts is a big/heavy/stocky QB so they are uniquely set up to do this.
I’ve always thought the NFL could take loads from rugby but this is not what I thought they’d nick!
The 'tush-push' is really just a more coordinated QB sneak. Loads of teams have done it for years, Brady was the original master.

Where the eagles have found an edge is by how they use it to think about the game. Analytics have said for years that coaches should go for it more on fourth down, that the odds of making it are high enough to offset the risk of not getting the required yardage. But most play callers are actually a bit conservative and old school by nature. By practicing the one yard sneak and putting emphasis on it what the eagles have done is allowed themselves more options when faced by a third and medium or long (6+ yards). The reason that if they can get close then thats ok because on fourth down they can push themselves over and get the extra yard. It gives them more options. They're exceptional at it, as above, because their OL is exceptional and Hurts has massive power for a QB, and because they practice it, but the real innovation is in the mental approach.

It did work against my niners once (and failed once) but it didn't matter because we kept them out of 3rd or 4th and short situations where they might use it effectively. We did this by bring disciplined about rush lanes, not allowing short passes or Hurts to scramble and daring Hurts to go deep. Every innovation has a reaction.

Sunday was a great game for a niners fan though. Am now worried that we've peaked too soon.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Bills need to back this up next week and the next and next. No room for let up.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Big D wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:18 am Bills need to back this up next week and the next and next. No room for let up.
Getting hot at the right time though and schedule is relatively soft. The Bills scare me more than any AFC team other than the Ravens.

Looks like maybe Dorsey was the problem there. They look much more balanced and less Allen centric with Brady calling plays.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Massive week of coach firings. Belichick, Carroll and Saban all gone, with Belichick the GM finally getting Belichick the coach fired. A quarter of the league is now looking for a new head coach. Tomlin is now the longest serving head coach followed by Harbaugh (2008), Reid (2013) and then Shanahan/McVay/McDermott, who it feels like were only appointed.

Can't see where all of the coaches are going to come from. Everyone wants to appoint a young offensive savant but there aren't many left and those that are around have hardly any experience. Someone like Slowik or Smith have only a season calling plays as offensive coordinators. But it's going to feel weird to see Belhicik in a Falcons hoodie. Anyways, my guesses for who ends up where:

Atlanta - Belichick (they want a big name and Blank will spend)

Carolina Panthers - Flores (should admit their mistake and go back to Wills, but instead feel the need to make a splash)

Las Vegas - Vrabel (feels like a Raiders sort of thing to do. Could swap this with Chargers)

LA Chargers - Harbaugh (will be attracted by Herbert and Spranos have no long term vision)

New England Patriots - Mayo (internal promotion that fails because he's too much a tougher miserable bastard)

Seattle - Quinn (returning home just makes too much sense)

Tennessee Titans - Johnson (evidently happy to wait for the right opportunity and Titans are going to tear down and build)

Washington Commanders - Macdonald (think they hire Peters as GM and he makes the smart pick)
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Feck me. Almost switched that game off at halftime. 17 points down and just completely outplayed at the line on both sides of the ball. Didn't have a hope of stopping the run. Then Campbells aggressiveness finally gets the better of him (twice), we get so lucky and we're going to the Superbowl.

Chiefs will be a terrible match up for us with Jones wrecking shop inside and Mahomes is obviously a unicorn. But I now get two weeks to enjoy the build up.

Phew.