Cancelling travel - refunds?

Donny osmond

Cancelling travel - refunds?

Post by Donny osmond »

We have flights booked to Italy on 4th July. It's was due to be a big family holiday, but the accommodation has cancelled for obvious reasons so we're thinking of cancelling the whole deal.

Being a cheapskate (insert Scottish joke here) I booked the flights that are non refundable. We haven't heard anything as yet from the airline, Lufthansa. What are the chances of getting a refund....? [emoji848]

Sent from my CPH1951 using Tapatalk
Banquo

Re: Cancelling travel - refunds?

Post by Banquo »

Donny osmond wrote:We have flights booked to Italy on 4th July. It's was due to be a big family holiday, but the accommodation has cancelled for obvious reasons so we're thinking of cancelling the whole deal.

Being a cheapskate (insert Scottish joke here) I booked the flights that are non refundable. We haven't heard anything as yet from the airline, Lufthansa. What are the chances of getting a refund....? [emoji848]

Credit card refund might be the best bet? The obvious question is, is the flight still scheduled?
Digby

Post by Digby »

A big problem for a lot of people is flights are still scheduled, even if you'd need to quarantine for 14 days on the other side, though non-refundable does sound a problem. I'm wondering what you might need to get a refund, best bet might be to get the Foreign Office to rule Italy isn't a safe place to travel

God knows what comes out of this mess, even people actually due a refund could easily merely end up creditors getting between 0-1p in the £1
Donny osmond

Re: RE: Re: Cancelling travel - refunds?

Post by Donny osmond »

Banquo wrote:
Donny osmond wrote:We have flights booked to Italy on 4th July. It's was due to be a big family holiday, but the accommodation has cancelled for obvious reasons so we're thinking of cancelling the whole deal.

Credit card refund might be the best bet? The obvious question is, is the flight still scheduled?
It is booked via credit card but that's still no guarantee.

And in today's lesson in the importance of timing... "Italy reopens for tourism"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52687448

If we do decide to just go, assuming we can get accommodation, will we need to quarantine on the way back into the UK?

Digby

Post by Digby »

That is another issue, people might be flying several hours just to isolate for x days on either end. If you want to try and get a straight factual answer from government I wish you luck, I've been trying for years and they've not taken up the challenge of giving an answer yet, updates though, lots and lots of updates, also platters of meaningless platitudes
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Digby wrote:That is another issue, people might be flying several hours just to isolate for x days on either end. If you want to try and get a straight factual answer from government I wish you luck, I've been trying for years and they've not taken up the challenge of giving an answer yet, updates though, lots and lots of updates, also platters of meaningless platitudes
14 day quarantines kill tourism stone dead outgoing and incoming. Brexiteers will get their wish.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Banquo wrote:
Digby wrote:That is another issue, people might be flying several hours just to isolate for x days on either end. If you want to try and get a straight factual answer from government I wish you luck, I've been trying for years and they've not taken up the challenge of giving an answer yet, updates though, lots and lots of updates, also platters of meaningless platitudes
14 day quarantines kill tourism stone dead outgoing and incoming. Brexiteers will get their wish.
Even those who secured a passport from an EU nation because the limitations shouldn't apply to them. Which still doesn't help those who've booked flights get a refund, if their flight exists it exists no matter how useless that is
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Digby wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Even those who secured a passport from an EU nation because the limitations shouldn't apply to them. Which still doesn't help those who've booked flights get a refund, if their flight exists it exists no matter how useless that is
yep.
morepork

Post by morepork »

I think traveling right now is madness. That's how it spread so quickly in the first place. What do they do upon entry? Pack you in like sardines then take your temperature? Good luck with that.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

Air Fiji didn't cancel my flight home in July. They just moved it to August!
Buggaluggs

Post by Buggaluggs »

If you cancel you might get a credit (which may or may not be any use to you). If the airline cancels you're supposed to be able to get your money back, but airlines are making that process as difficult as possible. So you end up playing a game of chicken.
Donny osmond

Re: RE: Re: Cancelling travel - refunds?

Post by Donny osmond »

morepork wrote:I think traveling right now is madness. That's how it spread so quickly in the first place. What do they do upon entry? Pack you in like sardines then take your temperature? Good luck with that.
It was all booked before the pandemic. Ideally we wouldn't travel, but if it means losing £1500 ... it needs consideration

Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Buggaluggs wrote:If you cancel you might get a credit (which may or may not be any use to you). If the airline cancels you're supposed to be able to get your money back, but airlines are making that process as difficult as possible. So you end up playing a game of chicken.
That's the best plan - ask for a credit. Good shout.