Injuries

Moderators: Puja, Misc Forum Mod

Which Tyler

Injuries

Post by Which Tyler »

I'm not involved, but I've promoted this project whilst they were data-gathering, and pointed some members of the forum in their direction.

UK Athlete Health Study
The findings from our study on total injuries across a rugby career and their long term impact, were published today in Sports Medicine.
We are calling for efforts to be stepped up for brain and MSK injury prevention at all levels of the game, and for support of players post retirement.
Thanks to everyone who took part. More research findings to follow.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 20-01310-y
Conclusion

Across multiple injury types, past participation in rugby union and rugby league, particularly at elite level, is associated with a high cumulative injury load and a continued impact of previous injuries post-retirement. Given the high number of reported concussions (and their recurrence) and associations between previous injuries during a player’s career and current musculoskeletal conditions, efforts should be prioritized to reduce the occurrence and recurrence of injuries in rugby codes at all levels of the sport. Strategies should also be developed for supporting the specific physical health needs of rugby code athletes post-retirement.
So basically - "For the love of any god you care for - get your club to run the RFU's Activate [rogramme for injury prevention". I under the impression that the basic resources are available to anyone, but the added training would be for RFU affiliated clubs only.