The future's bright, so give us a Kiss

Eugene Wrayburn

The future's bright, so give us a Kiss

Post by Eugene Wrayburn »

New board, new thread...
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

NS. Gone but not forgotten.
Eugene Wrayburn

Re: The future's bright, so give us a Kiss

Eugene Wrayburn wrote:New board, new thread...
new star player. Welcome Marcel Coetzee! I'm almost as excited as when i heard we were signing Pienaar. Coetzee has it in him to be the best flanker in the world.

Tre

Post by Tre »

Still some spending power in Ireland!
Eugene Wrayburn

Tre wrote:Still some spending power in Ireland!
Aye. I also think it's important to get one major player in who will persuade others. i think Ruan has been instrumental in enticing quality players to Ulster

BBD
Site Admin

Post by BBD »

The enticement factor is an unquantifiable bonus. Ruan has been the most influential signing in the pro 12, the impact on games and the way he brings out the best in others around him is massive. He is a hard act to follow
Peat

Post by Peat »

There's been rumours that Ulster have cash to burn for a while - delighted we're finally seeing it happen.

Half-backs and front row aside, next year's squad is beginning to look a little silly.
BBD
Site Admin

Post by BBD »

Did Rory lose his wallet down the back of the sofa?
Eugene Wrayburn

Peat wrote:There's been rumours that Ulster have cash to burn for a while - delighted we're finally seeing it happen.

Half-backs and front row aside, next year's squad is beginning to look a little silly.
AI time is going to be tough. We desperately need a more composed deputy to Ruan, although maybe Kiss can improve Small Paul. I don't know what we're going to do about a substitute for Paddy. iHumph is hopefully in a slump rather than a terminal decline. He's hardly the acceptable standard anyway. we might have to rely on Olding or Luke M. Mind you Nelson did a half decent job so maybe he could be developed there. If Rory and Herring are both going to be with Ireland we're going to be looking for hookers from round the Albert Clock. I think we're grand for lhp - not world beating but enough to see us through most competitions. I was hoping that Herbst would prove rather better than he has. I'm not sure what we can do about it.

Peat

Post by Peat »

BBD wrote:Did Rory lose his wallet down the back of the sofa?
D4 stole it cos they're jealous. Clearly.
Eugene Wrayburn wrote:
Peat wrote:There's been rumours that Ulster have cash to burn for a while - delighted we're finally seeing it happen.

AI time is going to be tough. We desperately need a more composed deputy to Ruan, although maybe Kiss can improve Small Paul. I don't know what we're going to do about a substitute for Paddy. iHumph is hopefully in a slump rather than a terminal decline. He's hardly the acceptable standard anyway. we might have to rely on Olding or Luke M. Mind you Nelson did a half decent job so maybe he could be developed there. If Rory and Herring are both going to be with Ireland we're going to be looking for hookers from round the Albert Clock. I think we're grand for lhp - not world beating but enough to see us through most competitions. I was hoping that Herbst would prove rather better than he has. I'm not sure what we can do about it.
SH - I'd say Kiss improving Wee P is odds against. Tbh, I quite like Wee P even as is, I'm more bothered by the fact the next guy in line is Shanahan and he's barely played so no one knows if he has it or not.

FH - Rumours of Cathal Marsh coming north. Not sure we need another ginger substitute FH who can't goalkick (although people say Nelson's still seen primarily as a FB). iHumph is out of contract and I suspect that's the end of him. Personally I'd like to see us develop Nelson.

FR - John Andrew's got something but needs game time. Can't see Herring cracking Ireland anytime soon, sadly enough. Herbst I think/hope will kick on after second season syndrome (Warwick too) but there's still only Ah You for competition there... guess that'll have to do. Looseheads will do, aye, although one of Warwick and Black need to find some form.

Not a lot that can be done about any of those positions that can be done bar internal development imo. Shanahan and Andrew in particular either need a lot more game time or cutting loose imo.
Eugene Wrayburn

Peat wrote:
Eugene Wrayburn wrote:

SH - I'd say Kiss improving Wee P is odds against. Tbh, I quite like Wee P even as is, I'm more bothered by the fact the next guy in line is Shanahan and he's barely played so no one knows if he has it or not.

FH - Rumours of Cathal Marsh coming north. Not sure we need another ginger substitute FH who can't goalkick (although people say Nelson's still seen primarily as a FB). iHumph is out of contract and I suspect that's the end of him. Personally I'd like to see us develop Nelson.

FR - John Andrew's got something but needs game time. Can't see Herring cracking Ireland anytime soon, sadly enough. Herbst I think/hope will kick on after second season syndrome (Warwick too) but there's still only Ah You for competition there... guess that'll have to do. Looseheads will do, aye, although one of Warwick and Black need to find some form.

Not a lot that can be done about any of those positions that can be done bar internal development imo. Shanahan and Andrew in particular either need a lot more game time or cutting loose imo.
Ricky Andrew isn't still with us surely? Christ on a bike. Get shot.

I'd forgotten Ah you was coming. We need the ball carrying, but I'm not sure his scrummaging is up to it.

I'm worried about number 8. FNW is gone. Roger Wilson is getting slow by his own admission. Who have we got? Who can we pinch from elsewhere?

Peat

Post by Peat »

John Andrew, not Ricky. The younger brother.
Eugene Wrayburn

Peat wrote:John Andrew, not Ricky. The younger brother.
Ah. Ricky went to Donny or somewhere didn't he?

Peat

Post by Peat »

Eugene Wrayburn wrote:
Peat wrote:John Andrew, not Ricky. The younger brother.
Ah. Ricky went to Donny or somewhere didn't he?
Something like that... I don't know where, bless him for being a trier but Ricky Andrew wasn't a player I felt moved to keep track of.

And now I've reminded myself of David McIlwaine...
Tre

Re: RE: Re: The future's bright, so give us a Kiss

Post by Tre »

Delighted to see the money they didn't have to spend on the redevelopment of Ravers being put to use.
Peat

Post by Peat »

Rumour has it Jack Conan will be joining Marcell Coetzee in the Ulster back row next season.
Eugene Wrayburn

Peat wrote:Rumour has it Jack Conan will be joining Marcell Coetzee in the Ulster back row next season.
That's about right. They've got back rowers coming out of their ears and we need an 8. I'll be entirely pleased.

Eugene Wrayburn

Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

Peat wrote:
Eugene Wrayburn wrote:

Herring is already capped (once) and is in fine form at present. He's a great all-round hooker whose earlier experience in the back row has stood him in good stead re. mobility and support play. I'd like to see him on the Ireland squad right now and rate him ahead of either Cronin or Strauss. He's still only 25 but has seemed to be around for ages.
Peat

Post by Peat »

Spiffy wrote: Herring is already capped (once) and is in fine form at present. He's a great all-round hooker whose earlier experience in the back row has stood him in good stead re. mobility and support play. I'd like to see him on the Ireland squad right now and rate him ahead of either Cronin or Strauss. He's still only 25 but has seemed to be around for ages.
I'd clarify that in my opinion of the Ireland squad, there's precious little between him and the Leinster pair, and every reasonable opportunity should be taken to give him the chances to show he's better and build as he has the higher ceiling and right now is set to be Ireland's next long-term first choice hooker.

But I don't pick the Ireland team, Joe Schmidt does, and right now I have the same opinion of Schmidt's selectorial tendencies as about 9/10 Ireland followers not from Leinster. So I'm expecting nothing for him.
Eugene Wrayburn

Peat wrote:
Spiffy wrote: Herring is already capped (once) and is in fine form at present. He's a great all-round hooker whose earlier experience in the back row has stood him in good stead re. mobility and support play. I'd like to see him on the Ireland squad right now and rate him ahead of either Cronin or Strauss. He's still only 25 but has seemed to be around for ages.
I'd clarify that in my opinion of the Ireland squad, there's precious little between him and the Leinster pair, and every reasonable opportunity should be taken to give him the chances to show he's better and build as he has the higher ceiling and right now is set to be Ireland's next long-term first choice hooker.

But I don't pick the Ireland team, Joe Schmidt does, and right now I have the same opinion of Schmidt's selectorial tendencies as about 9/10 Ireland followers not from Leinster. So I'm expecting nothing for him.
Cronin is a very different player made for coming off the bench, but I'd have Herring ahead of post-surgery Strauss.

Eugene Wrayburn

Well that was rubbish. We just don't have the depth to cope with any sort of rotation or injury. Small Paul was utterly dreadful and the pack just seemed completely out of sorts. God knows what happened to Cave because he was doing a good impression of the worst player on the pitch.

Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

Eugene Wrayburn wrote:Well that was rubbish. We just don't have the depth to cope with any sort of rotation or injury. Small Paul was utterly dreadful and the pack just seemed completely out of sorts. God knows what happened to Cave because he was doing a good impression of the worst player on the pitch.
The Ulster defence was a complete joke and just waved the Scarlet's centres through all match.
Little grunt up front and a plodding backrow.
Ulster has been winning games by small margins while playing badly, but finally the chickens came home to roost and the limitations were exposed.
Their central reliance on Pienaar also means that when he's in a run of poor to mediocre form they don't know what to do.
Fair play to Scarlets, who came to play rugby, ran the ball impressively with plenty of gas and tackled like demons.
Regan King might have been an All Black legend if his career hadn't taken a turn early on. Still a classy player.
Eugene Wrayburn

Utter utter shite. That's the most half assed performance I'v seen from Ulster in a very long time. Almost like they couldn't give a toss or were out on the lash last night.

Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

Eugene Wrayburn wrote:Utter utter shite. That's the most half assed performance I'v seen from Ulster in a very long time. Almost like they couldn't give a toss or were out on the lash last night.
Yes. Nobody stood out except Olding, who is probably the best broken field runner in Ireland, and who pulled off great try-saving tackle.

Paddy missed a couple of sitters at crucial stages in the game.
Tre

Post by Tre »

Eugene Wrayburn wrote:Utter utter shite. That's the most half assed performance I'v seen from Ulster in a very long time. Almost like they couldn't give a toss or were out on the lash last night.
Lots of dropped balls from both teams. You expect it from us, but Ulster dropped the ball a lot.