Lions squad named

Anything rugby not covered by the other forums.

Moderators: Puja, Misc Forum Mod

Galfon

Re: Lions squad named

Post by Galfon »

Redemption..pen. on offer. Itoje doing his stuff.
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

16 - 16
pen Russell...squeeky-bum time noo :)
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

What's the owd-fella doing now ?
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Couldn't make it up ... A Steyne on the Series.. ballix.
19 - 16.
A minute left.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Well at least this game was compelling in some respects.

Russell showed some balls to play the game a bit, shame barely anyone else did but I enjoyed this game. Seems fitting that him not taking a high ball leads to those crucial points at the end. SA just too good at making it that kind of a game.
Mr Mwenda

Post by Mr Mwenda »

Well played Boks, took the opportunities in all three tests.
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Front row crumples;
FT: SA 19 - 16 Lions
SA take the Series.
jngf

Post by jngf »

Well done boks!

Lions played a lot better this match in large part down to Finn Russell - Gatland was too conservative with his starting selection in back 5 of pack in all 3 tests and their lack of carrying power - with Henderson, Watson, Beirne and Falatau available - in all honesty the buck has to stop with Gats
Last edited by jngf on Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Shame we waited 170min before having a real go at playing rugby.
morepork

Post by morepork »

SA commentators cannot see past penalties as the way to score more points. Anti-rugby is endemic there it seems. The Lions so could have countered that negative game plan but unfortunately dull has a monopoly on tactics. Fucking Gatland.
Puja

Post by Puja »

I could complain about the ref for 62 minutes, but the reality is that we deserved that series loss. Played rugby for two relatively short passages in that test and didn't bother playing it at all in the first two - reaped what we sowed.

Puja
Backist Monk
morepork

Post by morepork »

jngf wrote:Well done boks!

Lions played a lot better this match in large part down to Finn Russell - Gatland was too conservative with his starting selection in back 5 of pack in all 3 tests and their lack of carrying power - with Henderson, Watson, Beirne and Falatau available the buck has to stop with Gats

No. The backs were emasculated by selection and tactics in all 3 tests. The Boks will just eat forward carries all day long.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Puja wrote:I could complain about the ref for 62 minutes, but the reality is that we deserved that series loss. Played rugby for two relatively short passages in that test and didn't bother playing it at all in the first two - reaped what we sowed.

Puja

It could have been so different...
Big D

Post by Big D »

morepork wrote:SA commentators cannot see past penalties as the way to score more points. Anti-rugby is endemic there it seems. The Lions so could have countered that negative game plan but unfortunately dull has a monopoly on tactics. Fucking Gatland.
That and dull decsions by players. Won't criticise captains for going to the corner but Williams should have given Adams a walk in and Curry's penalty both proved costly.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Did she really have to keep torturing AWJ like that?
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

Big D wrote:
morepork wrote:SA commentators cannot see past penalties as the way to score more points. Anti-rugby is endemic there it seems. The Lions so could have countered that negative game plan but unfortunately dull has a monopoly on tactics. Fucking Gatland.
That and dull decsions by players. Won't criticise captains for going to the corner but Williams should have given Adams a walk in and Curry's penalty both proved costly.
Curry was distinctly average in all three tests. Gatland persisted with a starting back row that was not getting the job done, ignoring players like Beirne and Hamish Watson.
The final game could have gone either way but the Boks nicked it.
The series could have won with better selection and more adventurous tactics.
Danno

Post by Danno »

Spiffy wrote: The series could have won with a coach that wasn'tGatlandbetter selection and more adventurous tactics.
Buggaluggs

Post by Buggaluggs »

Liam Williams was an improvement over Hogg. He did well under the high ball, and I'm a huge fan. But. Bok 15 passes to the best finisher in the southern H - 7 points. Lions 15 doesn't pass to the best finisher in the northern H - 0 points.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I can’t tell if that’s a joke or not.
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

For me,

Gatland wants players who follow his instructions, thats why the forwards kept their place and why the english players were wanted. They follow instructions better than anyone.

I think this is the end of Gatland, we saw a more adventurous 65 mins of rugby than we have in the last two tours when Russel came on, we also saw a 10 that motivated his forwards for the first 30 mins by showing them that it was possible to move the boks, and attack them.

Unfortunatly after Gatland got them for 10 mins they became fucking useless again.

I really hope Gatland doesnt offer to do another Lions series, I want to see Pivac, Toony, Lam, or the harlequins coach take the next tour.

Wyn Jones: was good until injured, Mako looked his age and was pretty poor at scrum time (I dont care about the lose) 7
Owens: 6
Furlong: 6 - Ok but nothing standout
Itoje: 7
AWJ: 6 - Questions have to be asked if we needed him for his leadership when it was clear FR was running the show , seemed to get pissy with the ref
Lawes: 5 - had a good spell when Russell was getting decent ball but then went back to shit
Curry: FUCKING IDIOT
Conan: 6 - Dont think he really deserved to go off as Lawes ws walking by that time

AP: Shame his last touch was a bouncing ball, great box kicks, kept the game going: 8
FR: (First half 9), (second half 7), without forwards you cant do shit, while Price trusted him to play , Murray looked like he was torn between two masters
DVDM: 7 - Decent moves
Aki: Fucked up LW first take, but wasnt the only one, Murray fucked up at least 2 and critical points : 7
Henshaw: 7, some nice runs but again when the forwards became the golden girls had little option but to constantly clean up shite
Adams: Tale of two halfs, First half looked awesome , second half, hardly saw the ball
LW: FUCKING IDIOT 2, although when Murray and Lawes went running blocking lines on his catching did well

Subs
Mako - poor in scrum, who knew that a poor 6N would show when faced with a pack that knew they had your number
CD: 7 - Looked good when he came on
Sinkler: What a winging git, lucky with one penalty and gave aaway a crucial one
Beard: Came on two late and was surrounded by the golden girls
Simmons: I thought he generally was pretty good when he came on, did his job and unfortunatly didnt have the platofrm to help him
Murray: What a waste of skin, ran blocking lines better than the boks, stared at the ball a couple of times, and didnt convice Raynal to look at the quick tap, was stuck between two minds of giving the ball to Russel who actually did stuff with it or to one of powederpuff girls not knowing what to do
Daly : Did he even get on, dont think he did

I generally think of we had went out with Smith and FR and went, the saffas beat England in the RWC and those boys are shell shocked from the 6n, and taken backs that can play and a game plan of moving the boks we would have won the series.
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

Buggaluggs wrote:Liam Williams was an improvement over Hogg. He did well under the high ball, and I'm a huge fan. But. Bok 15 passes to the best finisher in the southern H - 7 points. Lions 15 doesn't pass to the best finisher in the northern H - 0 points.
He got screwed over by Aki for his first mistake and then Murray fucked him over a couple of times, whats clear is Murray missed that entire section on , not fucking things up for your full back.

Hogg makes that pass 90/100 times
jngf

Post by jngf »

morepork wrote:

Lions played a lot better this match in large part down to Finn Russell - Gatland was too conservative with his starting selection in back 5 of pack in all 3 tests and their lack of carrying power - with Henderson, Watson, Beirne and Falatau available the buck has to stop with Gats

No. The backs were emasculated by selection and tactics in all 3 tests. The Boks will just eat forward carries all day long.
Thing is though if Lions locks and backrow we’re able to penetrate the gain line with their forward carries that would have really helped the cause - I’m adament that Watson and Falatau would have made a real impact if selected to start. Curry and Conan simply underpowered in this area.
morepork

Post by morepork »

jngf wrote:
morepork wrote:

Thing is though if Lions locks and backrow we’re able to penetrate the gain line with their forward carries that would have really helped the cause - I’m adament that Watson and Falatau would have made a real impact if selected to start. Curry and Conan simply underpowered in this area.
That is meat and drink to a Bok defence. Are you Warren Gatland?
Big D

Post by Big D »

Buggaluggs wrote:Liam Williams was an improvement over Hogg. He did well under the high ball, and I'm a huge fan. But. Bok 15 passes to the best finisher in the southern H - 7 points. Lions 15 doesn't pass to the best finisher in the northern H - 0 points.
I was all for dropping Hogg, but Williams wasn't good tonight either. Bar one eye catching take above his head Williams was pretty average with a match definig missed pass and a missed tackle for their try. They would drop any match rating pretty significantly.

For two high class full backs, they were miles from their best this tour.
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

jngf wrote: Curry and Conan simply underpowered in this area.
Cant blame Conan for being Conan, but you can blame Gatland for persisting with Curry, Lawes and Sinkler

Mako had credit in the bank but is now in debt
Itoje played well
AWJ looked a man semi retired, he may still hit rucks but if thats what you wanted , you needed a younger more physically capable player like Ryan or Gray

Ending up with 7 forwards from the team that finished 5th in the 6N is mental and when the journalists calm down a bit, realize they cant blame Toony for this mess they will turn on Gatland quite rightly for it