Lions squad named

Anything rugby not covered by the other forums.

Moderators: Puja, Misc Forum Mod

Mikey Brown

Re: Lions squad named

Post by Mikey Brown »

What’s Shannon Frizzel got to do with this?
Digby

Post by Digby »

Have you intentionally built a joke about domestic violence around a Tina Turner lyric?
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

You give me too much credit. That actually fits pretty well.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

I hate all the sectarian buggering about that the Lions brings. Now Rory Best is arguing that the lions should have had more Irish players. Seriously? With the exception of Henderson who was in the captains position I can’t think of another uninjured Irish player who should have been on the tour.

But of course everyone wants to push national agendas rather than just embrace the lions concept properly.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

At least they’re no longer whinging about BOD being dropped. :)
Puja

Post by Puja »

Sandydragon wrote:I hate all the sectarian buggering about that the Lions brings. Now Rory Best is arguing that the lions should have had more Irish players. Seriously? With the exception of Henderson who was in the captains position I can’t think of another uninjured Irish player who should have been on the tour.

But of course everyone wants to push national agendas rather than just embrace the lions concept properly.
Was Ringrose injured? I'd rather have had him than some of the other centres.

Puja
Backist Monk
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

Puja wrote:
Sandydragon wrote:I hate all the sectarian buggering about that the Lions brings. Now Rory Best is arguing that the lions should have had more Irish players. Seriously? With the exception of Henderson who was in the captains position I can’t think of another uninjured Irish player who should have been on the tour.

Was Ringrose injured? I'd rather have had him than some of the other centres.

Puja
I don't think he was injured, just not selected by Gatland. His form towards the end of the season was not that great and I was not surprised to see him left out.
The one Irish back I would have liked to see on tour was Earls. Well into his 30s but still fast, solid under the high ball,a clinical finisher and a clever footballer. His try against England in the 6N when he turned Jonny May inside out was a classic. A very good defender too. I'd have him ahead of DVDM any day.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Compare and contrast with NZ v Oz…..
Digby

Post by Digby »

Just yet again with a team that celebrates domestic violence
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I just went to look at what actually happened in the Reece case and stumbled on to the case of this guy, who I’d somehow never heard of. Am I the only one who missed this entirely?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bees_Roux

I mean just read that career section and see which bit jumps out at you.

Some would say this is off topic, but he’s South African so that’s something.
Digby

Post by Digby »

I'm stuck between saying that rings a bell, and that's South Africa who knows if that's the same killing with impunity
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Wow, kill a policeman, pay a (big) fine, walk free.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Son of Mathonwy wrote:Wow, kill a policeman, pay a (big) fine, walk free.
An Afrikaans man killing a black policeman in a fit of pique as well.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I’m certainly not taking this at face value given some of the wording, but it does sound like it was slightly more complicated.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailym ... white/amp/

A pretty messed up situation though, wherever it actually falls between the two accounts.
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

Finn Russell having a public pop at Gatland for his unimaginative tacics, which suited the Boks very nicely. I would say he is right. Meanwhile, everyone to do with the Lions setup seems to want Gatland back for the next tour. Don't understand it. He is never going to change his dull approach at this stage of his coaching career.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Spiffy wrote:Finn Russell having a public pop at Gatland for his unimaginative tacics, which suited the Boks very nicely. I would say he is right. Meanwhile, everyone to do with the Lions setup seems to want Gatland back for the next tour. Don't understand it. He is never going to change his dull approach at this stage of his coaching career.
Gods bless him. It won't accomplish anything (except guarantee he won't go in 4 years), but at least someone is publically speaking against yet more Gatland.

Puja
Backist Monk
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

Puja wrote:
Spiffy wrote:Finn Russell having a public pop at Gatland for his unimaginative tacics, which suited the Boks very nicely. I would say he is right. Meanwhile, everyone to do with the Lions setup seems to want Gatland back for the next tour. Don't understand it. He is never going to change his dull approach at this stage of his coaching career.
Gods bless him. It won't accomplish anything (except guarantee he won't go in 4 years), but at least someone is publically speaking against yet more Gatland.

Puja
I remember Sean OBrien having a bit of a pop in the last tour to NZ, claiming that Gatland flogged the hell out of the Lions in training the week before the final test so that they were quite knackered by match day. Of course SOB's international career was ending then and he didn't give a rat's. I agree with you that Russell just removed himself from the next tour if Gatland is in charge.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Spiffy wrote:
Puja wrote:

Puja
I remember Sean OBrien having a bit of a pop in the last tour to NZ, claiming that Gatland flogged the hell out of the Lions in training the week before the final test so that they were quite knackered by match day. Of course SOB's international career was ending then and he didn't give a rat's. I agree with you that Russell just removed himself from the next tour if Gatland is in charge.
He dropped a high ball so he was already out.
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

Brian Moore questioned gatlands appointment and doesn’t think it will happen. He reckons rugby will move on in 4 years and Gatland will be seen as dull in 3 years.
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

Also think, Finns comments been blown out of the water. He said he thought the lions should have been playing expansive attacking rugby.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

whatisthejava wrote:Gatland will be seen as dull in 3 years.
When was this article dated? 2006?