1872 Cup Champions

Moderator: OptimisticJock

General Zod

Re: 1872 Cup Champions

Post by General Zod »

Anyone watching the Connacht game? Edinburgh are a shambles.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Just watched the highlights. Shambles seems about right.

Only good thing was that Graham returned and seemed to get through the whole game.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

We are the most infuriating team to watch. Take the lead then feck up the restart. Steal a lineout then knockon when trying to run it out. There's a good team in there that cannot get out of its own way.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

They were a better shambles tonight than against Connacht, in that they were still in it till early in the 2nd half, but were still a complete clusterfuck of a shambles. As someone said on Twitter, all fart and no poo.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Thing is that game was very winnable. A few mistakes are expected, especially in conditions like that, but there were four big mistakes that cost us the game that were all utterly avoidable.

We might muller someone in the dry in the summer months, but seem utterly unable to adapt to the conditions. Which is really disappointing.
sharvey44

Post by sharvey44 »

To get charged down once is bad luck/poor decision making but to get charged down twice is just dumb.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

A very dull game. Largely because of the weather but, considering the players in their lineup, Edinburgh have no bite. They just seem to trundle about.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

sharvey44 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:14 am To get charged down once is bad luck/poor decision making but to get charged down twice is just dumb.
every Edin scrum half has been charged down this season. Can say its poor by them, but no ruck guard to protect the 9, and other teams will add an extra row to the ruck so that the charger has further to go. Can say the 9 should organise that (other teams 9 do) but this is how they train and are coached. Its poor, very poor. All season
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

switchskier wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:10 pm Thing is that game was very winnable. A few mistakes are expected, especially in conditions like that, but there were four big mistakes that cost us the game that were all utterly avoidable.

We might muller someone in the dry in the summer months, but seem utterly unable to adapt to the conditions. Which is really disappointing.
yep, weather poor but Edinburgh's handling unacceptably poor- and that is not just dropping the ball but some of Kinghorn's passing
As you say game was there to be won, Leicester weren't much/any better
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Scott Steele joining for next year to add to the collection of mediocre scrum-halves.

I actually really liked him when he broke through and think he'll do a decent job. But it doesn't look like it's going to happen with Shiel and we don't have that prospect to get excited about.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

switchskier wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:26 pm Scott Steele joining for next year to add to the collection of mediocre scrum-halves.
???
He has been signed to play flanker surely?
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

switchskier wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:26 pm Scott Steele joining for next year to add to the collection of mediocre scrum-halves.

I actually really liked him when he broke through and think he'll do a decent job. But it doesn't look like it's going to happen with Shiel and we don't have that prospect to get excited about.
when did Edin last produce a quality scum half? *
For a nation that prided itself on producing shed loads of them, Edinburgh Rugby's performance in this respect is unforgivably abominable

* the answer is Laidlaw 15 years ago, and many think he wasn't all that, what with no break to speak of and only able to lob passes off one hand
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

septic 9 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:05 am

For a nation that prided itself on producing shed loads of them, Edinburgh Rugby's performance in this respect is unforgivably abominable

* the answer is Laidlaw 15 years ago, and many think he wasn't all that, what with no break to speak of and only able to lob passes off one hand
Maybe slightly off topic but I enjoyed his chat with Jim Hamilton on his podcast recently. You get a real sense of why he was considered such a fantastic leader, even if he was pretty pedestrian in a lot of his play.

He did rank himself as Scotland third best scrumhalf however.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Mikey Brown wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:13 am

Maybe slightly off topic but I enjoyed his chat with Jim Hamilton on his podcast recently. You get a real sense of why he was considered such a fantastic leader, even if he was pretty pedestrian in a lot of his play.

of all time or contemporaries?

after whom?
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Ashman to Edinburgh confirmed.

Another season of SRU splashing the cash on side who don't develop players
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

septic 9 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:32 am

after whom?
Gary Armstrong and Roy Laidlaw I think.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Mikey Brown wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:28 pm

after whom?
modest as well. He wouldn't be in the top 3 in the current Glasgow squad, nor could he lace the boots of Blair or Cuisiter from the modern era, or many more before that. Had a lot of very good characteristics but about the worst pass of an international scrum half I can remember, barring Bergamasco
Big D

Post by Big D »

septic 9 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:34 am Ashman to Edinburgh confirmed.

Might be no net increase in wages there if the rumours that have been circulating for a while that McInally might retire/move on.
Big D

Post by Big D »

I agree, but also think in general Scotland haven't brought enough through to a consistently good level compared to years gone by. Of all the younger 9's that are still about in Scotland and developed here after Price; Horne whilst good, hasn't reached his potential IMO, Shiel's been wasted and Dobie is all potential.

Edinburgh are definitely more culpable, but since Blair, Cusiter and Lawson (who was hugely underrated) we have only ever had one quality 9 at a time since really. Although I was never a fan of Laidlaws play.
Last edited by Big D on Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big D

Post by Big D »

septic 9 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:02 pm

after whom?
modest as well. He wouldn't be in the top 3 in the current Glasgow squad, nor could he lace the boots of Blair or Cuisiter from the modern era, or many more before that. Had a lot of very good characteristics but about the worst pass of an international scrum half I can remember, barring Bergamasco
Laidlaw was fortunate that he came at a time where Hidalgo Clyne (what a waste) and Pyrgos were is main rivals for a starting jersey to let him get really established after Blair and Cusiter's powers started to weaken. I was looking back at world cup squads, the 2011 and 2007 squads wouldn't have used Laidlaw (CC, MB and RL all better) and even in 03 with Redpath and Blair I am not 100% sold Laidlaw would have went instead of Beveridge who was a nuggety little player who was pretty solid.

Laidlaw wouldn't even make this world cup squad if I were picking.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Skill wise I agree but he did have a bit of a brain on him. Later on that was just used to "control the game" which sometimes just meant slow it down but there was a spell where he had a real creative streak. He also had that streak of self belief that rubbed off on others.

His goal kicking was handy too.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

septic 9 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:34 am Ashman to Edinburgh confirmed.

While I'm delighted to get him, that's a move that will limit Harrison's development and I think he can be an international player. Nuts to havecour two best young prospects on the same side with Cherry and McBurney there too.

Glasgow on the other hand have Brown, Turner and Matthews, all of whom are over 30. Are there young bucks about to kick ok there? Fraser? Maybe Harrison will be shifted over.

I've said repeatedly that the squad building at Edinburgh is flawed. We put too many resources into certain positions and leave others weak, meaning that any 23 is fatally flawed. I'd love be to see us be smarter, rather than just trying to hoover up SQ talent.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Big D wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:00 pm

Laidlaw was fortunate that he came at a time where Hidalgo Clyne (what a waste) and Pyrgos were is main rivals for a starting jersey to let him get really established after Blair and Cusiter's powers started to weaken. I was looking back at world cup squads, the 2011 and 2007 squads wouldn't have used Laidlaw (CC, MB and RL all better) and even in 03 with Redpath and Blair I am not 100% sold Laidlaw would have went instead of Beveridge who was a nuggety little player who was pretty solid.

He'd make this Scotland squad for me, just as a different option. But then I'm biased towards the smart but not terribly physically gifted players and when he broke through he had that sevens streak of creativity that was really fun.

Always thought that he'd make a great coach.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Yeah, despite often being very critical of him as a player (where I think he often didn’t seem to suit the game we were trying to play, yet was a crucial leader) and the silly stuff about being Scotland’s third best ever, I think an option off the bench that can bring some control is very useful in one of the halfback positions. I was very impressed with his attitude in that discussion with Hamilton and it does sound like he’s looking to go in to coaching at some point.
Big D

Post by Big D »

switchskier wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:54 am
Big D wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:00 pm

He'd make this Scotland squad for me, just as a different option. But then I'm biased towards the smart but not terribly physically gifted players and when he broke through he had that sevens streak of creativity that was really fun.

Always thought that he'd make a great coach.
For me he wouldn't suit the way we are trying to play, especially against Ireland and SA. Bringing on a player with a slow pass and no break on him to speak of in the latter half of his international career would suit them fine.