1872 Cup Champions

Moderator: OptimisticJock

Big D

Re: 1872 Cup Champions

Post by Big D »

switchskier wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:51 am
septic 9 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:34 am Ashman to Edinburgh confirmed.

Another season of SRU splashing the cash on side who don't develop players
While I'm delighted to get him, that's a move that will limit Harrison's development and I think he can be an international player. Nuts to havecour two best young prospects on the same side with Cherry and McBurney there too.

Glasgow on the other hand have Brown, Turner and Matthews, all of whom are over 30. Are there young bucks about to kick ok there? Fraser? Maybe Harrison will be shifted over.

I've said repeatedly that the squad building at Edinburgh is flawed. We put too many resources into certain positions and leave others weak, meaning that any 23 is fatally flawed. I'd love be to see us be smarter, rather than just trying to hoover up SQ talent.
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, if Rambo is off and Ashman is replacing him then it is likely to be at worst cost neutral.

Both Scottish teams need three good options at hooker. Both Ashman and Harrison are still pretty young for hooker (23 and 21 at start of next season) it should be easily possible for them to earn gametime over the next few seasons.

Given it is a world cup year, Ashman will likely get a couple of weeks off after it and not be meeting up with the squad until mid-late October. Then will be part of the 6N squad. For comparison, McInally didn't play for Edinburgh until the last week in November in 2019 and only played 9 games all year. Fraser Brown played 11 games for Glasgow that season. Turner played 16 games but didn't play at all in the RWC and 6N.

McBurney has only been given a one year deal, likely to get through the RWC and Cherry is 33 by the end of next season.

Edinburgh deserve a fair bit of criticism over squad building (I was vocal in saying I'd keep Darge and let Watson go for example) but bringing in a young hooker full of potential with a future of Harrison and Ashman fighting over the 2 shirt isn't a bad move. Cherry is an excellent professional who does the basics right more often than not so he'd be a good person to train with too.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Big D wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:43 pm Might be no net increase in wages there if the rumours that have been circulating for a while that McInally might retire/move on.
true, but not cost neutral as we bought Ashman out of contract for 6 figure sum
Big D

Post by Big D »

septic 9 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:04 pm
Big D wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:43 pm Might be no net increase in wages there if the rumours that have been circulating for a while that McInally might retire/move on.
true, but not cost neutral as we bought Ashman out of contract for 6 figure sum
Fair point. Would be interested to know the wage difference as I'm nosey though.

Although it doesn't look like McInally is off, maybe waiting to get through the WC season.
Adder

Post by Adder »

Doesn't look like MacInally is off (yet)

Stolen from Reddit
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Blain is a shame. Thought that he looked really promising at times but never managed to get a run of games. Hoylands been one of those good club players that you worry that you'll regret letting go.

Quite a lot of back 3 cover going there. A bit surprised that Hutchinson is being let go too as thought he'd be cost effective cover.

https://edinburghrugby.org/the-clubhous ... 3-leavers/
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Big D wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:47 pm
septic 9 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:34 am Ashman to Edinburgh confirmed.

Another season of SRU splashing the cash on side who don't develop players
While I'm delighted to get him, that's a move that will limit Harrison's development and I think he can be an international player. Nuts to havecour two best young prospects on the same side with Cherry and McBurney there too.

Glasgow on the other hand have Brown, Turner and Matthews, all of whom are over 30. Are there young bucks about to kick ok there? Fraser? Maybe Harrison will be shifted over.

I've said repeatedly that the squad building at Edinburgh is flawed. We put too many resources into certain positions and leave others weak, meaning that any 23 is fatally flawed. I'd love be to see us be smarter, rather than just trying to hoover up SQ talent.
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, if Rambo is off and Ashman is replacing him then it is likely to be at worst cost neutral.

Both Scottish teams need three good options at hooker. Both Ashman and Harrison are still pretty young for hooker (23 and 21 at start of next season) it should be easily possible for them to earn gametime over the next few seasons.

Given it is a world cup year, Ashman will likely get a couple of weeks off after it and not be meeting up with the squad until mid-late October. Then will be part of the 6N squad. For comparison, McInally didn't play for Edinburgh until the last week in November in 2019 and only played 9 games all year. Fraser Brown played 11 games for Glasgow that season. Turner played 16 games but didn't play at all in the RWC and 6N.

McBurney has only been given a one year deal, likely to get through the RWC and Cherry is 33 by the end of next season.

Edinburgh deserve a fair bit of criticism over squad building (I was vocal in saying I'd keep Darge and let Watson go for example) but bringing in a young hooker full of potential with a future of Harrison and Ashman fighting over the 2 shirt isn't a bad move. Cherry is an excellent professional who does the basics right more often than not so he'd be a good person to train with too.
Not really my point. More that it McInally stays then you've got five starting calibre hookers, but you're not really got a good tighthead in the squad.

Another example would be letting Brown go from the academy. Is he as good a player currently as the starting bsvkrows? Of course not. Is the drop off so significant that you could spend the savings elsewhere more wisely? I'm doubtful. We don't get bang for our buck and fail to invest in premium positions.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

switchskier wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:34 pm

Not really my point. More that it McInally stays then you've got five starting calibre hookers, but you're not really got a good tighthead in the squad.

Another example would be letting Brown go from the academy. Is he as good a player currently as the starting bsvkrows? Of course not. Is the drop off so significant that you could spend the savings elsewhere more wisely? I'm doubtful. We don't get bang for our buck and fail to invest in premium positions.
100% agree. And repeating the same errors again. Not just in overloading some positions and ignoring others. Its fatal misjudgment of what is needed and/or to address the same. And Rudi Brown* is Darge deja vu in terms of judgement

* but I wouldn't worry about him, he'll get a deal, if he hasn't already. Suspect Edin offered him pennies to stay having over spent on others
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Yeah I’m a bit surprised at a few of those, or the quantity of them, but I guess it’s hard to judge until you see who might be coming in.

Hutchison and Hoyland, as above, did seem like good reliable club players who aren’t likely to threaten the national squads.
Big D

Post by Big D »

switchskier wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:34 pm
Big D wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:47 pm

I've long argued that last point, that's why in glad Haining is finally on his way out the door. Muncaster has proven more than good enough. Brown going is a bit of a surprise decision by the club (or Brown).

My only issue with the Ashman signing is paying a transfer fee (as Septic pointed out) for a player who may only be available for 8-10 games next season.

Over the coming years the SRU/Edinburgh/Glasgow are going to have to balance spending money on the premium positions or making sure there are Scots filling them to ensure a pipeline for the national team. At the moment all the starting premium positions (by pay) for Edinburgh are filled with SQ players except for Mata and he must have a year left after this one.

With potentially 5 props going (if Nel retires) and only 2 coming in there might be more movement there.
Last edited by Big D on Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Adder wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:36 pm Doesn't look like MacInally is off (yet)

Stolen from Reddit
Funny list that. Some stalwarts, some who looked to be up and coming and cheap options to at least provide cover, and some who made surprisingly little impact.

Haining and Auterac would fit into that final category though in very different ways.

Definitely some there I would like to see pick up a contract elsewhere - Blain being top of the list
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

The seemingly immortal and unbreakable WP Nel has been signed for another year.
Big D

Post by Big D »

McInally retiring in November to become a pilot. Which is a long held ambition of his.

A very good career from starting at 8 and becoming a top class hooker.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Yep. Class. Shame to see him go, and to not be the injury-free 100 cap international he could have been.

I assume leaving in November is to do with his next job? Seems odd timing with players potentially missing through the world cup.
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

Mikey Brown wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:15 pm Yep. Class. Shame to see him go, and to not be the injury-free 100 cap international he could have been.

I assume leaving in November is to do with his next job? Seems odd timing with players potentially missing through the world cup.
He’ll probably have been contracted to the end of the World Cup. Good player and good luck to him.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

General Zod wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:48 pm
Mikey Brown wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:15 pm Yep. Class. Shame to see him go, and to not be the injury-free 100 cap international he could have been.

He’ll probably have been contracted to the end of the World Cup. Good player and good luck to him.
I don't know what I was saying in that previous post. Both reading and writing the words November but thinking October.

Yes, it makes perfect sense to have him around with a depleted squad until Ashman (and possibly Cherry) are back.
Big D

Post by Big D »

I suspect he has been asked to be available for the world cup either as 3rd hooker (outside bet at this stage but with injuries it could happen) or potential injury replacement. Would be silly of the SRU not to cover all bases and have a seasoned international who seems to be fit retire and be unavailable for the RWC.

In his video it seemed to suggest he has playednhisnlast game at the DAM.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Big D wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:29 pm

I suspect he has been asked to be available for the world cup either as 3rd hooker (outside bet at this stage but with injuries it could happen) or potential injury replacement. Would be silly of the SRU not to cover all bases and have a seasoned international who seems to be fit retire and be unavailable for the RWC.

In his video it seemed to suggest he has playednhisnlast game at the DAM.
I'll always remember him running it in from halfway in that Calcutta Cup game but for me the standout memory is actually in an U20 game against England. It was one of those man against boys games where the English were just bigger and faster but McInally, playing 8 and as captain, didn't take a step back and kept hitting soft shoulders off the base of the scrum. He really looked like a leader and a future Scotland captain.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

That's a shame. I know the rumours were about but I hoped for a late career bloom from him. At his best possibly our most complete hooker but it all came to a bit of an abrupt halt after the last World Cup.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Possibly our best every convert from one position to another. To move from number 8 to hooker at 23 and reach a point of captaining his country 5 years later is very good going.

Getting out at 33, with health intact and able to follow his dream career is a great position to be in.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Mikey Brown wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:13 am
septic 9 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:05 am
switchskier wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:26 pm Scott Steele joining for next year to add to the collection of mediocre scrum-halves.

I actually really liked him when he broke through and think he'll do a decent job. But it doesn't look like it's going to happen with Shiel and we don't have that prospect to get excited about.
when did Edin last produce a quality scum half? *
For a nation that prided itself on producing shed loads of them, Edinburgh Rugby's performance in this respect is unforgivably abominable

* the answer is Laidlaw 15 years ago, and many think he wasn't all that, what with no break to speak of and only able to lob passes off one hand
Maybe slightly off topic but I enjoyed his chat with Jim Hamilton on his podcast recently. You get a real sense of why he was considered such a fantastic leader, even if he was pretty pedestrian in a lot of his play.

He did rank himself as Scotland third best scrumhalf however.
Feel like we should correct this. Just listened to it and he said 3rd bed Jed Forest 9 behind his uncle and Armstrong.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Anyone watching the A team play Southern Knights? 5 tries already showing what a big gap there is to the pro game.

Bit weird to see players who are moving on selected. Brown is standing out already, though notable that McConnell is captain. Front row most obvious area of domination, predictably.

15. Nathan Sweeney

14. Finn Douglas
13. Matt Currie
12. Cammy Scott (VC)
11. Jack Blain

10. Bruce Houston
9. Cam Jones (Heriot’s Rugby)

1. Murray McCallum
2. Patrick Harrison
3. Angus Williams
4. Jamie Campbell
5. Michael Badenhorst (Musselburgh RFC)
6. Liam McConnell (C)
7. Jerry Blyth-Lafferty (Boroughmuir Bears)
8. Rudi Brown

Replacements

16. Mikey Jones
17. Dan Gamble
18. Tom Smith (Stirling County Wolves)
19. Dalton Redpath (Hawick RFC)
20. Charlie Shiel
21. Charlie Savala
22. Ethan Reilly (Hawick RFC)
23. Lewis Wells (Edinburgh Academicals)
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

Cammy Hutchison confirmed as moving to Newcastle next season. Decent move for him, if he can get a few games. I don’t know anything about Newcastle’s strength at centre or how likely he is to get game time.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

BaldiePete wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:46 pm Cammy Hutchison confirmed as moving to Newcastle next season. Decent move for him, if he can get a few games. I don’t know anything about Newcastle’s strength at centre or how likely he is to get game time.
not sure about next season but this season Falcons have 2 good Argi centres in Orlando and Moroni.

Its good Hutchison has got a gig, but Newcastle are really shit, look like getting worse and its tempting to say no move to Newcastle is a good move
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Mike Blair is formally offski. Moving to Japan to be assistant to Rennie at Kobe. I wish him all the best although I wouldn't wish Rennie in anyone
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

septic 9 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:08 pm Mike Blair is formally offski. Moving to Japan to be assistant to Rennie at Kobe. I wish him all the best although I wouldn't wish Rennie in anyone
Something particular? I know he had his issues but many thought highly of him.

Good on Blair for deciding he was out of his depth and should challenge himself elsewhere. Surely he could learn a lot from Rennie and a very different environment.