gaza conflict

Son of Mathonwy

Re: gaza conflict

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Donny osmond wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 5:48 am
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:56 pm
Sandydragon wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:34 pm

Which is also conjecture but he had the opportunity to help deliver a softer Brexit prior to the Boris landslide, and he was also conspicuously absent from the Brexit debate during the referendum, so given the shit show that leaving has become, that undermines the credibility of his judgement.
Sure, this is conjectural, but we know it was Labour's policy to have a 2nd referendum, so had he won that was very likely to have happened. Not totally sure he had an opportunity to bring about a softer Brexit with May - she was dead set on a hard Brexit, that was what stopped those discussions getting anywhere in mid-2019. Of course Corbyn's absence from the referendum debate wasn't great but the judgement of everyone who has run the country since 2019 has even less credibility, for the same reason.
There is not 1 person alive who's judgement has less credibility than Corbyn. May was not dead set on a hard Brexit at all, she wanted a 2nd referendum before any withdrawal agreement was enacted; it was the hard Brexiteers in the Tory party who did for her.

This level of revisionism really needs to stop.
Hyperbole perhaps? :D Unless you mean Piers Corbyn?

To be clear, obviously May was a remainer. Given a free choice she would not have had Brexit at all. But in 2019 (of course, because of pressure within the party) she was set on a hard Brexit.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:29 am
Donny osmond wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 5:48 am
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:56 pm
Sure, this is conjectural, but we know it was Labour's policy to have a 2nd referendum, so had he won that was very likely to have happened. Not totally sure he had an opportunity to bring about a softer Brexit with May - she was dead set on a hard Brexit, that was what stopped those discussions getting anywhere in mid-2019. Of course Corbyn's absence from the referendum debate wasn't great but the judgement of everyone who has run the country since 2019 has even less credibility, for the same reason.
There is not 1 person alive who's judgement has less credibility than Corbyn. May was not dead set on a hard Brexit at all, she wanted a 2nd referendum before any withdrawal agreement was enacted; it was the hard Brexiteers in the Tory party who did for her.

This level of revisionism really needs to stop.
Hyperbole perhaps? :D Unless you mean Piers Corbyn?

To be clear, obviously May was a remainer. Given a free choice she would not have had Brexit at all. But in 2019 (of course, because of pressure within the party) she was set on a hard Brexit.
:D perhaps ;) I mean, talking of shit judgement, I've been watching the SNP talk up John Swinney as an effective politician all week, and if that isn't a triumph of hope over experience I don't know what is.

May was only "set on hard Brexit" as a tool to try and control the Tory party, hahahaha, not for its own sake.
Son of Mathonwy

This isn't the most serious point but I was surprised to see Israel get the highest audience/televote score in Eurovision (much higher than its vote from the juries). I thought they'd get some flack from Gaza, but no, if anything the opposite (although maybe it was a well orchestrated vote from Israel fans). Ukraine got a pretty high sympathy vote. UK got nothing from the audience vote.
Zhivago

Post by Zhivago »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 10:33 am This isn't the most serious point but I was surprised to see Israel get the highest audience/televote score in Eurovision (much higher than its vote from the juries). I thought they'd get some flack from Gaza, but no, if anything the opposite (although maybe it was a well orchestrated vote from Israel fans). Ukraine got a pretty high sympathy vote. UK got nothing from the audience vote.
It was rigged - at least in the sense that one person can vote multiple times, and they have a very large diaspora.

Все буде Україна!
Смерть ворогам!!

Son of Mathonwy

Zhivago wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 7:37 pm
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 10:33 am This isn't the most serious point but I was surprised to see Israel get the highest audience/televote score in Eurovision (much higher than its vote from the juries). I thought they'd get some flack from Gaza, but no, if anything the opposite (although maybe it was a well orchestrated vote from Israel fans). Ukraine got a pretty high sympathy vote. UK got nothing from the audience vote.
It was rigged - at least in the sense that one person can vote multiple times, and they have a very large diaspora.
Yeah, a sufficiently motivated group can dominate it.
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:48 am
Zhivago wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 7:37 pm
Yeah, a sufficiently motivated group can dominate it.
Lot of islamophobia coalesced into 1 country's vote
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Or alternatively people liked the song and had some sympathy with the singer who was getting constant crap from other performers all week. None of the fighting is her fault.

Since many Jews aren’t necessarily Zionist outside of Israel is there any reason to suggest that they would have automatically voted for Israel?

And frankly our entry deserves nil points.
Son of Mathonwy

Sandydragon wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:09 pm And frankly our entry deserves nil points.
The general standard was low but ours was particularly bad.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Eurovision. It has come to this.

(sarc BTW. I love shitty pop music)
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Sandydragon wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:09 pm Or alternatively people liked the song and had some sympathy with the singer who was getting constant crap from other performers all week. None of the fighting is her fault.

Since many Jews aren’t necessarily Zionist outside of Israel is there any reason to suggest that they would have automatically voted for Israel?

Plenty to say the Israeli entourage were the agitators - unless we were there we Don't really know

Not her fault but she has said she can't wait to go home and participate in the ethnic cleansing........
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

morepork wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:32 am Eurovision. It has come to this.

(sarc BTW. I love shitty pop music)
aren't even in Europe, let's have a Palestinian entry next year and a Palestinian state while we're at it
Zhivago

Post by Zhivago »

Sandydragon wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:09 pm Or alternatively people liked the song and had some sympathy with the singer who was getting constant crap from other performers all week. None of the fighting is her fault.

The truth is that there was obviously an organized, dedicated effort by Israel supporters to give their votes to Golan in the face of intense threats and hatred, and it clearly drew votes from many who don’t otherwise tune into the Eurovision each year.
https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-ge ... the-world/

Все буде Україна!
Смерть ворогам!!

Son of Mathonwy

Marching for Gaza, and Jezza Corbyn of course. :D