Olympics

Digby

Re: Olympics

Post by Digby »

Which Tyler wrote:
Digby wrote:Trying to paint it as all one way
If that's what I was doing, then it'd be a fair point.
As I explicitly didn't though...
You set out two positions, one grouping as receiving utmost support, the other receiving accusations of disbelief and cowardice. I took that to be explicit, for which my apologies
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

If I was interested in Olympic Golf, it would be a cracker tomorrow :lol:
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Banquo wrote:
Digby wrote:
Galfon wrote:Asher-Smith off the pace in the sprint - out the final. Doesn't look 100%.
Artingstall giving it a go in the boxing semi.
u/d: 3:2 split decision to home fighter ..bronze it is.
Tough one
Dina just didn't look to have any power. Start was good, she was controlled, but just slow (for her). Doesn't bode well for the 200m either if the power just isn't there, and it didn't look like she made a mistake in transition
yep. Probably missed too much training cos of her hammy.
and she's pulled out of the Olympics with a bad hamstring. She did it really badly before and was lucky to be fit to run. Great interview afterwards.

Terrific final- she likely wouldn't have medalled even at her best.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Banquo wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Digby wrote:
Dina just didn't look to have any power. Start was good, she was controlled, but just slow (for her). Doesn't bode well for the 200m either if the power just isn't there, and it didn't look like she made a mistake in transition
yep. Probably missed too much training cos of her hammy.
and she's pulled out of the Olympics with a bad hamstring. She did it really badly before and was lucky to be fit to run.
I suppose she got a chance to be there and to partake, so it's not the worst outcome anyone will have at the games , but to have worked that hard to be that good it's a cruel thing. She's young enough to go again with 3 years until the next meet, not what she'll want to hear right now perhaps
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Digby wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Banquo wrote: yep. Probably missed too much training cos of her hammy.
and she's pulled out of the Olympics with a bad hamstring. She did it really badly before and was lucky to be fit to run.
I suppose she got a chance to be there and to partake, so it's not the worst outcome anyone will have at the games , but to have worked that hard to be that good it's a cruel thing. She's young enough to go again with 3 years until the next meet, not what she'll want to hear right now perhaps
Her interview was terrific- she's brilliant.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

BMX was fun, and the swimmers have been excellent. Golfin' not gone well, but boxin' good. Cyclin' will be interesting, and there will be a couple of medals in the sailin'.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Banquo wrote:BMX was fun, and the swimmers have been excellent. Golfin' not gone well, but boxin' good. Cyclin' will be interesting, and there will be a couple of medals in the sailin'.
Very ‘ood :)
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Marginally behind Ro & London now after d.8.
also Team Oz having an excellent Games and winning this year's 'Ashes' race after 3 Games behind GB.
2000 - Sydney: Oz 4th, GB 10th
2004 - Athens: Oz 4th, GB 10th
2008 - Beijing: Oz 6th GB 4th
2012 - London: Oz 8th, GB 3rd
2016 - Rio: Oz 10th, GB 2nd
2020 - Tokyo (so far): Oz 5th, GB 6th

(31 meds. each but Oz 14 G vs GB 9.)
Impressive effort by both teams tbf, still plenty to go for :)
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Galfon wrote:Marginally behind Ro & London now after d.8.
also Team Oz having an excellent Games and winning this year's 'Ashes' race after 3 Games behind GB.
2000 - Sydney: Oz 4th, GB 10th
2004 - Athens: Oz 4th, GB 10th
2008 - Beijing: Oz 6th GB 4th
2012 - London: Oz 8th, GB 3rd
2016 - Rio: Oz 10th, GB 2nd
2020 - Tokyo (so far): Oz 5th, GB 6th

(31 meds. each but Oz 14 G vs GB 9.)
Impressive effort by both teams tbf, still plenty to go for :)
Down to the rowers by and large. I do think the covid factor is at work here. We have good chances in ridin', boxing, sailing....and the cycling will be interesting, not sure how relatively strong our squad is. You'd also have to look at 2008-16 to be golden periods for cycling, rowing and above our norm in athletics; the swimmers have been great, as well as the BMX-ers.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Brilliant gold from Whitlock!!! so pleased
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

My niece is currently playing Water Polo v Australia, having been (unfairly) ineligible for the first couple of games.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

what is it with our 100m guys? Three false starts, including a DQ in the final and semi. Over the years, their discipline has been a tad iffy!
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Outside the brits, phenomenal day in field athletics.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Banquo wrote:Outside the brits, phenomenal day in field athletics.
Phenomenal is one way of saying it. According to the bbc at least, our new 100m champ hadn’t broken the 10sec mark until 2 months ago and has just won in 9.80? Is that correct?
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Donny osmond wrote:
Banquo wrote:Outside the brits, phenomenal day in field athletics.
Phenomenal is one way of saying it. According to the bbc at least, our new 100m champ hadn’t broken the 10sec mark until 2 months ago and has just won in 9.80? Is that correct?
I was specific about it being field, not track. The high jump and womens triple jump were fantastic (that said, maybe they are classified as track events? :))

I agree with your inference, and it was made worse with Hughes' dq.
Puja

Post by Puja »

The double gold in the high jump was incredible. Firstly the skill for both of them to have got that far and outlasted the normal tie-breaks, and then the way the decision went down. The ref discussing the various options that they could take, the Qatari athlete hesitantly asking, "Can there be two golds?" and the look they both gave each other when the ref said it was possible if they both agreed before the Italian guy went absolutely wild with celebration. Just heartwarming - makes me smile every time I watch it.

I think the best part is the ref trying to explain that, yes there can be two gold but only if they both agree and they can also carry on with the jump-off if they want wait where are you going you haven't heard all of the options yet don't you want to hear about your options of risking losing rather than both getting a gold?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/58048827

Puja
Backist Monk
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Puja wrote:The double gold in the high jump was incredible. Firstly the skill for both of them to have got that far and outlasted the normal tie-breaks, and then the way the decision went down. The ref discussing the various options that they could take, the Qatari athlete hesitantly asking, "Can there be two golds?" and the look they both gave each other when the ref said it was possible if they both agreed before the Italian guy went absolutely wild with celebration. Just heartwarming - makes me smile every time I watch it.

I think the best part is the ref trying to explain that, yes there can be two gold but only if they both agree and they can also carry on with the jump-off if they want wait where are you going you haven't heard all of the options yet don't you want to hear about your options of risking losing rather than both getting a gold?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/58048827

Puja
It was good to see the Italian bloke without his half a beard.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Weightlifting silver, who woulda thought it. Great to win medals where we arent fancied or dont have much of a history of doing well.
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Puja wrote:The double gold in the high jump was incredible. ..
Best friends apparently
'he (Barshim)and Tamberi had remarkably discussed the prospect of being able to share a gold medal previously..' (goalzz)

"Actually, we talked about it years ago, but we just said, 'Oh imagine...,' and today, actually it happened. It is a great feeling, you can't be more happy than that."

No wonder they were over the moon. :)
Must be quite a rare scenario - only p/vault & l/jump have this due to the count-back thingy.
Not sure what would happen if 2 throwers dropped their projectile on the exact same furthest distance..
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Looks like the Velodrome is going to produce some pdq times - and the spoils likely to be shared around a bit more.
GB team pursuiters already outshone by Ger Fraulein (wr) & Dan
men (or).
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

German girls smashing the team pursuit, pretty awesome to watch

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

AHH balls ignore that post I'm deleting it, Holland deserved winners in the men's race
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Galfon wrote:Looks like the Velodrome is going to produce some pdq times - and the spoils likely to be shared around a bit more.
GB team pursuiters already outshone by Ger Fraulein (wr) & Dan
men (or).
Marginal gains coaches gone?
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Banquo wrote: Marginal gains coaches gone?
Mister 1% was gone before Rio I think but there have been other sprint and endurance departures in the last year or so.
Maybe just diminishing returns and others catching up.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

What follows is a rant... Apologies.

Ben Whittaker can fuck right off.

I am very very done with British, and unfortunately it has to be said English, athletes performing amazingly to win silver medals or come second on a world stage and take the huff with not winning.

English rugby team did it in RWC and refused to wear their medals, English football team did it in Euros and now Whittaker "I don't want to come over as spoiled" and giving it the big "I'm a failure".

Fuck all the way off. What a horrible, pathetic, spineless, narrow and more than anything else, anti-inspirational way to behave. There's kids watching that wondering if they could make to an Olympics or a cup final and being encouraged to think if they don't win it's not worth while.

Don't want to come over as spoiled? That's literally all you are being, you pathetic little cunt.

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk