Olympics

Banquo

Re: Olympics

Post by Banquo »

Brilliant boxing gold.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Bronze for Daley who eventually was outclassed by the Chinese divers, although he was in gold medal position half way thru.

I think Carlin is lucky to still be in the cycling but he seems to be.

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Banquo wrote:Brilliant boxing gold.
Another lovely story - Yafai working shifts in early 20's, persuaded to take up boxing by brothers 6 ys ago, who have a PS5 ready for him when he gets back!..5 great showings and a level headed guy.
Banquo

Re: RE: Re: Olympics

Post by Banquo »

Donny osmond wrote:
Which Tyler wrote:That was heart breaking for Schleu in the modern pent show jumping - never had her composure, never earned the horse' trust, and TBH, pushed the horse further than she should have done
I couldn't watch, that was horrible. They say horses are sensitive to the riders.

Gold for Britain tho! Brilliant running and shooting at the end from French, left the others miles behind.

German pentathlon coach ‘sent off’ from games for hitting the horse.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Donny osmond wrote:Bronze for Daley who eventually was outclassed by the Chinese divers, although he was in gold medal position half way thru.

I think Carlin is lucky to still be in the cycling but he seems to be.

Yep- they were much better than his best, but think he will be delighted
Big D

Post by Big D »

Can see why Wiggins and Cavendish were an excellent madison rider with all the little sprints and endurance efforts.

Great silver by the British teams. Cavs lead out man does it for the Danes.
Which Tyler

Re: RE: Re: Olympics

Post by Which Tyler »

Banquo wrote:German pentathlon coach ‘sent off’ from games for hitting the horse.
Good, IMO Schleu should have gone as well.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/ ... ika-schleu
German modern pentathlon coach thrown out of Olympics for punching horse

A German modern pentathlon coach has been thrown out of the Tokyo Olympics for punching a horse during competition.

Kim Raisner was trying to assist German athlete Annika Schleu as she battled to control Saint Boy ahead of her show jumping round in the women’s event on Friday. Athletes are given only 20 minutes to bond with an unfamiliar horse before their round and Schleu, who had been leading the field, was in tears as she came into the ring.

Saint Boy, who had already proven a tricky ride for his first athlete, bucked and refused to trot around the course, with a number of people on social media raising concerns about the way Schleu and Raisner were treating the horse.

ARTICLE CONTINUES...
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Wow - more success with Choong in mod. pent.
Another product of Bath.
Some sports have gone superb in these Games.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Nicely done by Kerr.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Jason Kenny take a freakin bow. Again. I honestly didn't see that coming, but what a way to do it, took everyone by surprise from 3 laps out and they just didn't respond anywhere near quick enough.

Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Donny osmond wrote:Jason Kenny take a freakin bow. Again. I honestly didn't see that coming, but what a way to do it, took everyone by surprise from 3 laps out and they just didn't respond anywhere near quick enough.

Brilliant. Great games for us and all round.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Fabulous from GB. The Kenny and Price golds this morning were the icing on the cake.
Digby

Post by Digby »

The Kenny win is going to irk the rest of that field for a long time. I was reminded of Warner taking on Ali with the assumption he can just do as he wants because there's no threat, when okay yes you probably are better, but you still need more respect than that
Big D

Post by Big D »

I know we have said that team GB have had a golden generation in cycling but when you consider this about the Kennys:
According to data company Nielsen Gracenote, between them the married couple have won a third of all the gold medals claimed by Great Britain in the history of Olympic track cycling.
Then throw in Hoys 7 medals in total and Wiggins 7 total on the track we really have seen some remarkable cyclists over the last 5 Olympics (and teams they've been part of). It is impossible to keep churning out all time track great cycling Olympians. There will be a regression at some point.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Banquo wrote:
Donny osmond wrote:Jason Kenny take a freakin bow. Again. I honestly didn't see that coming, but what a way to do it, took everyone by surprise from 3 laps out and they just didn't respond anywhere near quick enough.

Remarkable when we only won one rowing medal.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Big D wrote:
Banquo wrote:

Remarkable when we only won one rowing medal.
Two, but yes.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Medals won in 18 different sports. Apparently no other country can match that. The rowing team disappointed but others took a big step up (swimming and boxing) and we got medals in some unexpected quarters. The weightlifting silver was a delight and the 1500 athletics bronze came out of the blue.
A games to remember.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

I found these tables/graphics quite interesting:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Intriguing. Could be argued that Sailing is much better value for money than Athletics is - the former requires a good chunk of that budget on non-optional equipment that the sport just can't be done without, whereas most athletics could be done in a field if needs must. Athletics therefore has a lot more budget to spend on improving performance rather than "the literal minimum requirements to be able to play".

Cycling, boxing, and swimming our best performers yet again.

Puja
Backist Monk
Big D

Post by Big D »

Puja wrote:Intriguing. Could be argued that Sailing is much better value for money than Athletics is - the former requires a good chunk of that budget on non-optional equipment that the sport just can't be done without, whereas most athletics could be done in a field if needs must. Athletics therefore has a lot more budget to spend on improving performance rather than "the literal minimum requirements to be able to play".

Cycling, boxing, and swimming our best performers yet again.

Puja
I know the funding is mostly determined on Olympic performance but would love to see a full breakdown of what those with funding have won over the 4 years too. For example, Laura Kenny has been funded for 3 Olympic cycles and 23 senior gold medals, Jade Jones won nothing this time but is a multiple time winner of significant competitions. Where as a Lawrence Okoye for example (not sure he got funded to be fair) has won naff all.
Big D

Post by Big D »

It always annoys me more when relay runners get done for drugs as the let their team mates down. If B samples etc confirm guilt, Ujah has fucked right up and hopefully they throw the book at him.
Tobylerone

Post by Tobylerone »

Big D wrote:It always annoys me more when relay runners get done for drugs as the let their team mates down. If B samples etc confirm guilt, Ujah has fucked right up and hopefully they throw the book at him.
It seems a little strange that he`d managed to get to an Olympic final without being tested by somebody..
Do GB athletics just take their word for it ?
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Tobylerone wrote:
Big D wrote:It always annoys me more when relay runners get done for drugs as the let their team mates down. If B samples etc confirm guilt, Ujah has fucked right up and hopefully they throw the book at him.
It seems a little strange that he`d managed to get to an Olympic final without being tested by somebody..
I read an article a few weeks back that testing has gone to s**t during the pandemic, for various reasons. The U.K. is pretty vigorous in comparison to the rest of the world but the Olympic testing regime is a massive step up, even in normal times.
The article said that the past 12 - 18 months has been a drug cheats paradise. It also used the Italian men’s 100m champ as an example of the differing levels of testing, in that his times were so ‘slow’ 12 months ago he wouldn’t have been on any international list, World Athletics, IOC etc, for drug tests.
Not sure where the British moron falls in all of the above but I imagine he’ll need all muscle building drugs he can get his hands on if he runs into his relay teammates any time soon.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Mellsblue wrote:
Tobylerone wrote:
I read an article a few weeks back that testing has gone to s**t during the pandemic, for various reasons. The U.K. is pretty vigorous in comparison to the rest of the world but the Olympic testing regime is a massive step up, even in normal times.
The article said that the past 12 - 18 months has been a drug cheats paradise. It also used the Italian men’s 100m champ as an example of the differing levels of testing, in that his times were so ‘slow’ 12 months ago he wouldn’t have been on any international list, World Athletics, IOC etc, for drug tests.
Not sure where the British moron falls in all of the above but I imagine he’ll need all muscle building drugs he can get his hands on if he runs into his relay teammates any time soon.
There is a touch of Floyd Landis stage 17 of the 2006 TdF about the Italian chap. "Ooft that was good, hang on... a bit too good". He has ties to a dodgy fella too IIRC.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Mellsblue wrote: It also used the Italian men’s 100m champ as an example of the differing levels of testing, in that his times were so ‘slow’ 12 months ago he wouldn’t have been on any international list, World Athletics, IOC etc, for drug tests.
I see he's been nice and classy about it as well: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/ ... e-me-smile
Italy’s 100m champion Jacobs says Ujah’s positive test ‘made me smile’
Having said that, of course, given the speculation about him - then IF he is clean, I can allow him a touch of schadenfreude