Olympic sevens?

Anything rugby not covered by the other forums.

Moderators: Puja, Misc Forum Mod

Mr Mwenda

Olympic sevens?

Post by Mr Mwenda »

Anyone been watching? Swedish telly is preferring other sports so I've missed it all beyond noting that GB had had a good start.
Big D

Re: Olympic sevens?

Post by Big D »

Mr Mwenda wrote:Anyone been watching? Swedish telly is preferring other sports so I've missed it all beyond noting that GB had had a good start.
QFs are on now.

Fiji seem the team to beat from the limited bits I have seen.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Hell of a comeback from GB against the USA. 21 points down at half-time and recovered to 26-21 win.

Puja
Backist Monk
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Argentina beat SA after a first half red card too!

Fiji looking v good - mainly in defence weirdly but did for GB all round in the group stages.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Fiji were poor yesterday, but hot today; and you feel they've got at least one more gear to go.
GB looked a bit of a mess yesterday (a promising mess, but a mess nonetheless), but good enough to get it done. Embarassed by Fiji this morning; and just beaten up against USA in the first half at lunchtime - but pulled it through really well in the second half.

Pretty much the only other match I've watched (and not far off the only other match the BBC have bothered with) NZ looked imperious against... Canada.

Based on what I've seen, and that Argentina got past RSA despite an early red; it looks like the right 4 teams into the semi.s

Fiji should be just too much for a tired Argentina.
GB vs NZ may depend on which GB shows up, if we're hurting and coherent we could very well do it; but I'd expect NZ to have too much for us - although that's based more on their reputation than the 1 match i've been able to watch them
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

This tournament's especially interesting because these teams haven't really played each other for a long time and many of them have barely played at all.

Defences in sevens just seem to improve and improve the though!
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Managed to catch a few games this morning. GB pulled it out of the bag, aided by some 'interesting' refereeing at time I felt. Argentina vs South Africa was a cracking game. Im not sure how the Argentinians won, but great to watch. Fiji against Australia was a bit one sided and methodical; it doesn't feel like the great Fijian sides of old, but I agree they have a gear or 2 to use yet.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Sandydragon wrote:Managed to catch a few games this morning. GB pulled it out of the bag, aided by some 'interesting' refereeing at time I felt. Argentina vs South Africa was a cracking game. Im not sure how the Argentinians won, but great to watch. Fiji against Australia was a bit one sided and methodical; it doesn't feel like the great Fijian sides of old, but I agree they have a gear or 2 to use yet.
Yeah, that penalty that won the ball back for us at the death was ropey as hell. No way Glover was supporting his bodyweight anyway, but he also didn't appear to actually have too much of a go at the ball either.

Puja
Backist Monk
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

NZ beat GB in one semi fairly convincingly. Was very impressive. GB's one try suggested they might have enough pace to trouble NZ but for the other 12 mins NZ didn't give them a sniff, passed the ball side to side, had a dart out wide when it was on and had absolutely no trouble recycling the ball, then scored whenever they needed to. I think they realised the GB side would struggle to turnover much ball while NZ (like Fiji) are lethal.

I think Fiji beat Argentina in the other semi but missed it.

Sevens is a lot better with fans but I think is a worthy Olympic sport. May not be the most global of them all but gives is a strength to some nations who aren't Olympic powerhouses otherwise (although I reckon with some cash, Fiji could take its pick of what sports it wanted to be competitive in!).
Zhivago

Post by Zhivago »

Mr Mwenda wrote:Anyone been watching? Swedish telly is preferring other sports so I've missed it all beyond noting that GB had had a good start.
Hard to care - no welsh players in the team

Все буде Україна!
Смерть ворогам!!

Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Zhivago wrote:
Yeah, I have been struggling to accept this as 'my' team without at least one Rhys, Gareth, Ioan or Alun in the line up.
Mr Mwenda

Post by Mr Mwenda »

Son of Mathonwy wrote:
Zhivago wrote:
Yeah, I have been struggling to accept this as 'my' team without at least one Rhys, Gareth, Ioan or Alun in the line up.
Out of interest, do you approach the other Olympic sports like this? I seldom have much idea where in the UK the team GB athletes are from to be honest.
Donny osmond

Re: RE: Re: Olympic sevens?

Post by Donny osmond »

Mr Mwenda wrote:
Son of Mathonwy wrote:
Zhivago wrote:
Out of interest, do you approach the other Olympic sports like this? I seldom have much idea where in the UK the team GB athletes are from to be honest.
Me either. And I genuinely don't care where they're from either.

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Donny osmond wrote:
Mr Mwenda wrote:
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Yeah, I have been struggling to accept this as 'my' team without at least one Rhys, Gareth, Ioan or Alun in the line up.

Yep.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Donny osmond wrote:
Mr Mwenda wrote:
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Yeah, I have been struggling to accept this as 'my' team without at least one Rhys, Gareth, Ioan or Alun in the line up.

Ditto, even if a disproportionate number of them do seem to come from Manchester.

Puja
Backist Monk
Big D

Post by Big D »

Son of Mathonwy wrote:
Zhivago wrote:
There was a Davies.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Welsh girl just scored a cracker against NZ for the women's team. We're 21-12 up at half time!!!

Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Donny osmond wrote:Welsh girl just scored a cracker against NZ for the women's team. We're 21-12 up at half time!!!

amazing having scraped thru v ROC
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Banquo wrote:
Donny osmond wrote:Welsh girl just scored a cracker against NZ for the women's team. We're 21-12 up at half time!!!

amazing having scraped thru v ROC
Mmmmm there's only one team in it 2nd half. We're still ahead but I'm doubtful.

Puja

Post by Puja »

Horrible error from Joyce. We had New Zealand caught behind the gainline and pinned back, only for her to tackle Woodman high and give away the penalty and yellow card.

And New Zealand have just scored to win it.

Puja
Backist Monk
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

That is a tough tough loss.

Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Puja wrote:Horrible error from Joyce. We had New Zealand caught behind the gainline and pinned back, only for her to tackle Woodman high and give away the penalty and yellow card.

And New Zealand have just scored to win it.

Puja
doh. That's a good chance blown. Hope they beat Kenya!
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Unfortunate the GB player got carded, that cost us.
Digby

Post by Digby »

With better funding the women wouldn't have come under such pressure from the actually professional outfit in the 2nd half (and that's what rowing is now up against, sports that can show they can medal with better funding)