Olympic sevens?

Anything rugby not covered by the other forums.

Moderators: Puja, Misc Forum Mod

Banquo

Re: Olympic sevens?

Post by Banquo »

Digby wrote:With better funding the women wouldn't have come under such pressure from the actually professional outfit in the 2nd half (and that's what rowing is now up against, sports that can show they can medal with better funding)
who funds the GB Rugby Teams out of interest?
Mellsblue

Re: RE: Re: Olympic sevens?

Post by Mellsblue »

Puja wrote:
Donny osmond wrote:
Mr Mwenda wrote:
Out of interest, do you approach the other Olympic sports like this? I seldom have much idea where in the UK the team GB athletes are from to be honest.
Me either. And I genuinely don't care where they're from either.

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk
Ditto, even if a disproportionate number of them do seem to come from Manchester.

Puja
Same here. You’ll not be welcome in Yorkshire with your comment about Manchester. The carrier pigeons are bringing round the medal table showing Yorkshire’s position even earlier than usual this year. Last one I saw, ‘Gods Own County’ was sat 8th.
Puja

Re: RE: Re: Olympic sevens?

Post by Puja »

Mellsblue wrote:
Puja wrote:
Donny osmond wrote:Me either. And I genuinely don't care where they're from either.

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk
Ditto, even if a disproportionate number of them do seem to come from Manchester.

Puja
Same here. You’ll not be welcome in Yorkshire with your comment about Manchester. The carrier pigeons are bringing round the medal table showing Yorkshire’s position even earlier than usual this year. Last one I saw, ‘Gods Own County’ was sat 8th.
Eh. It's all north of the wall to me.

Puja
Backist Monk
Digby

Post by Digby »

Banquo wrote:
Digby wrote:With better funding the women wouldn't have come under such pressure from the actually professional outfit in the 2nd half (and that's what rowing is now up against, sports that can show they can medal with better funding)
There's some sort of rescue package in place between the lottery and the WRU, SRU and RFU I think. But it's limited, both amount per athlete, the number of athletes and the support of coaches/physios around them. In essence it's not a full professional setup
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Digby wrote:
Banquo wrote:
There's some sort of rescue package in place between the lottery and the WRU, SRU and RFU I think. But it's limited, both amount per athlete, the number of athletes and the support of coaches/physios around them. In essence it's not a full professional setup
but do they get BOA funding too? And where would the revenue come from to fund a full professional setup?
Last edited by Banquo on Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Banquo wrote:
Nobody, basically. The RFU, WRU, and SRU withdrew all their funding over the pandemic and only cobbled together a minimal package alongside the National Lottery to get them through to this Olympics. No-one really knows what's happening going forwards.

Puja
Backist Monk
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Puja wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Nobody, basically. The RFU, WRU, and SRU withdrew all their funding over the pandemic and only cobbled together a minimal package alongside the National Lottery to get them through to this Olympics. No-one really knows what's happening going forwards.

Puja
ah ok, but presumably the BOA lobbed something in?
Puja

Post by Puja »

Banquo wrote:
Puja wrote:
Banquo wrote: who funds the GB Rugby Teams out of interest?

Puja
ah ok, but presumably the BOA lobbed something in?
One would assume so, but you never hear them credited when people talk about the rescue package. It's entirely possible that the BOA took the attitude that there was already a governing body (3 in fact), so it was none of their business.

Puja
Backist Monk
Digby

Post by Digby »

Banquo wrote:
Digby wrote:
Banquo wrote: who funds the GB Rugby Teams out of interest?
but do they get BOC funding too? And where would the revenue come from to fund a full professional setup?
There used to be much more funding from the unions, certainly the RFU. I don't know about the WRU and SRU finances, but I'd guess they've not historically invested beyond what the RFU have done, and the RFU certainly took the hammer to their 7s programme citing the impact of Covid to RFU finances.

And the programme we had prior to Covid didn't have us as an elite nation in 7s, more one of the could do well teams, we might beat a NZ or Fiji on a given day, but odds were we're not going to beat more than one of them on the way to a 1st place, and we might lose to Argentina, Kenya, Oz, USA, Samoa, SA, Canada just as easily as we might sneak a win over Fiji or NZ

Where the money could come from is commercial partners, the lottery/UK Sport and the unions most likely. Right now they're scraping by on a minimum number of contracts that aren't exactly worth a fortune and don't get enough players into a full professional environment. I don't know where they stand on BOC funding, but given they used to get more union funding and I doubt the BOC had piles of cash not allocated such they'd have been able to backfill

That might be all there is and we're going to lapse somewhat in funding and performance.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Mr Mwenda wrote:
Son of Mathonwy wrote:
Zhivago wrote:
Hard to care - no welsh players in the team
Yeah, I have been struggling to accept this as 'my' team without at least one Rhys, Gareth, Ioan or Alun in the line up.
Out of interest, do you approach the other Olympic sports like this? I seldom have much idea where in the UK the team GB athletes are from to be honest.
No I don't, because it's very rare to see competition between parts of the UK in the other events (only once every 4 years in the Commonwealth Games), so I think of athletes as British, not English, Scottish or whatever. (Actually that's not entirely true since we are regularly reminded that Laura Muir is Scottish ... however this does not happen for the English athletes. Outside of the Commonwealth Games it's very rare to hear of an English athlete being referred to as English rather than British. And since they all wave the Union Jack rather than St George's Cross, I see them as my own. Which they are.)

If British athletics was split along home nations lines I'd probably have stopped watching 20 years ago.

For rugby sevens, I'm so used to these guys being the enemy that without one or two Welsh teammates, I just can't get behind them. Compare this with the Lions, ok there's only AWJ and Biggar in this XV but the Welsh are obviously involved. That's good enough for me (even if it is obvious insanity to exclude Adams ... but that's for another thread ;) ).
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Son of Mathonwy wrote:
Mr Mwenda wrote:
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Yeah, I have been struggling to accept this as 'my' team without at least one Rhys, Gareth, Ioan or Alun in the line up.
No I don't, because it's very rare to see competition between parts of the UK in the other events (only once every 4 years in the Commonwealth Games), so I think of athletes as British, not English, Scottish or whatever. (Actually that's not entirely true since we are regularly reminded that Laura Muir is Scottish ... however this does not happen for the English athletes. Outside of the Commonwealth Games it's very rare to hear of an English athlete being referred to as English rather than British. And since they all wave the Union Jack rather than St George's Cross, I see them as my own. Which they are.)

If British athletics was split along home nations lines I'd probably have stopped watching 20 years ago.

For rugby sevens, I'm so used to these guys being the enemy that without one or two Welsh teammates, I just can't get behind them. Compare this with the Lions, ok there's only AWJ and Biggar in this XV but the Welsh are obviously involved. That's good enough for me (even if it is obvious insanity to exclude Adams ... but that's for another thread ;) ).
Yeah, I think I'm similar.

Although more generally I wouldn't say I'm "a Team GB fan". I often want them to do well but sometimes I prefer other athletes/teams (anyone who just bombs it out front in the long distance events with no regard for the security me half of the race in particular).

Which British ones I like most probably correlates with them being Scottish but I like to think I would always have been more of a Chris Hoy fan than a Bradley Wiggins fan.

As for the sevens, I'd be fully behind a Scottish team but with a GB team I'm not as invested in them and was very happy to see Fiji win it (incidentally, I'm in NZ now and a lot of people here were pretty happy with silver so long as Fiji won it).
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

GB women's team through to the last 4 and Jasmin Joyce is apparently as slippery as an eel in olive oil. Hopefully they can go one step further and get a medal.
Mr Mwenda

Post by Mr Mwenda »

Sandydragon wrote:GB women's team through to the last 4 and Jasmin Joyce is apparently as slippery as an eel in olive oil. Hopefully they can go one step further and get a medal.
Get in!
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Sandydragon wrote:as slippery as an eel in olive oil.
Love this!
Digby

Post by Digby »

Clear sexploitation, as was playing the Missy Elliot song Get Your Freak on during the game. I for one am outraged and can only hope this is the right place to vent.

More importantly that was a quality performance from the women's team, on attack and defence
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

For anyone with a spare hour or so, I would recommend catching up on the semis and final. Fiji NZ in particular was a great game.