United Rugby Championship

Moderator: Sandydragon

Sourdust

Re: United Rugby Championship

Post by Sourdust »

Sandydragon wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:31 pm
Both teams looked undercooked
As so often, the highlights make it look like a decent game but there were long periods of tedium.

That said, there WAS some good stuff from Os that wasn't always apparent from the stands. Enough to give me hope that we won't be utterly shamed next weekend...
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Sourdust wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:08 pm
Sandydragon wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:31 pm
Both teams looked undercooked
As so often, the highlights make it look like a decent game but there were long periods of tedium.

That said, there WAS some good stuff from Os that wasn't always apparent from the stands. Enough to give me hope that we won't be utterly shamed next weekend...
We've got to hope that Tompkins's lot don't play as well as they just did against Harlequins. Looking forward to Lake's first start in a while though.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

pompey-zebra wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:40 pm Good win for the Scarlets, Sharks very powerful but Scarlets took their chances well. Jonny Williams was named player of the match which bodes well if he can stay injury free.
MacLeod was excellent in this game, Costelow was also good and the centres are forming a nice partnership.
Son of Mathonwy

Numbers wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:04 am
pompey-zebra wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:40 pm Good win for the Scarlets, Sharks very powerful but Scarlets took their chances well. Jonny Williams was named player of the match which bodes well if he can stay injury free.
MacLeod was excellent in this game, Costelow was also good and the centres are forming a nice partnership.
Johnny Williams is putting himself ahead of the rest of the Welsh 12s. And Roberts isn't looking too shabby.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:55 pm
Johnny Williams is putting himself ahead of the rest of the Welsh 12s. And Roberts isn't looking too shabby.
If he keeps on like he is then it will be impossible to ignore him for the RWC squad.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:55 pm
Aye, a very good performance playing against Lukanyo Am, who imo is one of the best about.
Wallpaperman

Post by Wallpaperman »

Blimey. Flicking between Ospreys and Cardiff - in the race for the much vaunted Welsh shield, no less - and they are as shite as each other. Having their respective arses handed to them by the might of Edinburgh and Connacht.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Bit of an ugly weekend. Scarlets narrowly lost, but the other three were well beaten. I watched the Dragons game last night and couldn’t face watching tonight’s matches. How many seasons of this shyte will we have to endure before we achieve something better?
Son of Mathonwy

Looks like the Welsh Shield will be won* next week by the shite team that is less shite than the other shite teams.

We'd better enjoy it too coz I don't see any Welsh team qualifying for the Champions Cup for the foreseeable.

* perhaps 'not lost' would be more appropriate.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:31 am Looks like the Welsh Shield will be won* next week by the shite team that is less shite than the other shite teams.

We'd better enjoy it too coz I don't see any Welsh team qualifying for the Champions Cup for the foreseeable.

* perhaps 'not lost' would be more appropriate.
How many supporters will lose interest during the forthcoming fallow* period?

* Fallow would imply that the preceding period was good but all things are relative.
UKHamlet
Site Admin

Post by UKHamlet »

Still, on the plus side, the Ospreys took one right up the jacksy today.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

UKHamlet wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:45 pm Still, on the plus side, the Ospreys took one right up the jacksy today.
As did the Scarlets. West is not best today.
Son of Mathonwy

Well done Cardiff for being less shit than the rest. Make the most of our last Champions Cup slot.

Well done the Dragons too, that was entertaining.
UKHamlet
Site Admin

Post by UKHamlet »

As someone commented, in light of the depopulation of the first team rolls, be careful what you qualify for.
Son of Mathonwy

Hey, the World Cup may be over for us but the URC is just about to start. :)

I am looking forward to this but I'd better keep my expectations set to realism not optimism, especially in the first few weeks with our best uninjured players preparing for the Barbarians.

I liked Gatland's comments about getting better links between the national team and the regions. Hope something comes of it.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:00 pm Hey, the World Cup may be over for us but the URC is just about to start. :)

I am looking forward to this but I'd better keep my expectations set to realism not optimism, especially in the first few weeks with our best uninjured players preparing for the Barbarians.

I liked Gatland's comments about getting better links between the national team and the regions. Hope something comes of it.
Me too. The shock of the past season must promote cooperation. If it doesn’t, nothing will.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

And according to the Fail, there are high level talks surrounding the possibility of a GB league. With three English clubs gone, suddenly the English are keen to explore this.

If it comes off I think it would be ideal for us. Good competition maintained with regular clashes against English clubs which so many want.
Son of Mathonwy

Sandydragon wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:21 am And according to the Fail, there are high level talks surrounding the possibility of a GB league. With three English clubs gone, suddenly the English are keen to explore this.

If it comes off I think it would be ideal for us. Good competition maintained with regular clashes against English clubs which so many want.
I've replied in the 'It seems obvious to me...' thread.
Son of Mathonwy

I've only just managed to watch the Dragons/Edinburgh match. Much like Cardiff/Benetton the welsh team started strongly but faded to narrow defeat at the end. The Dragons made plenty of chances in the second half but were increasingly ineffective at converting anything into points, losing an eminently winnable match, the sort of match they have to win if they're to avoid the bottom of the table.
Son of Mathonwy

On a positive note, three of our teams are ahead of Leinster in the table. Truly a new dawn in Welsh rugby.
Son of Mathonwy

The Ospreys struggled to beat Zebre. Wow. They let in 5 tries, I think? The last one being surely the most pathetic defensive effort I've seen for a while . . . I guess their excuse was that they had an 8 point lead, why continue to play? That's what it looked like anyway. I'm not looking forward to playing better teams than Zebre :| .

Scarlets outclassed again. A different league.

And Cardiff stumbled to a win over the Dragons.

Not a while lot of great rugby on show. But the Ospreys and Cardiff are still ahead of Leinster. There's that.
Son of Mathonwy

Okay, I know I saw the Scarlets lose that one but they can't have. No one could lose a game from that position, right? Jesus. Some great play though, despite the horrific end. Lloyd was excellent, real virtuoso stuff, ball in hand. Looking a bit too talented now, Gatland is traditionally a little suspicious of that. Steff was pretty great too, until . . . you know. Elias was great. Plumtree not perfect but on balance very effective.
Sourdust

Post by Sourdust »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:00 pm Okay, I know I saw the Scarlets lose that one but they can't have. No one could lose a game from that position, right? Jesus. Some great play though, despite the horrific end. Lloyd was excellent, real virtuoso stuff, ball in hand. Looking a bit too talented now, Gatland is traditionally a little suspicious of that. Steff was pretty great too, until . . . you know. Elias was great. Plumtree not perfect but on balance very effective.
Yeah that pretty footwork and running threat from Lloyd is going to wind Gatland up something proper. :-)

I turned up at "Swansea.com" like a child for a dental appointment and had another couple of molars roughly extracted. Fuck me but we must be running out of ways to lose a game. Bossed a strong Glasgow side pretty much around the park, but then somehow forgot that driving mauls were a thing. FOUR of them. Warriors had literally nothing else, and it didn't matter.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

I tuned into the dragons game and really wish I hadn’t bothered. Leinster weren’t even that good but comfortably ran in 5 tries. Fecking dire with ball on hand and in defence. And on paper that was a strong dragons team.

Basham’s red card was utterly pathetic and he needs to learn from that and quickly.
monkey

Post by monkey »

Sandydragon wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:26 pmBasham’s red card was utterly pathetic and he needs to learn from that and quickly.
It really was incredibly stupid.