United Rugby Championship

Moderator: Sandydragon

Son of Mathonwy

Re: United Rugby Championship

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Sourdust wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:03 am The way Cardiff are playing you'd have to fancy them against us, but there are a few levellers. Firstly as you say, our defence is decent; although only when we commit to a defensive game. If we "join in" with the champagne stuff, we'll get diced. Also, the game is at the Brewery Field, where there's at least a chance of some kind of home-biased atmosphere. A lot depends on whether Cardiff can keep this form up. The performance that put 50 on the Dragons still puts 30 on us, I reckon. But with the space they leave, we'd get a few back. It might come down to kicks! :-)
Heh, Cardiff had no answer to our mudmaul! Extreme (and old-school) conditions but that was a perfectly legitimate kind of rugby - the only real problem was when the cameras went down. The Ospreys' forwards and set piece won the day even if, paradoxically, half of our tries came from a little winger.

Weirdly there's now no URC till the middle of February :(
Son of Mathonwy

Sandydragon wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:12 pm How the hell did Llanelli lose that? But frankly don’t care, we managed to hold on for the win.
The closest of matches but the Scarlets couldn't take the points they needed. Well done Newport. Tough for either team to lose another match now but it's nice to see the Dragons put together enough of a performance to clinch that.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:36 am
Sandydragon wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:12 pm How the hell did Llanelli lose that? But frankly don’t care, we managed to hold on for the win.
The closest of matches but the Scarlets couldn't take the points they needed. Well done Newport. Tough for either team to lose another match now but it's nice to see the Dragons put together enough of a performance to clinch that.
I think we showed greater composure at the end and after the abysmal 1st half performance against Cardiff, it was a huge improvement, albeit against a team that's also struggling. It was also terrible weather which helped us more than the Scarlets I think.
newgalesurf

Post by newgalesurf »

I was impressed with the response from Dai F. to begin with. No excuses, was embarassed and dropped players after the Cardiff debacle. Not a classic performance, but the performance was what was needed (in atrocious conditions by the look of it)
Sourdust

Post by Sourdust »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:12 am
Sourdust wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:03 am The way Cardiff are playing you'd have to fancy them against us, but there are a few levellers. Firstly as you say, our defence is decent; although only when we commit to a defensive game. If we "join in" with the champagne stuff, we'll get diced. Also, the game is at the Brewery Field, where there's at least a chance of some kind of home-biased atmosphere. A lot depends on whether Cardiff can keep this form up. The performance that put 50 on the Dragons still puts 30 on us, I reckon. But with the space they leave, we'd get a few back. It might come down to kicks! :-)
Heh, Cardiff had no answer to our mudmaul! Extreme (and old-school) conditions but that was a perfectly legitimate kind of rugby - the only real problem was when the cameras went down. The Ospreys' forwards and set piece won the day even if, paradoxically, half of our tries came from a little winger.

If anything the TV pictures made the conditions look better than they were!

I'm doing that thing again where I'm delighted with the win, but the Wales fan in me is annoyed at the opposition. How on Earth did Cardiff blow that, when their dominance in the first half was so total? I turned to my friend at half-time and said, "I can't see a way back, can you?" and just got a glum face in response.

Os are going to keep digging themselves new holes until they sort out aerial defence. Whatever Jack Walsh's positive qualities (did superbly for the 1st try, e.g.) he's now a flashing beacon of vulnerability under the bomb. With Nagy missing, we don't seem to have anyone who can reliably deal with this.

Two excellent finishes from Giles, great to see in any game but fantastic in such a mudbath. I've a feeling the Morse try will be shown a few more times, leading to inevitable disappointment when he fails to win the 6N single-handed.
Son of Mathonwy

Sourdust wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:31 pm
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:12 am

If anything the TV pictures made the conditions look better than they were!

I'm doing that thing again where I'm delighted with the win, but the Wales fan in me is annoyed at the opposition. How on Earth did Cardiff blow that, when their dominance in the first half was so total? I turned to my friend at half-time and said, "I can't see a way back, can you?" and just got a glum face in response.

Os are going to keep digging themselves new holes until they sort out aerial defence. Whatever Jack Walsh's positive qualities (did superbly for the 1st try, e.g.) he's now a flashing beacon of vulnerability under the bomb. With Nagy missing, we don't seem to have anyone who can reliably deal with this.

Two excellent finishes from Giles, great to see in any game but fantastic in such a mudbath. I've a feeling the Morse try will be shown a few more times, leading to inevitable disappointment when he fails to win the 6N single-handed.
I was expecting the 6N to come down to a showdown between our young hero, Morse, and Jedi-turned-to-the-dark-side Feyi-Waboso. But you may be right. :|

I guess we should remember that Keddie looked like a sure-fire Wales back row star when he was in the U20s.
Son of Mathonwy

Scarlets beaten at home like Zebre used to be. Nowhere near good enough. Their new South African signing must be wondering what he's done. Hopefully Wales will do a bit better next week - our defence can't be that bad.
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Lilo threw that game away, connacht were terrible and the numbers made the difference
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Meanwhile Dragons are looking down the barrel of a hiding in Glasgow.
Son of Mathonwy

Ospreys buck the trend by not only being competitive, having a competent forwards game, but actually clinching a win against an Irish team. Dear god that ref was fussy but we got through it with 80 minutes of forwards effort, one interception try from Walsh, Protheroe, Edwards and K Williams, and a beauty of a last minute drop goal from Edwards. It would have been just like us to let them have a penalty in the 81st minute but no, somehow we hung on. :D
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:51 am Ospreys buck the trend by not only being competitive, having a competent forwards game, but actually clinching a win against an Irish team. Dear god that ref was fussy but we got through it with 80 minutes of forwards effort, one interception try from Walsh, Protheroe, Edwards and K Williams, and a beauty of a last minute drop goal from Edwards. It would have been just like us to let them have a penalty in the 81st minute but no, somehow we hung on. :D
That was an important win. It still shows that one of our teams can compete. I just have this feeling that we need to move to an East/West model very soon, even if that means 2 sacrificial lamb development teams to maintain our contract for 4 teams in URC etc, otherwise we will get too used to these hidings that the other teams suffer.

It can't be Ospreys and Cardiff, or any other individual regional side, it must be a proper East West split rotating between grounds.
Son of Mathonwy

Sandydragon wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:56 am
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:51 am Ospreys buck the trend by not only being competitive, having a competent forwards game, but actually clinching a win against an Irish team. Dear god that ref was fussy but we got through it with 80 minutes of forwards effort, one interception try from Walsh, Protheroe, Edwards and K Williams, and a beauty of a last minute drop goal from Edwards. It would have been just like us to let them have a penalty in the 81st minute but no, somehow we hung on. :D
That was an important win. It still shows that one of our teams can compete. I just have this feeling that we need to move to an East/West model very soon, even if that means 2 sacrificial lamb development teams to maintain our contract for 4 teams in URC etc, otherwise we will get too used to these hidings that the other teams suffer.

It can't be Ospreys and Cardiff, or any other individual regional side, it must be a proper East West split rotating between grounds.
I totally agree that 2 properly funded and 2 development teams is about what we could realistically could support at this low point. for Welsh rugby. But as for the details, I doubt there is a good answer. I can see that raising The Ospreys and Cardiff would piss off the other half of the fans but I'm not sure that trying to create 2 brand new super-regions would be any better. Would anyone support them (and obviously no one would support the dev teams)?

I tend towards the idea of 4 regions (2 + 2 model) with no name links to pre-region clubs, but plenty of symbolic links (something like how the Ospreys retained Swansea and Neath colours), so that any club supporter from the region could point to some colour/image and say that's my team. But I honestly don't know what the right answer is or if there is a right answer.

Unfortunately, given the current structure, with 0% ownership of the regions by the WRU, I can't see how such a change will come about, other than very slowly and painfully, via bankruptcy of the clubs. Certainly, to date, the WRU has not been interested in this (or indeed in any long term strategy).
Son of Mathonwy

Jesus that was a painful watch. Ospreys needed that win. A massive setback for their end of season hopes.
Graigwen

Post by Graigwen »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:20 pm Jesus that was a painful watch. Ospreys needed that win. A massive setback for their end of season hopes.
It was winnable. They need to learn to catch the ball (yes, I noticed the rain) and in front of not behind their players.

I don't see Botha as an international standard prop.

It was good to see Giles playing hard. Rudolf looked determined.
Son of Mathonwy

Graigwen wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:14 am
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:20 pm Jesus that was a painful watch. Ospreys needed that win. A massive setback for their end of season hopes.
It was winnable. They need to learn to catch the ball (yes, I noticed the rain) and in front of not behind their players.

Quite a few of those players Gatland ignores had a good game, particularly Giles, who was excellent. Morgan Morris and Keiran Williams too (fantastic try-saving tackle to hold up the ball).

The new SA players were very useful, and Deaves consistently made ground. But the first half discipline was the killer.
Graigwen

Post by Graigwen »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:29 am Quite a few of those players Gatland ignores had a good game, particularly Giles, who was excellent. Morgan Morris and Keiran Williams too (fantastic try-saving tackle to hold up the ball).

The new SA players were very useful, and Deaves consistently made ground. But the first half discipline was the killer.
It was indeed fantastic that the ball was held up, it looked impossible.

Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:29 am
Graigwen wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:14 am

Quite a few of those players Gatland ignores had a good game, particularly Giles, who was excellent. Morgan Morris and Keiran Williams too (fantastic try-saving tackle to hold up the ball).

I thought Deaves was looking very good before his injury, I think he could have made the Wales squad but may now have been usurped by Mann and of course Tshiunza is due back at some point.
normanski

Post by normanski »

I see from WoL that Wasps are hinting they’d like to join the URC. Interesting thought.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

normanski wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:07 am I see from WoL that Wasps are hinting they’d like to join the URC. Interesting thought.
Will have the same problem as every time the idea is mooted for any English club (approximately once a year for the last 20-odd years) - if they want to be based in England, they come under RFU umbrella - and would need RFU permission, which is a complete non-starter.

I'm amazed that this still has to be pointed out.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Which Tyler wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:17 am
normanski wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:07 am I see from WoL that Wasps are hinting they’d like to join the URC. Interesting thought.
Will have the same problem as every time the idea is mooted for any English club (approximately once a year for the last 20-odd years) - if they want to be based in England, they come under RFU umbrella - and would need RFU permission, which is a complete non-starter.

This is the welsh message board so not everyone will be au fait with the vagaries of the English game..
normanski

Post by normanski »

Numbers wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:00 pm
Which Tyler wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:17 am

This is the welsh message board so not everyone will be au fait with the vagaries of the English game..
Do they still play rugby in England? Just asking!
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Numbers wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:00 pmThis is the welsh message board so not everyone will be au fait with the vagaries of the English game..
And yet, exactly the same conversations happened with LWelsh, and with LIrish and LScottish joining the URC (by whatever name it had at the times).
Oh, and it's a "vagary" of World Rugby - and the same for any club in any nation. Hardly an nicety of the English set-up.

The conversation has happened on the RR WMB many, many times.

Finally, or course, WoL is supposed to be a journalistic source - capable of (and responsible for) fact-checking, which would have taken approximately 10 seconds, by asking anyone with any actual knowledge of Rugby Union.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Which Tyler wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:50 pm
Numbers wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:00 pmThis is the welsh message board so not everyone will be au fait with the vagaries of the English game..
And yet, exactly the same conversations happened with LWelsh, and with LIrish and LScottish joining the URC (by whatever name it had at the times).
Oh, and it's a "vagary" of World Rugby - and the same for any club in any nation. Hardly an nicety of the English set-up.

Finally, or course, WoL is supposed to be a journalistic source - capable of (and responsible for) fact-checking, which would have taken approximately 10 seconds, by asking anyone with any actual knowledge of Rugby Union.

Are you actually having a laugh?
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

I did say "supposed to be" :)
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Which Tyler wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:50 pm

So the SA teams play in the URC don't they so the SARU presumably allows it so not sure how that translates as being the same for all countries. Of course the difference being that they had nowhere else to go realistically with no domestic league and after leaving the SH competition. So I would suggest it would be fair to say that non-english B&I fans wouldn't really have been paying any attention to these stories as it only really effects teams which have a domestic league which at the moment is England and France neither of whom are likely to permit it.

Of course the whole article is just page filler which is what the Fail excels at and it's a complete non-story, it's not as if the league isn't already over subscribed. Your assertion that any sort of fact checking has taken place before they publish an article is a nice thought but lets face it 90% of the stories on there are non-starters and just there for clickbait, the standard of journalism is woeful.