If Russia invades Ukraine (more)...

Puja

Re: If Russia invades Ukraine (more)...

Post by Puja »

Zhivago wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:05 pm
Sandydragon wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:33 pm
Putin pretends to let bygones be bygones and things carry on as normal. In 6 months Prigozin has an unforeseen tragic accident.
Putin didn't even wait 6 months. Just two. To the day.
Ooft. That's on the nose.

Puja
Backist Monk
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Puja wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:27 pm
Sandydragon wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:33 pm
Putin pretends to let bygones be bygones and things carry on as normal. In 6 months Prigozin has an unforeseen tragic accident.

Puja
The way that plane hit the ground, quite literally.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Sandydragon wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:54 am

Puja
Pretty chilling shots of that. Had to be a bomb on board, surely? Russians calling it an emergency landing stretches credibility a smidget.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Banquo wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:58 pm

Puja
Pretty chilling shots of that. Had to be a bomb on board, surely? Russians calling it an emergency landing stretches credibility a smidget.
An emergency landing suggests the aircrew trying to land it. That plane just fell out of the sky. Either a bomb or a missile.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Sandydragon wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:15 pm

An emergency landing suggests the aircrew trying to land it. That plane just fell out of the sky. Either a bomb or a missile.
well yes, hence saying the Russians were talking shyte
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Banquo wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:20 pm

well yes, hence saying the Russians were talking shyte
Next you’ll be telling me jngf wants Lawes in the row.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Pretty sickening that a whole planeful could be killed to assassinate one man.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:49 pm

Couple of years ago Russia shot down a commercial jet killing nearly 400, you think they give a shit about collateral damage?
Son of Mathonwy

Donny osmond wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:08 am

Couple of years ago Russia shot down a commercial jet killing nearly 400, you think they give a shit about collateral damage?
Nah, I know they don't give a shit about it, I just thought it was worth raising the point. News coverage was all about one (evil) man dying (probably), not the others, most of whom were probably not deserving of such a fate.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:50 pm
Nah, I know they don't give a shit about it, I just thought it was worth raising the point. News coverage was all about one (evil) man dying (probably), not the others, most of whom were probably not deserving of such a fate.
I suspect several of them the world won’t miss at all. But I’m sure some of the crew were just normal human beings who aren’t neo Nazi thugs
Son of Mathonwy

On reflection though, Putin's not in our class. George and Tony killed a shit lot more to get Saddam. Like 100,000x more.
Son of Mathonwy

Sandydragon wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:45 am
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:50 pm

I suspect several of them the world won’t miss at all. But I’m sure some of the crew were just normal human beings who aren’t neo Nazi thugs
Yeah, checked Wikipedia. 3 crew, 7 passengers.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Someone has an excellent sense of humour
Zhivago

Post by Zhivago »

More delights of Moscovite 'culture' I discovered recently:
"боятся - значит уважают" - they fear you it means they respect you
"бьёт - значит любит" - he beats you it means he loves you

I am reminded also of that French saying... "Grattez le russe et vous verrez un tartare" (scratch a Russian and you get a Tartar).

Все буде Україна!
Смерть ворогам!!

Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Imagine being this much of a ****:

‘The British army has cut by a third the training of Ukrainian troops at a military base in Kent after residents complained about the noise of explosions and gunshots.‘
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Mellsblue wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:28 am Imagine being this much of a ****:

‘The British army has cut by a third the training of Ukrainian troops at a military base in Kent after residents complained about the noise of explosions and gunshots.‘
Surely just shift the training to Wales or Scotland?
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Donny osmond wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:17 pm

Surely just shift the training to Wales or Scotland?
I presume they have moved elsewhere.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

The number of complaints military training causes is just bonkers. Some locals kick off about anything.
Zhivago

Post by Zhivago »

Все буде Україна!
Смерть ворогам!!

Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

I feel that our resident soldiers will enjoy this article

https://mwi.westpoint.edu/its-time-to-u ... ssistance/

Basically suggesting that the US's approach to training in Ukraine is woefully underserving to really help the Ukrainians, trying to teach them to fight in the American way when the American way depends on having air superiority, among other factors.

It points out that British trainers are very much preferred because they listen to Ukrainian soldiers, take the actual conditions they're fighting under into account, and adjust their training accordingly.
Son of Mathonwy

Which Tyler wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:24 am I feel that our resident soldiers will enjoy this article

Basically suggesting that the US's approach to training in Ukraine is woefully underserving to really help the Ukrainians, trying to teach them to fight in the American way when the American way depends on having air superiority, among other factors.

It points out that British trainers are very much preferred because they listen to Ukrainian soldiers, take the actual conditions they're fighting under into account, and adjust their training accordingly.
Interesting. As the piece suggests this would not only benefit Ukraine but taking this knowledge back would give our own armies the ability to fight under different (and very modern) conditions. We hope we will never face those conditions ourselves but it's better to be prepared, I think.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Which Tyler wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:24 am I feel that our resident soldiers will enjoy this article

Not the first time that criticism has been made. The Afghan National Army was taught to fight with air and artillery support that if not quite on the same lines as full bore US Army was more than they could provide for themselves. When the US withdrew and that support went, they were a bit screwed (not withstanding lots of issues with corruption etc).

The US has always been about firepower rather than risking its troops. And it’s had logistical ability that is the envy of everyone else. But it doesn’t envisage every having to fight in any environment where it hasn’t got a tech advantage.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:44 pm

Interesting. As the piece suggests this would not only benefit Ukraine but taking this knowledge back would give our own armies the ability to fight under different (and very modern) conditions. We hope we will never face those conditions ourselves but it's better to be prepared, I think.
There’s a lot of effort being put into analysing this conflict, after all Russia is a potential adversary and China isn’t too dissimilar in its doctrine. The big concern for me is the supply chain. Too many reports of equipment stockpiles running low which is not great if our fairly small military were facing a much larger foe.
Son of Mathonwy

Sandydragon wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:56 pm
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:44 pm

There’s a lot of effort being put into analysing this conflict, after all Russia is a potential adversary and China isn’t too dissimilar in its doctrine. The big concern for me is the supply chain. Too many reports of equipment stockpiles running low which is not great if our fairly small military were facing a much larger foe.
I do wonder if we have any handheld anti-tank weapons left.