Italian Rugby

Puja

Italian Rugby

Post by Puja »

Watched this the other day and found it very interesting. I think Italy are definitely heading in the right direction by trying to build from the ground up and Squidge hits the nail on the head by saying that Italian rugby has always previously been about looking back and trying to cling on, whether that be by keeping their few good players past their prime or bringing in foreigners with a hint of Italian connection to try and buy in a team. Their age group results have certainly been a massive improvement and they could be a pretty useful team if they manage to bring those players through.

Shame they're in the pool of death for 2023, but a lot of their young guns will be in their prime for RWC 2027.

Puja
Backist Monk
tigran

Re: Italian Rugby

Post by tigran »

Good match by italia
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Thanks for that Puja. Interesting video. Their age grade teams have certainly been better than Scotland's recently. Hopefully they can have a bit of stability with their coaching and squad for a while now.

Looked a bit less flaky on Sunday so a good start would be to be in with a shout in at least one game and stop some opponents getting a bonus point.

I don't think they should worry too much about building towards the RWC (either 2023 or 2027). Some good 6Ns wins will do way more for them than the difference between a group stage exit and a quarter final one.

I don't really get the calls to chuck them out either. If it is part of an overhaul with promotion relegation etc. I can just about get it, but if you just go down to five teams or parachute in another country that is too far for most fans to travel to, you are just making the tournament worse.
oldprussians

Post by oldprussians »

Great Victory
Mr Mwenda

Post by Mr Mwenda »

Yes, good result. How close to first choice were the two teams?
Mr Mwenda

Post by Mr Mwenda »

Great stuff today! I just assumed that aus would get the kick and turned over in disgust!
Puja

Post by Puja »

Excellent result for Italy. Looking like they've really turned a corner with their recent results. Plus, a new scalp - the only top teams they have yet to beat are England and New Zealand, both of whom are making dedicated efforts right now to get down to their level.

Puja
Backist Monk
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

Capuozzo is a fantastic little player. Two tries today with blazing acceleration. He looks like a school kid playing in the Under 15s for fun.
oldprussians

Post by oldprussians »

Is it just me that thinks Italy won't come last
Puja

Post by Puja »

oldprussians wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:33 pm Is it just me that thinks Italy won't come last
I think they've got a real chance of having their best 6N yet. Really feels like they're building something there.

The fixture list isn't kind though - the best two teams in the world and England away is a hell of a start. If they'd started with Wales and Scotland, I'd absolutely think that, with a following wind, they could turn them over. Or if it was England to Rome this year, I'd be worried about that. As it is, my only concern is if they go into week 4 0/3, will they be disheartened and find it hard to pick themselves up?

Puja
Backist Monk
oldprussians

Post by oldprussians »

Puja wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:23 am
oldprussians wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:33 pm Is it just me that thinks Italy won't come last
I think they've got a real chance of having their best 6N yet. Really feels like they're building something there.

The fixture list isn't kind though - the best two teams in the world and England away is a hell of a start. If they'd started with Wales and Scotland, I'd absolutely think that, with a following wind, they could turn them over. Or if it was England to Rome this year, I'd be worried about that. As it is, my only concern is if they go into week 4 0/3, will they be disheartened and find it hard to pick themselves up?

Puja
Well the way I look at it is this.

There is no one in this group of players that will make the starting 23 that I think are out of their depth at this level
https://www.federugby.it/index.php?opti ... temid=1022

Post Franco Smith which was the worse 6N ever, Crowley said his target was Respect and Credibility.

After his 1st game in charge against NZ where Italy had a very good 65 mins he said a line was drawn line sand where they should not fall behind.

sadly they made steps forward and back as he learned about his players. Now this autumn he has found constancy.

They the thrashed Samoa, and beat Australia. And yes it was 1 point but they had 2 clear occasions to score 2 more trys, which would have put the game in different point. SA were physically too strong.

But in the 6N if they can keep the consistency, and play at their best they can compete with all the teams. I won't say they will win but they have a chance.
Mr Mwenda

Post by Mr Mwenda »

Gah, no luck v Wales so far. Just small things really going wrong but the Welsh are comfortably on too