Moderator: OptimisticJock

no sleep

Unner twennies twenny twenny two

Post by no sleep »

5-5 and a really good game so far.
no sleep

Re: Unner twennies twenny twenny two

Post by no sleep »

Bloody TMOs, the ref's just out of school. A Frenchman with a beard would have said no. I'm right.

Justice prevails, 12-5.
no sleep

Post by no sleep »

He's just grown a beard. Bravo lui.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Can't quite understand how we're ahead. England look like cutting through every time
no sleep

Post by no sleep »

Grayson.

We look the better side, pack has a slight edge, hope they have a foot-on-the-throat mentality. No individuals standing out, but a great team spirit, lots of passion.

Scotland v Grayson would be a bit unfair on some of the England players, but he's definitely keeping them in the game. Man of the match so far I'd say.
no sleep

Post by no sleep »

Still no individuals standing out, but 6 and 8 have impressed.

I did like England's line-out to the standing receiver.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Got the bonus point in the end but surely that should have been a penalty try for the hight tackle?
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Young ref learning, can give a bit of leeway I reckon.

English greater pace and power told in the end. Their outside backs looked very exciting. But some decent performances, particularly from our number 8 I thought. You can see a bit of the toonie glide in young Christian and that's a big quick unit on the wing.
no sleep

Post by no sleep »

Yes, their fast guys were better than our defence (I might have confused Arundel with Grayson, pretty much a blur). Deserved win for England, goes to show that forwards don't always determine the win, but a good showing from the lads, they can definitely get wins in the remaining matches. And great spirit to get the try bonus
no sleep

Post by no sleep »

Big D wrote:Got the bonus point in the end but surely that should have been a penalty try for the hight tackle?
Tbh I thought it was a borderline penalty, even at age-grade; I don't think it stopped a likely try - do we really want to get into questioning whether a legal tackle would have been effective?
Big D

Post by Big D »

no sleep wrote:
Big D wrote:Got the bonus point in the end but surely that should have been a penalty try for the hight tackle?
Tbh I thought it was a borderline penalty, even at age-grade; I don't think it stopped a likely try - do we really want to get into questioning whether a legal tackle would have been effective?
That's not how it works (I think). The red doesn't credit the defender with a legal act once they have committed and illegal one.

Unless it has changed again.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Big D wrote:
no sleep wrote:
That's not how it works (I think). The red doesn't credit the defender with a legal act once they have committed and illegal one.

No, I always thought you effectively imagined the defender wasn't there (though refs tend not to take this literally if it would lead to weird results).
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Just seen the highlights. England scored some great tries!
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Cameo wrote:
Big D wrote:
no sleep wrote: Tbh I thought it was a borderline penalty, even at age-grade; I don't think it stopped a likely try - do we really want to get into questioning whether a legal tackle would have been effective?

No, I always thought you effectively imagined the defender wasn't there (though refs tend not to take this literally if it would lead to weird results).
that's exactly how it works. Decide if its foul play. If it is, take the offender out of the picture and decide if a try would probably have been scored. These days if the answer is yes, its also a yellow card (bit late to matter this time|)
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Cameo wrote:Just seen the highlights. England scored some great tries!
great if you are English, fuming if you are the Scottish coaches. 12 and 13s defence was poor all game, rushing out, missing tackles but worst defending as individuals rather than as a system team. Munn hasn't a lot of experience, Gray played last season and was a very aggressive wing IIRC, he ain't a centre

From an English perspective their full back's running reminded me so much of a young Hogg. Saw the gaps, hammered through them, pace to burn. And enough savvy to slow slightly draw a man and pass when he needed to. Looked a prospect
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

switchskier wrote:Young ref learning, can give a bit of leeway I reckon.

English greater pace and power told in the end. Their outside backs looked very exciting. But some decent performances, particularly from our number 8 I thought. You can see a bit of the toonie glide in young Christian and that's a big quick unit on the wing.
pace allowed to show because the defence was very poor. Their power in the last 20 showed but as much it was we ran out of steam - always likely given how we started against the usual huge English pack

The ref was ok-ish except for his decisions on yellow cards. England had a card but too late to matter. In the first half when we had then under huge pressure he issued warnings twice, no card. We had one warning, immediate card, and conceded scores. Imagine the momentum swing had he carded an Eng player 1st half and we had scored again - Eng playing serious catch up, more errors likely etc

Not saying we could have won, but its small things that can make big swings

Agree re Toonie Jnr. Leatherbarrow was very good as he was last season when I think he played more 7. does look like another too small for 8 a top level. Can't remember name of our no14 but he looked a prospect
Tobylerone

Post by Tobylerone »

Impressive performance from the forwards for an hour or so. Pity that the threequarters looked like they`d missed training all week.
In mitigation, a couple of the English backs did look to be powered by Rolls Royce..
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

We just got tired in the end but the ref should have shown cards to England in the first half , we should really have scored another couple of tries.

Centre défensive really cost us the game
no sleep

Post by no sleep »

Lovely tip pass for that try
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Townsend is a lovely balanced runner. Would love to see him with a bit more chance to show it. A few good turnovers but we look super poris again.

Ref is super quick to blow up for turnovers
no sleep

Post by no sleep »

I went to get a cup of tea when they signalled shot at goal at the end of the first half. Did he really miss that?
no sleep

Post by no sleep »

Blowing up early for ruck offenses was a covid thing wasn't it? Have they stopped that?
no sleep

Post by no sleep »

Winger strips hooker in contact. Nice.
no sleep

Post by no sleep »

switchskier wrote:we look super poris again.
To be fair, they're running some lovely lines.
no sleep

Post by no sleep »

Am watching this on a couple of minutes' delay, but why not go for the points then?